6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Today is the day........

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 07:41 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts
On a happier note, I just started researching the Keys since Steve may be heading there. I was surprised to find a ton of RV parks there that are big enough for us. Heck, they can even accommodate this! I think I need one but the stacker needs to be enclosed...

Old 12-31-2016, 08:04 AM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
That's quite the setup, but I agree. If they have the money for the rest of that, why stop short of an enclosed double decker trailer? I have been as far south as Miami, but never to the Keys. Maybe some day. I enjoy SCUBA, and hear there is great diving there.

Old 12-31-2016, 08:11 AM
System
Prolocutor
Doug, I've always wanted to dive. I'm obsessing over RV parks there now and that beautiful blue green water looks like quite the adventure to explore. I hope Steve goes through with his plans so I can hear a little first hand advice about the area. Looks like Bluewater Key RV Resort is the nicest but most expensive and is mostly seasonal. Boyd's is a winner too and all the way down in Key West with a KOA nearby too. Maryann is ready to go tomorrow! Missing the snowmobiles? Nah... LOL We've been at the other end of Rt 1 at the top of Maine in Fort Kent. Now it's time to hit the other end...

Here's our experience with the north end. Great place to stay when riding but a bit cooler than the other end...

Old 12-31-2016, 08:29 AM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
I haven't logged a whole bunch of hours diving, but have been fortunate to dive some pretty neat places, such as Molokini Crater off of Maui, and all around the island of Guam. I really enjoy it and honestly think you guys would love it too. Getting your certs isn't difficult, once you find a dive shop you like. I would think there should be a shop or two up there you could use for certs before you head south.
Additionally, a lot of shops in SCUBA areas will offer introductory dives, where you SCUBA with minimal training, and a divemaster within arm's reach while under water to help with buoyancy control and monitoring you for issues - if you don't want to get certified due to time, money or lack of interest, but still want to dive. They will keep you between 30 and 50 feet for a half hour typically.

Old 12-31-2016, 08:33 AM
System
Prolocutor
Not sure if Maryann would be game. My friend Stan is a big dive guy and I'm betting if I was there someday, he'd drag his XLR there too and could show me the ropes.

Old 12-31-2016, 08:36 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My folks are in Marathon, fl right now and they really like being there. They and some of their friends go to Jolly Roger campground. Check it out because I hear it's nice.

Old 12-31-2016, 08:37 AM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
I had a friend here that was certified and owned his own gear. He took me to a dive shop to rent a tank, and let me use his gear in my back yard pool. I wouldn't advise going open water with no experience by yourself, but with an experienced certified diver or divemaster, it isn't a big deal to go out within certain parameters. With modern dive computers, it is pretty easy. You will still have to learn how to read and use dive tables, and control your buoyancy, but none of that is terribly difficult.

Old 12-31-2016, 08:43 AM
System
Prolocutor
Thanks for the insight Doug.

Looking at JRC now Joel. Appreciate the lead. Don't want to get too excited as we won't be going for a while but I do love research...

The more I look at these places, the more I realize I'll be the only one left with any color in my hair if we go...LOL. Lots of water aerobics going on by folks as my step dad used to refer to himself... "Q-tips." LOL...

Old 12-31-2016, 08:47 AM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
While you're surfing the net Rodney, check out NAUI and PADI. They are the two predominant certification organizations here and are recognized world-wide.

https://www.naui.org/

https://www.padi.com/

Old 12-31-2016, 10:02 AM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat

Nice setup!!! Now that's a toy hauler.

We drove to Key West once and certainly hope to do it again at some point in the future. My memory remembers the trip from Miami to Marathon (about half way) as being very lived in. Very touristy and kind of run down. From Marathon to Key West, beautify and exactly what you would hope for driving over the blue water.

Most of Key West was very nice and a fun place for adults that enjoy walking around, having a great meal and listening to music over a few drinks.

We visited a beach that we call vagrant beach. Several old vans were parked in the parking lots along with guys hanging around, fishing, drinking, etc. As we walked past one of the vans, you could clearly see inside the van, an older man, sitting on a 5 gallon bucket grinding one out. We didn't stay at the beach long. Seems that most warm areas we have visited, Hawaii, California, and Florida have a vagrancy problem. Cold must drive most of the out of the north.

bruce...

Old 12-31-2016, 10:09 AM
System
Prolocutor
I need mental bleach to clean my mind's eye after that one Bruce! LOL...

Old 12-31-2016, 11:17 AM
STOF-FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Doug, I've always wanted to dive. I'm obsessing over RV parks there now and that beautiful blue green water looks like quite the adventure to explore. I hope Steve goes through with his plans so I can hear a little first hand advice about the area. Great place to stay when riding but a bit cooler than the other end...

[/IMG]
Mornin' everyone and Happy New Year's Eve:

I'm pretty confident we will be heading towards the Keys in the near future. The more we talk about it, the more sure I am. It will be the last long haul for BEAR, my '14 F350, but I figure those are the dealer's miles now and not mine since the trade-in is locked in.

Rodney, as far as the diving is concerned, you should really check it out. Our two sons were fortunate enough to get certified and hooked on SCUBA for life when they were in Boy Scouts. Their troop made an annual trip to Cozumel just for diving. Believe it or not, as a percentage of total population, Colorado has the highest percentage of certified divers in the country. My wife pushed me to do it for years, but I was chicken. She finally just signed us up and the picture below is the entire family on our first of many family dive trips in 2001. It is on Key Largo where my wife and I did our open water certifications. Since then, we have been fortunate to dive all over the Caribbean as a family. I love it.

We want to get a fair bit of diving in now in order to get back into practice. My youngest son, Tom, is getting married on St. Lucia at the Sandals resort there in April. There will be plenty of diving there. After the wedding, my wife and I, along with our oldest son, Jeff and his girl, have rented a 40 ft catamaran and will be sailing south to Grenada for two weeks. Plenty of diving along the way.

Once we get some dates and venues set for Florida I'll update everyone on the plans.

Attached Images  
Old 12-31-2016, 11:21 AM
System
Prolocutor
Funny you mention Cozumel. My buddy Stan was just there diving over Thanksgiving. Not a traditional way to spend the holiday but he had a blast.

Old 12-31-2016, 11:50 AM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 4,179 Likes on 1,656 Posts
You could always pick up the offending Prius and throw it in the back if they swerve at you...
Originally Posted by EO2SeaBee
They're already junk. They SHOULD climb in on their own.
Easy now...........Lynn likes her Prius. 50 mpg........

Old 12-31-2016, 11:54 AM
System
Prolocutor
OMG, what just befell my thread... Roy...

Quick Reply: Today is the day........