Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

last year for a v8 f150

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 01:44 AM
MJFNH
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont think we'll see Ford drop the V8 from their truck line any time soon. The 5.0 is a polished engine, getting the same fuel economy as the Eco. Mine gets 19 average even in this cold temp with winter blend fuel, higher in warmer weather. People talk about towing the the V6...they can't match towing with an 8 up grades or in wind....thats a struggle point for the Eco and any owner will tell you their fuel economy struggles badly. I'm not bashing the Eco at all mind you....just stating fact. To be honest I'm a bit surprised they haven't offered a Turbo V8. The truck market insists on offering V8 engines...we Americans have always loved an 8! Someone mentioned cylinder deactivation...my opinion, having owned two Chevys with it....the last was a 2014 Silverado....it sucks. My Ford 5.0 gets the same gas mileage without shutting down cylinders, and doesn't suffer from the vibrations you get when in 4 cyl mode. It's so great, a lot of guys end up buying Range chips just to shut off the 4 cyl mode in GM trucks LOL.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:18 PM
rutherk1
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would be a sad day when Toyota and Nissan offer a V8 in their 1/2 ton pickup and Ford doesn't. . I remember when the T100 came out and got lambasted for no V8 offering. The 6.2 with hydraulic power steering should still be an option

Old 03-18-2015, 11:29 PM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree that as long as the competition has V8 options and V8 engines continue to sell in decent volume, Ford will offer at least one if not multiple V8 options.

One of the reason's the Manual transmission went the way of the dodo is because of sales...I remember reading somewhere once that in their last year of offering true Manual transmission pickups, the stick shift option accounted for less than 5% total sales for that year.

If the V8 engine ever drops down to that low volume in sales, then I think Ford might consider axing, because the profit simply wouldn't be there. But I doubt that will happen and here's why.

Advertisement. As has already been stated Ford advertises the HELL out of the Ecoboost...Every commercial talks about the Ecoboost, every test drive event pushes the Ecoboost trucks to the front of the line. Ford is REALLY pushing the Ecoboost engines hard...Yet, despite that, the 5.0L still essentially match's the Ecoboost sales figures without the hardcore advertisement. The 5.0L is an excellent engine that sales well based on it's own merits, It's a great combination of efficiency and power. My 2011 5.0L FX4 has been an excellent truck since day one. Some people ''And yes I am one of those people'' just prefer to have a V8.

As much of a hard on as Ford has for the Ecoboost engine's these days, I do not think Ford is so foolish as to kill the V8 engine in the F-150's because they know that would alienate a large percentage of their customers. If that were the case the more Ford loyal would be forced to step up to a Superduty in order to get their V8 and the less Ford loyal would likely just jump ship to the competition. This is something I'm sure Ford has taken into account.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:10 AM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I swear the OP changed the first post to soften his tone.

Anyway, I gave the OP a hard time because he had nothing to back up the claim. But in reality I do suspect the V8 will die soon in F150. Two reasons why,

(1) fuel economy and emission standards;
(2) I heard the VP of truck engineering in a recent video say the V8 isn't needed. It wasn't a statement of what will happen, but you can see the idea has taken seed.

Item 1 is key. The business has to re-evaluate the situation each and every time an engine needs a redesign to meet the standards. The 5.0L is coming to end of life soon... What will replace it? I would not be surprised to see use of electrics coupled with smaller engines.

None of us know what will come next but we do know one thing for certain -- change is coming!

Old 03-19-2015, 03:55 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,230 Likes on 808 Posts
Originally Posted by QwkTrip

Anyway, I gave the OP a hard time because he had nothing to back up the claim. But in reality I do suspect the V8 will die soon in F150. Two reasons why,

(2) I heard the VP of truck engineering in a recent video say the V8 isn't needed. It wasn't a statement of what will happen, but you can see the idea has taken seed.

Item 1 is key. The business has to re-evaluate the situation each and every time an engine needs a redesign to meet the standards. The 5.0L is coming to end of life soon... What will replace it? I would not be surprised to see use of electrics coupled with smaller engines.

None of us know what will come next but we do know one thing for certain -- change is coming!

This makes perfect sense. Back in the day, A Ford Torino, a car much the same size as the current Taurus would have had a 302 or a 351 and a three speed auto.

Old 03-19-2015, 05:28 PM
LSchicago2
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by QwkTrip

He did edit. Originally he said 2015 was the last year, no mention of 2019 as it now reads. Threads like this are a chore to reply to.....

Old 03-19-2015, 06:01 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep, that's right! I remember now.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:17 PM
yak
Senior User
Originally Posted by LSchicago2
He did edit. Originally he said 2015 was the last year, no mention of 2019 as it now reads. Threads like this are a chore to reply to.....
i never edited the original post you guys. when you edit it says it has been edited doesn't it????.

Old 03-21-2015, 05:57 PM
Ancona
Senior User
Originally Posted by yak
i never edited the original post you guys. when you edit it says it has been edited doesn't it????.
I posted about 2.5 hrs after the original post, and its looks the same now as it was then.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:27 AM
rutherk1
Senior User
They will offer V8s. There is nothing special about a V6 that makes it automatically get better fuel economy when you have twin turbos strapped to it.

People are claiming 20+ mpg in the Ram Hemi. I believe that is better MPG than the EcoBoost. GM Claims 22 on their big 6.2 and its still push rod motor. GM can get 22MPG out of a pushrod 6.2 liter and Ford hardly manages that in a 3.7L V6.

Its all about how you engineer the engine. While lacking the TQ of the Eco, the 5.0 mpg claims are right in par with the 3.7 EcoBoost. I not sure a rated 22 mpg highway V6 is something to brag about. Don't get me wrong, the EcoBoost has proven a powerful engine with great low end TQ. We will see how it does in the long run.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:35 AM
LSchicago2
Fleet Mechanic
I have got as good as 25 MPG in my RCSB 5.0. That is 55-60 MPH though.

Old 04-18-2015, 05:19 PM
yak
Senior User
I had a engineer from ford tell me recently that v8 f150s are slated to be dropped within 5 years

Old 04-19-2015, 06:35 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by yak

Only if you give a reason for the edit, otherwise it will not say that it has been edited.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:28 PM
brokenleg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Eventually, 1/2 tons will have 4s and 6s......fuel economy is why. 1/2 tons have fuel economy standards......cars have had this for years. trucks didn't. now they do.

Old 04-20-2015, 04:26 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,230 Likes on 808 Posts
I can see this becoming a likewise situation of the mid 70's when feds were forcing us all to switch over from regular gas to unleaded. The F-150 was conceived because it was heavy enough to still run regular gas until the regs changed for all gas burners.

I could see a V-8 going into an F-150 HD or a truck with the Max Tow option.

Quick Reply: last year for a v8 f150