1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Synthetic oil question

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 09:04 AM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
WTF why is it NOT posting my whole Reply (twice now) :-arrg

Note: apparently FTE will NOT let u post using a "greater than" Symbol,
if u use one everything u wrote after that will NOT post

Old 08-22-2015, 09:34 AM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts
If I ask which is better, a Mach truck or a Honda Accord, you would probably answer depends on what you job they are going to do. Hauling 12 yards of dirt across town the Mack would be better, but loading up the family to go shopping, maybe not. This is what I am saying. You say syn are "BETTER". Better at what? I really comes down to the job you are asking it to do. In MENNY applications the additive pac is more important than the base stock, and there are some really good conv oil base stocks out there now. In MOST applications syn are a good choice.
In engine oil the reason to change the oil is more about the additive pac depletion and impurities then the condition of the base stock. Again, I know the advantages of GOOD syn oils, but saying it is always better is just a little TOO strong of a statement. It really comes down to the job you ask of it. Myself, and all the OEMs that DON'T require syn motor oil, say you still need to follow the manufacturers recommendations for oil change intervals. I do believe the GOOD conv oil, changed at the recommended intervals, will be better in the long run for the engine, then syn that are used in extended intervals. Do not ignore the additives, syn oil with no additives will kill an engine. They need to be there to counter the acids and the crap formed from the combustion process. There is nothing wrong with running a syn. If you want to run it that is fine, but thinking your engine is better protected MIGHT not be true.
Syn do have advantages, and they do have there place, the same is true for conventional oils.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:39 AM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by King-bRanch
Kingranch,

I have a 2006 KingRanch w/a 6.0 Diesel which sits a lot, takes mostly short trips except when pulling the 5'er & have spent a lot of time/money on this very question so maybe I can help here

It takes me about 16 Months to get 5,000 Miles on my Truck & I too use Rotella T6, now before everyone says u must follow a 9 year old book & change the Oil every 12 months, think about the advances in modern Oil.

I have been doing this for quite some time & sending an oil sample to BlackStone Labs after every oil change. They continue to tell me to run the oil longer (which I don't run longer than 5k) because the TBN reading stays strong @ 5.6-8.1

The TBN only needs to be greater than 1 to protect your Engine adequately & if I can run nearly 1.5 years (5,000 miles) between changes & the Oil still has better protection properties than most Oil's right outta the jug, than Rotella T6 proves itself to me
Bitter recheck your TBN numbers!
some good reading
Do I Need a TBN?

Old 08-22-2015, 10:01 AM
evan1242
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bobv60
If I ask which is better, a Mach truck or a Honda Accord, you would probably answer depends on what you job they are going to do. Hauling 12 yards of dirt across town the Mack would be better, but loading up the family to go shopping, maybe not. This is what I am saying. You say syn are "BETTER". Better at what? I really comes down to the job you are asking it to do. In MENNY applications the additive pac is more important than the base stock, and there are some really good conv oil base stocks out there now. In MOST applications syn are a good choice.
In engine oil the reason to change the oil is more about the additive pac depletion and impurities then the condition of the base stock. Again, I know the advantages of GOOD syn oils, but saying it is always better is just a little TOO strong of a statement. It really comes down to the job you ask of it. Myself, and all the OEMs that DON'T require syn motor oil, say you still need to follow the manufacturers recommendations for oil change intervals. I do believe the GOOD conv oil, changed at the recommended intervals, will be better in the long run for the engine, then syn that are used in extended intervals. Do not ignore the additives, syn oil with no additives will kill an engine. They need to be there to counter the acids and the crap formed from the combustion process. There is nothing wrong with running a syn. If you want to run it that is fine, but thinking your engine is better protected MIGHT not be true.
Syn do have advantages, and they do have there place, the same is true for conventional oils.
i didn't say that synthetic oil is better. (even though it is)
conventional oil has poor oxidation stability at prolonged high temperatures.
also conventional oil has a harder time staying at its rated viscosity levels at higher temperatures.
your typical petroleum based conventional oil will decompose at high temperatures, and through many heat ups and cool downs. (short trips)
conventional oil can also give slow circulation during cold starts.
in some studies conventional oil have taken as long as 3 minutes to reach the rocker arms in a cold engine!
the heat issues is a big thing in our turbo charged trucks.
in any turbo charged vehicle actually.
conventional oil is a lot more likely to cook your bearings if not allowed to properly cool before the vehicle is turned off.

conventional oil and synthetic oil both come from the ground, but that's about the only thing they have in common.

sources: Pennzoil Lubrication and wear protection certification.

also, its many, not MENNY.

Old 08-22-2015, 12:16 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by King-bRanch
WTF why is it NOT posting my whole Reply (twice now) :-arrg

Note: apparently FTE will NOT let u post using a "greater than" Symbol,
if u use one everything u wrote after that will NOT post
It's seeing the greater than sign as the opening to a code tag, just have to put a space behind it to use it as a character. Tags like < B> and < /B> are used for starting and ending bold text, replace b with i for italics, u for underline, s for strike though

< b> Hello < /b>
< i> Hello < /i>
< u> Hello < /u>
< s> <s> Hello </s> < /s>
(you can't see the tags without the space because FTE hides the codes and just shows the formatted text)

Old 08-22-2015, 12:51 PM
RightWingNutJob
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 08-22-2015, 01:09 PM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by evan1242
i didn't say that synthetic oil is better. (even though it is)
conventional oil has poor oxidation stability at prolonged high temperatures.
also conventional oil has a harder time staying at its rated viscosity levels at higher temperatures.
your typical petroleum based conventional oil will decompose at high temperatures, and through many heat ups and cool downs. (short trips)
conventional oil can also give slow circulation during cold starts.
in some studies conventional oil have taken as long as 3 minutes to reach the rocker arms in a cold engine!
the heat issues is a big thing in our turbo charged trucks.
in any turbo charged vehicle actually.
conventional oil is a lot more likely to cook your bearings if not allowed to properly cool before the vehicle is turned off.

conventional oil and synthetic oil both come from the ground, but that's about the only thing they have in common.

sources: Pennzoil Lubrication and wear protection certification.

also, its many, not MENNY.
Post #10
"At NO time is conventional better than synthetic. Never."
that sounds like you are saying syn are better to me.
You arguments are all valid and thinks that should be considered. There are a LOT of diesel rigs running lots of miles running good conv oil. I can give lots of personal examples. I have also seen the mentality that sense I am running syn I don't have to change the oil. It really is a personal decision. For rig that sits a lot and only short drive the acids will build up fast. Reg oil, changed more often, will give better protection in the long term. Thinking that sense its syn I can let it stay is totally forgetting the reason the oil needs change.

BTW its coke, not cook

Old 08-22-2015, 03:02 PM
evan1242
Elder User
Take a look and post #10 again. That's not me lol.
And I don't agree with letting synthetic oil go longer in most cases. I also did not say that either.

Also again, coke is a soft drink. Cook is correct.

Old 08-22-2015, 03:18 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Synthetic oil question

Coke is correct

Attached Images  
Old 08-22-2015, 03:34 PM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
Take a look and post #10 again. That's not me lol.
And I don't agree with letting synthetic oil go longer in most cases. I also did not say that either.

Also again, coke is a soft drink. Cook is correct.
I am sorry about that, using my cell phone and its hard to keep track.

Old 08-22-2015, 04:25 PM
evan1242
Elder User
Originally Posted by phillips91
Coke is correct

I'm saying in the context that I'm using the word is correct.
I mean cook as in burn.

Just saying

Old 08-22-2015, 05:20 PM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
I'm saying in the context that I'm using the word is correct.
I mean cook as in burn.

Just saying
Anything is possible when you don't know what you are talking about

Old 08-22-2015, 05:31 PM
evan1242
Elder User
Originally Posted by bobv60
Anything is possible when you don't know what you are talking about
That's cool.
Let's move on.

Old 08-22-2015, 05:35 PM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
That's cool.
Let's move on.
Yep, you already know everything. its a waste of time for the rest of us to post here.

Old 08-22-2015, 05:40 PM
evan1242
Elder User
There you go putting words in my mouth again.
I repeat let's move on and get this thread back on topic...

Quick Reply: Synthetic oil question