Lets see those 5th wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2020, 08:50 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 4,179 Likes on 1,656 Posts
Originally Posted by JJHF250Gasser
Thanks guys. Its our first camper and we have put over 5000 miles on in a year and a half. We love it.
Have fun...... Don't skimp on maintenance...

Old 11-11-2020, 10:44 AM
Tennesseepowerstroke
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Our Grand Design Solitude

We lost our home to a tornado in March 2020 and purchased this to stay in while it is being rebuilt. Fortunately my truck was at the body shop having the tailgate repaired at the time.

Old 11-11-2020, 12:57 PM
Paw's 150 Lariat
Logistics Pro
Received 2,240 Likes on 691 Posts
Originally Posted by Tennesseepowerstroke
We lost our home to a tornado in March 2020 and purchased this to stay in while it is being rebuilt. Fortunately my truck was at the body shop having the tailgate repaired at the time.

Sorry for the loss of your house but the Solitudes are a good choice until a new house is being built. Many homes in our area have been destroyed by the hurricanes we've been having even though our house only had roof damage. Hope you two can get in the new home quickly!

Old 11-12-2020, 05:35 PM
Sparatcus
Tuned
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Very nice setup, I'm glad that it wasn't anyone hurt. Is that the 310GK?

Old 11-12-2020, 07:54 PM
Tennesseepowerstroke
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Sparatcus
Very nice setup, I'm glad that it wasn't anyone hurt. Is that the 310GK?
Thank you. Yes it is the 310GK model. That is plenty of weight for a 2003 F350. Wanted a toy hauler but did not think I had enough truck for it. I plant to pull a small enclosed trailer with a Harley in it behind the Solitude. It has a hitch and is rated to pull 3000lbs behind the trailer.

Old 11-12-2020, 07:59 PM
BigBlue6.2
Cross-Country
Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts
Thank you. Yes it is the 310GK model. That is plenty of weight for a 2003 F350. Wanted a toy hauler but did not think I had enough truck for it. I plant to pull a small enclosed trailer with a Harley in it behind the Solitude. It has a hitch and is rated to pull 3000lbs behind the trailer.

We plan to do the same thing behind our Reflection with a little utility trailer and ATV's. Love that grand design has that feature. Nice setup!

Old 11-12-2020, 08:59 PM
Sparatcus
Tuned
The 310GK 5th wheel are very nice the wife and I was looking into getting one not too long ago but with our 5th Wheel now we would be upside down so we decided to keep what we have for now and just mod it the way we want to. Thank you, it shouldn't be a problem to tow your enclosed trailer behind your 5th wheel just be safe while doing it one day we will have one but we will keep our 2019 Jayco Eagle 321RSTS which we love and it's prefect for just my wife and I, life is good.

Old 11-12-2020, 09:47 PM
chulavista
Senior User
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Oh my, I hope I don't burst your bubble - PLEASE, double check before you do this. We plan to do the same thing, I took Grand Design off my short list for trailers to purchase because I have seen a big sticker on the back of many of the trailers that says if you pull another trailer with it, you will void your warranty. Maybe they had a change of heart with their new ones....but just please verify you won't void your warranty if you double tow with your grand design fifth wheel.

Old 11-12-2020, 10:56 PM
BigBlue6.2
Cross-Country
Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by chulavista
Oh my, I hope I don't burst your bubble - PLEASE, double check before you do this. We plan to do the same thing, I took Grand Design off my short list for trailers to purchase because I have seen a big sticker on the back of many of the trailers that says if you pull another trailer with it, you will void your warranty. Maybe they had a change of heart with their new ones....but just please verify you won't void your warranty if you double tow with your grand design fifth wheel.
He should be fine. Grand Design states its rated for 300lb tongue weight, 3,000 lb trailer weight, and the hitch has hooks for safety chains and a 4 pin plug. Actually one of the reasons we were set on a new GD 5'er.

Old 11-12-2020, 11:37 PM
Sparatcus
Tuned
Originally Posted by BigBlue6.2
We plan to do the same thing behind our Reflection with a little utility trailer and ATV's. Love that grand design has that feature. Nice setup!
This is a very nice setup, my wife always tease me when we be going down the road and every 5th wheel and TT that pass us going the other direction I always look, if it safe of course but yeah this is a nice setup.

Old 11-13-2020, 08:13 AM
Tennesseepowerstroke
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by chulavista
No worries. You didn't "burst my bubble". Per the hitch, manual, and Grand Design website, it is rated to tow 3000lbs.

Old 11-13-2020, 12:38 PM
Great Danes
More Turbo
Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts
Just brought home our new 2021 Reflection 28BH. Unfortunately, it is going into storage now until the spring, but we are super excited to get out with it then. In the meantime we have sooooo many things to buy for it

Old 11-13-2020, 06:06 PM
Sparatcus
Tuned
Originally Posted by Great Danes
Just brought home our new 2021 Reflection 28BH. Unfortunately, it is going into storage now until the spring, but we are super excited to get out with it then. In the meantime we have sooooo many things to buy for it

Congrats! Man that setup look awesome I know that it will be hard to not to want to get out there, we bought our 5th wheel in last July and was only able to get out once before we had to put it up it wasn't easy.

Old 11-13-2020, 09:48 PM
chulavista
Senior User
No worries. You didn't "burst my bubble". Per the hitch, manual, and Grand Design website, it is rated to tow 3000lbs.
This is great news! The other mfgs advertise this as a perk, Grand Design didn't before now. Most all of them advertise about 300 lbs hitch weight and 3,000 lbs tow max. Just FYI, for most states that allow tandem towing, this is the cut off weight for needing trailer brakes on the second trailer. I know this because I've researched this very thing extensively.

Old 11-13-2020, 09:51 PM
chulavista
Senior User
Originally Posted by BigBlue6.2
He should be fine. Grand Design states its rated for 300lb tongue weight, 3,000 lb trailer weight, and the hitch has hooks for safety chains and a 4 pin plug. Actually one of the reasons we were set on a new GD 5'er.
That is a relief, GD didn't used to set their trailers up for this. That's great news!

Quick Reply: Lets see those 5th wheels