2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Updated Spy Shots of Super Duty

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 11:30 PM
George C
Cargo Master
Received 504 Likes on 294 Posts
I read about one sentence of your post before I became utterly bored from the drivel.
I couldn't care less about what you do.
If you don't like the truck, go away..

Back to the 2017 Ford Super Duty.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:07 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,200 Likes on 574 Posts
Originally Posted by George C
I read about one sentence of your post before I became utterly bored from the drivel.
I couldn't care less about what you do.
If you don't like the truck, go away..

Back to the 2017 Ford Super Duty.
Well, you're not that bright so I realize it's hard to keep up. Don't worry little fella, you'll get there someday.

As to the 2017 area of the board, I like it and think I'll stay. It it irritates you, all the better...

Old 06-23-2015, 07:50 AM
George C
Cargo Master
Funny guy.
Follow my lead and press ignore.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:54 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
Now that you two gents are finished swapping insults, let's get this thread back on track so we mods don't have to conduct a massive cleanup.

Please feel free to discuss your likes and/or dislikes with regard to the "spy shots" but let's dispense with the bickering.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:00 AM
George C
Cargo Master
My apologies.
I don't get down in the gutter.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:31 PM
ByersFarm
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure why anyone would want to get away from a tried and true dana 60, and move to something else. Some of the worst riding trucks I've ever owned were GM ifs trucks. Everyone has different needs and a solid front axle fits my needs. After a couple hundred thousand miles our trucks get used to haul hunters through flooded fields. IFS doesn't work for us for a myriad of reasons.

Old 06-26-2015, 05:44 AM
System
Prolocutor
Right. Everyone has different needs and likes. No truck will fulfill all your likes and needs so you buy the one that has the most in the plus column and the least in the minus. The last time around for me, it was a Ford. Will see what is available the next time around.

As to ride quality, the current version of GM's IFS is the best ride of the big three HD trucks and they've beefed it up quite a bit too. I'm sure Ford could do the same or better if they tried. Hell, Ford is the only one with the nads to build their own diesel and done quite well with it. If you can design a complete diesel from scratch, I'm fairly certain you could build a HD IFS too.

Old 06-26-2015, 05:12 PM
Jefff H
Senior User
I would like to see IFS. I've had both and IMO the IFS is better.

Old 06-27-2015, 07:24 AM
George C
Cargo Master
I'm not sure what some are looking at with the GM. It has the exact same 1" archaic torsion bar IFS front suspension it has always had since Christ was an alter boy.
Totally Stone Age and not exactly rough road compliant in any way, shape or form.. If you carry a plow, or load the front end in any way, you better have the tension set exactly the same, of you will be buying tires. It's a proven suspension, but still very archaic 1950s technology. Out of the three, it's probably the worst.

I have both a heavy GM that my company use as a work truck, and an F-350 for my personal truck. Both can not be confused with an Escalade, but the positives of the Ford outweigh the GM because the ride is no better with IFS.

Old 06-27-2015, 08:24 AM
liquidlounge
Tuned
Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts
Ford already has IFS , if you want it its called an F150. Buyers who actually need the capabilities of a Superduty truck are going to be less concerned about about an incremental degradation in ride. Like the solid front axle or not, it can't be argued that Ford knows what sells these trucks. Also, I don't think you could find any evidence for Christ being an alter boy, although He did serve.

Old 06-27-2015, 08:27 AM
System
Prolocutor
I'd prefer someone (IE: Ford) to offer a truck that provides both. Better ride quality AND strength. Why does everyone have to have an either/or mentality?

Old 06-27-2015, 08:42 AM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Received 73 Likes on 36 Posts
There are always trade offs in engineering. Its almost impossible to get the best of everything in one design.

Old 06-27-2015, 08:51 AM
System
Prolocutor
This wouldn't be reinventing the wheel. If Ford can build a new diesel from scratch, I'm sure this would be in the realm of possibility. I think the obstacle is the preconceived notion that IFS is weak from the days when it was. If the majority of buyers believe it can't be done then they won't buy it even if it is done correctly. It's more of a marketing problem than an engineering one IMHO.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:11 AM
George C
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by liquidlounge
Ford already has IFS , if you want it its called an F150. Buyers who actually need the capabilities of a Superduty truck are going to be less concerned about about an incremental degradation in ride. Like the solid front axle or not, it can't be argued that Ford knows what sells these trucks. Also, I don't think you could find any evidence for Christ being an alter boy, although He did serve.

Like I said, I have both side by side, and I drive both daily. I find the Ford actually rides better, but not my much. it does have a longer wheel base, and that's probably the difference.

If you look at what it takes to support a heavy pick up load factor, there isn't much room left for ride compliance. Look at the thickness of the torsion bar GM needs to use to make it work on their heavy trucks.
I just don't understand why this is even a debate.
Don't like it? Buy something else. Ford heavy truck owners want a live axle, hence Ford's continued use and my continued business.

If you drive a short wheelbase, short cab heavy truck, then expect the worst.
If you want a better ride, go with the 172" and the ride difference is big. Better yet, buy an F-150 as suggested above.

Old 06-27-2015, 01:26 PM
Jefff H
Senior User
Another thing I noticed on my GM HD and my three f150s W/IFS is that the tires wore significantly better.

I think there are many heavy truck owners that are ready for an upgrade.

Quick Reply: Updated Spy Shots of Super Duty