1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

1966 F100 build

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 11:54 PM
WILD_PHIL
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So are you going to run the black gloss wheels pictured in the back of the truck? I am considering a 5 spoke around the same size.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:32 PM
Big_Texxan
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WILD_PHIL
So are you going to run the black gloss wheels pictured in the back of the truck? I am considering a 5 spoke around the same size.
Pictures are out of order on those. The wheels I painted a matte sparkle silver. The ones that are silver on the Ford are the ones Im running. Very very wide rubber. The front sits so nice and looks so good. Im waiting to mount the reas on once I get my driveshaft back

Old 07-27-2016, 08:46 PM
WILD_PHIL
New User
Got any pictures of how it's sitting now?

Old 07-27-2016, 09:15 PM
Big_Texxan
Posting Guru
I'll have to get some tomorrow. Neither of my new devices have pictures on them. I need to update because the engine is ready to fire up

Old 08-06-2016, 04:54 PM
Big_Texxan
Posting Guru
Here you go for the tire/wheel pic.

Truck fired up, and sounded very strong. I installed the accessory, valve covers, new water pump, airhat, driveshaft, and did some other minor things. Next is radiator, hoses, electric fan, windows, and exhaust.

Old 08-06-2016, 04:54 PM
Big_Texxan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by WILD_PHIL
Got any pictures of how it's sitting now?
Got your pic for ya. Look at recent post.

Old 08-29-2016, 05:25 PM
Big_Texxan
Posting Guru

Here the gauges, Tach looks right at home next to the speedo cluster. Wiring still has to be tidied up since I found a problematic wire, but it is fixed now after ripping the non-factory radio and some other uneccessary stuff out..

Also yanked the bed off to start the bracing, and fix the biggest issue areas. Also gave more room to finish the exhaust and do some fuel/brake line security

Current Update:

Trans pan has been leaking, so it has been taken off to fix the issue twice.

Flex a lite fan works, spacer did not, so the right one will be here tomorrow.

Fluids are all in, and engine has been primed

Seat is bolted down, and all electronics work accordingly

Exhaust has been fabricated and secured, went with a 2.5 all the way back, true dual, single bend in each pipe, single chamber muffler on each side, and turned down a foot behind the cab..

Wheels have also been put on the rear, and it looks great and the stance is just right for the era, and the truck isnt "bully-*******" like most fords.

All things are in order for a fire after work tomorrow and hopefully a drive if it survives the heat cycle.

Old 08-29-2016, 05:26 PM
Big_Texxan
Posting Guru
This project and I will be so much happier after my move. So progress will be a little more "progressive" having space for 6 cars.

Old 09-03-2016, 09:45 PM
Big_Texxan
Posting Guru
BIG NEWS! And lots of pictures to come tomorrow, and a video or 2.

Truck took its maiden voyage, and it went better than the Titanic. Truck has some *****. ALl the guages work except the trans cooler, which I need to track down a very odd adapter, but engine temp hovers at 180, oil pressure is great, RPM is solid, trans shifts smooth, rides very smooth, and chirps em a little bit, oh yeah, Speedometer works!

Also took the bed off, got my wood, got all my holes, slats, and braces in place, wood is now in the process of being sanded and polyurethane. Tomorrow should be bolted and bed be put back on the truck, but more test drives around giving rides to those who want em tomorrow.

I do need a new ignition switch, as ignition power is non existent, but truck does start and I have headlights, hazards, and running lights. No wipers, and no turn signals.

Have to wire some temp brake/running lights tomorrow and Ill be street legal along with the windshield too

Only have to install the drivers quarter glass, as I did not know the drivers door glass was in the truck already......

King Krusty will be on the road for a while until I rip it all back apart for the full paint, and whole engine rebuild along with a new trans since the old trans might not have much life due to finding water in the mix when we first started this build.

Over all, I am very pleased and those who look at this thread Im sure yall been waiting.

Old 09-03-2016, 09:45 PM
Big_Texxan
Posting Guru
Tomorrow will be some burnouts.... Them 12 wides already chirped today barely on throttle.

Old 09-04-2016, 05:55 AM
66ordie
Tuned
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Congrats on putting it back on the road, I can't wait for that move myself. It's coming together and looking good. I also liked the comment about coming back apart, it seems as if when the projects done it's been assembled and disassembled so many times it can be done in our sleep.

Old 09-04-2016, 06:43 AM
yankbs 66f100
Elder User
Originally Posted by Big_Texxan
Tomorrow will be some burnouts.... Them 12 wides already chirped today barely on throttle.
Keep an eye out for the blue lights, Easy money ticket for them, Laying Drags. My experience when I was your age. Progress is looking good.

Al, I don't think Jacob ever sleeps. One of the hardest working guys I know.

Old 09-04-2016, 01:44 PM
KO1960
Laughing Gas
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Power for the brake lights comes from the turn signal switch. Yours may be bad. Must feel good to get back on the road. Nice work.

Old 09-04-2016, 10:13 PM
Big_Texxan
Posting Guru
Glass went in today!

I couldnt help myself and installed LEDs in the front.

Of course the rolling out of the garage shot. My Girl and I are in it for the long voyage. Man, half throttle, that thing lights up them rear 12s, and that exhaust note is just right.

This is temporary, but the best of looking temporary i could do. Solid piece of wood, dont judge as I do not have the time to break out the band saw, and router, and all the stuff to really pretty the wood up. Test fit, and slats all look good. The raw look will look nice for a while, yes I did put polyurethane on the wood.

Slats did not stay raw, I shot a coat of aluminum on them for the time being.

Dont hate, as this round got NO rust repair. It needed to drive itself on and off the trailer when I move. The problem areas were addressed, and the frame, suspension, brakes, fuel system are all brand new. Tail lights do work, I got some temporary lights wired and while I was at it I wired in a trailer harness because I do want a same year long bed to haul behind it. I do however, have an issue with the ignition hot wire, I do NOT have turn signals, wipers, and I didnt have brake lights (another issue) due to the high amount of hack scotch locks that were installed by the PO. I will have to go back and un-**** the wiring and clean it up really nice.

Also do not have a right output signal to the front passenger side bulb. I have running light, but no hazard, traced it back, could be in the wire or somewhere further up.

Tomorrow bed and Fenders will be back on, and truck will be basically complete ready for the move, then once there, I will address somethings, drive it till i get another truck, and blow this one apart for a full restoration.

Old 09-04-2016, 10:17 PM
Big_Texxan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 66ordie
Congrats on putting it back on the road, I can't wait for that move myself. It's coming together and looking good. I also liked the comment about coming back apart, it seems as if when the projects done it's been assembled and disassembled so many times it can be done in our sleep.
Thanks man. Ive worked on so many classics, I could do it in my sleep, when I sleep. HAHA. It felt great, and has tons of power for what it is.

Originally Posted by yankbs 66f100
Keep an eye out for the blue lights, Easy money ticket for them, Laying Drags. My experience when I was your age. Progress is looking good.

Al, I don't think Jacob ever sleeps. One of the hardest working guys I know.
It was in the neighborhood, did it in front of my parents/neighbors. What disgusted me, was me taking it down a street, lady pulling out of her driveway and gave me this god awful look and said "really" as I passed. No appreciation for a classic, but she had a honda......

I wish I could sleep, but this is way more fun.

Originally Posted by KO1960
Power for the brake lights comes from the turn signal switch. Yours may be bad. Must feel good to get back on the road. Nice work.
That is what I thought, makes sense. I will have to track it down, I did wire a temporary hot wire to the brake cylinder, so I was legal and didnt tamper with origional wire.

So power for the turn signal switch comes from ignition hot right? If so, that would confirm my issue of ignition (on) hot being the issue.

Quick Reply: 1966 F100 build