6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Today is the day........

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 04:40 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
I figured being 3-pt capable, the hoe was removable, and powered via 3-pt. A box blade is a surprisingly handy 3-pt attachment as well. Depending on the capacity of the 3-pt, a 3-pt hitch is also handy for moving trailers around with a short wheel base vehicle.

Old 12-23-2018, 04:53 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,204 Likes on 578 Posts
The hoe sits on a factory installed subframe but isn't run by the 3pt from what I've read Doug. Just directly off the tractor's hydro pump. Maybe I'm mistaken but I think that's the setup.

Old 12-23-2018, 05:07 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
That would be cool Rodney. I haven't paid any attention to that type tractor, so I have no insight on them. My dad has a 3-pt attached backhoe on his older Kubota.The hydraulic unit for the hoe is contained on the hoe frame, and the pump mounts to the PTO shaft. To run the hoe, we just engage the PTO at 540 RPMs, hop into the hoe seat and do what we need to. It is independent of the tractor hydraulics. My FEL does use on-board hydraulics though, and the reservoir doubles for the transmission.

Old 12-23-2018, 05:20 PM
System
Prolocutor
Yep, you just connect the hoe to the rear hoses on the tractor. No separate 3pt pump.

Old 12-23-2018, 05:27 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
Yep, you just connect the hoe to the rear hoses on the tractor. No separate 3pt pump.
My tractor has no remotes, but I didn't spend big bux on it either - (not that the two are necessarily related). Remotes at least on the rear are nice to have, and the backhoe you are looking at is a fine example of why.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:09 PM
elee3
Fleet Mechanic
Received 229 Likes on 133 Posts
Rodney, if you do get a FEL, it’s very advisable to get quick disconnect bucket. Mine has the skid steer attachment setup, which allows for a lot of options. I have a pallet fork attachment for it and it stays on there probably 75% of the time. It is so very useful. I think my next purchase will be a grapple to handle logs. Can’t come soon enough as I have lots of hurricane toppled trees to take care of this winter. My little tractor has been such a back saver. Worth every penny.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:17 PM
System
Prolocutor
A grapple is on the potential list for sure Lee with the log piles I have waiting for me...

Old 12-23-2018, 07:36 PM
elee3
Fleet Mechanic
A grapple is on the potential list for sure Lee with the log piles I have waiting for me...
Good plan! Wish I would’ve ordered one with the tractor so that I could’ve included it on the zero % for 60 months deal. I just priced one Friday and it was $3100 installed. That includes installing the third function hydraulic valve with thumb switch.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:40 PM
elee3
Fleet Mechanic
The pallet forks work really well for logs, it’s just not as easy to load them as with the grapple. The biggest issue with the grapple on a smaller tractor is using a bigger percentage of your lift capacity just for the equipment.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:41 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
I don't remember you saying anything about a 1? Then again we go back and fourth on so many things, perhaps you did. If I was against it when you mentioned it, it's likely because I was strictly mower shopping at that point. If I was just mowing, then the 7 would be a much better fit being a fuely gasser with 4ws. However, after begging for help to do our well closing and title 5 at this house from a neighbor with a BX Kubby, I saw the need for a FEL and BH.

I was on the big tractor kick for a long time but in the end, I just didn't have enough projects to justify such a tall expense. However, if it could be my regular mower (my X324 sold last week...) AND do some utility work.... well now then... there is an expense I can get behind. And a sorter expense to boot. I also wasn't confident that a SCUT could play in the dirt well enough to justify its existence. I was pleasantly surprised by my neighbors rig though which got me thinking of the 1 series.

The baby 2 series (2025R) is almost identical to the 1025R but for taller tires and a slightly larger hydro pump to handle the heavier steering. It is fitted with the same loader and BH. They stretched it a bit to get the big tires under it and the seat area is more narrow with the larger tires stretching the fenders a bit. Otherwise, a very similar machine. Same motor, body, etc. The way I read about it, if you're mowing 80% of the time and using it for TLB work 20%, get the 1025. If your using it often as a TLB and also mowing, get the 2025. The 1025 being shorter and lower to the ground makes it a more nimble mower. The 2025 with it's extra weight along with wider and longer stance make it a better digger.

(The other tractors in the 2 line are large frame and a completely different animal. Price is commensurate.)
I definetely agree with your thoughts on usage. Either would do what you need. The little 2 sounds like a winner to me..........but it's not my $$$$$. Sounds like the attachments will all be the same so that's simple. While minimal, bigger, wider tires lower have lower ground pressure. Staying with the little 2 also gets you the bigger unit and stays under the emissions threshhold. From what read when zero turn shopping JD 7 iron decks cut very well. If that transfers over to the tractors I don't know, guess the trick would be to compare blade tip speed.

Either way, we'll just hold on for the ride until something lands in your driveway!

Old 12-23-2018, 08:14 PM
System
Prolocutor
Old 12-23-2018, 10:24 PM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Received 445 Likes on 141 Posts
Yep, if we were going with radiant it would be in floor though as I'm not a fan of baseboard radiation. It's a dust trap and killer on my allergies. First floor of the new place will be warm anyways with a wood furnace cranking away in the basement. Second floor floors never really get cold anyways so I should be good....

On the mower front, I just threw one more into the mix. The JD 2025R is only 2k more than the 1025R. The 2 series is as big as you can go and still have a nice drive over finish 60" mmm so no risk of me going bigger from there. The 2025R is the smallest motor in the 2 series but really all I need. As Tyler and I were talking about earlier, more HP is only necessary for 3 point implements which I don't have a desire for. The mower doesn't need more than 25HP and the BH and FEL have hydraulic advantage and don't need big HP. Hmmm.....
Rodney, if you read back several pages, you will see that I recommended the 2 Series!

I have the JD 2027 (previous gen 2R Series) and I highly recommend it! Definitely go with the 2 over the 1, especially if you are going to put a hoe on it. I don't have a hoe, but have a loader, 62" MMM, and several 3-point attachments. I can go from mowing to loader work in less than 5 minutes with the drive over deck. I had a Kubota BX2200 as well, and the deck is 1000x easier to get on and off the Deere. With that said, I think you would be happy with a JD or a K. Good luck!

Old 12-24-2018, 06:46 AM
System
Prolocutor
The deck on and off is def much easier from the videos I watched Tom. I do like the K's new system for removing the hoe though. They also have the universal style quick attach for the FEL bucket so you can use aftermarket attachments where Deere's system is proprietary forcing you to buy all future attachments from them. Both the Deere 2 series and the Kubota BX have been completely redesigned in the last year or so. The JD baby 2 series is really nothing like yours Tom. It's much closer to a 1 series... just with bigger tires.

Man, I love new stuff but I really can't make a decision on this. I keep going back to my dump trailer debate. I really wanted the BWise Ultimate because it could do everything I wanted. However, I realized for the same money I could buy a cheap dump and a nice enclosed trailer and have the best of both worlds. I'm starting to wonder the same about this decision. Should I just buy a nice finish tractor (5 or perhaps 7 series) and then revisit a nice larger tractor later. Maybe go back to the 4 series Deere or Kubota L4701 that I was after. The only thing I know for sure this fine Christmas Eve morning is... Maryann is very grateful for you guys listening to my nonsense on this. She has about enough tractor talk around here to last her a lifetime....

Old 12-24-2018, 07:34 AM
elee3
Fleet Mechanic
Personally, I wouldn’t try to mix the work tractor and the finish mower. The main two things being the size of the tractor and the turf tires. Turf tires on a tractor are like putting your offensive linemen in flip flops. Without traction they are both ineffective. My neighbor has a tiny JD that’s an older version of what you are looking at, and he’s always complaining that it is too small to do anything. My tractor is 38hp (Kubota L3800) and I wouldn’t want anything smaller. I would go larger for higher FEL lift capacity, but my property has lots of trees and this machine is perfect size for maneuvering around them.

Old 12-24-2018, 07:36 AM
System
Prolocutor
That's exactly what I was considering Lee. Thanks for posting your experience...

Quick Reply: Today is the day........