6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Lower ECT, lost heat, and puked!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 12:42 AM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
A simple way to spcheck hot water flow is to pull the grey vacuum hose to the actuator under the hood. No vacuum means the valve will default open. Now run the truck to heat it up and you should slowly get water temp equivalent to the ECT over time. In colder temps with no winter front, you will see fluctuation in coolant temp, as the thermostat opens, it will pull cooler water from the radiator, then the temp will go down a bit until the engine heats up and opens up thermostat again. Check the water temp in the coolant line to the heater with a IR gun at the metal pipe. The closer to the ECT temp the better the pump is working. I think your issues are kind of unrelated. What is your percentage of coolant to water? Boil over if coolant not better than 40% antifreeze. 200 degree water at the sensor means somewhere it's hotter and at 212 it will boil with straight water. 22 degree air will cause the fluctuation in water temps because the thermostat is opening and closing off, as it pulls cold water from the rad. I think some other good things in this post to check, cracked tank, leaking down only, bad cap, all potential culprits. I also think a thorough check of the hose under the tank as a potential to leak down. Anyways, hope you have fun resolving this, and I hope it's simple!

Old 02-28-2015, 05:46 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Per4mance
Check water pump flow, maybe the impellar bit the dust
This is the first thing that crossed my mind with all his symptoms.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:42 AM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BLADE35
I thought you just did work to your truckwhat did you do and was it doing this before I assume NO
Nope haven't started the work yet. This was basically out of the blue.
After sleeping on things last night I am leaning toward water pump (at the moment)

2006 F350 4X4

Old 02-28-2015, 02:37 PM
Super Duty Service
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Per4mance
I got a feeling you got the same problem I have. I haven't done the tests yet but I think my EGR cooler is slightly cracked and lets in gases when it gets really cold forming a gas pocket in the system.......I just ordered a IPR EGR delete kit and a oil cooler plus some other goodies. I doubt it's the head gaskets but we shall see after the delete is in
Where'd ya get that sweet IPR kit Bill???? Lol

Prob haven't gotten it yet tho huh???

Old 02-28-2015, 02:50 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
It came today Ant, looks good,Thanks a bunch,I am going to look into the manifold for the coolant filter......have you used it yet?........Stereo came today too.........got video now!!!! Tell Juli I like the filters......we need to talk

Old 02-28-2015, 03:35 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Super Duty Service

Where'd ya get that sweet IPR kit Bill???? Lol

Prob haven't gotten it yet tho huh???
Im hoping this snafu doesn't kill my delete plans--after being sick I'm a couple weeks behind now.

2006 F350 4X4

Old 03-01-2015, 12:59 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
I think this has been talked about before but what is the best way to test flow. It looks like a PIA to get to so I want to make sure it's bad before I go pulling it.

2006 F350 4X4

Old 03-01-2015, 04:51 PM
dannyboy950
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Flow meter

The most accurate way is with a calibrated flow thru meter.
The problem is most people are not gonna have access to one.
I have one because I used to do a lot of hyraulics. It measures flow of any liquid and it really doesn't matter the input or output size because it is calibrated to the flow thru the orifice. The one I have is about 1 1/4 in. in dia
6 in long and tapped for 3/4 NPT but can be adapted to any size. Rated for 10,000 PSI and 300 GPM. A bit more than you would need but is calibrated for as little a 5 GPM. up to 300 GPM.

About $300 tho from ww grainger used to have them. Mine is 20 years old or better so they last. Made out of lexan.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:56 PM
Double4LinkDiesel
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did a set of head gaskets on a car, and to confirm the theory is, I just ran the car with the degas cap off, and smelled in side the bottle, there was bubbles, and exhaust fumes. But I am not sure if this would work on the 6.0.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:05 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Yeah you can due thd bubble test in degas to check for egr cooler or hg but I'm looking at water pump. I'm not overheating, egr is dry, no smoke. I did look today and when it puked I lost more than I thought. Refilled took a drive to temp and all was well except it seemed the heat cooled a tad when at idle. I checked for leaks at the degas bottle and couldn't find any.

2006 F350 4X4

Old 03-01-2015, 07:18 PM
CPB1
Posting Guru
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Subscribed,

Gonna follow this one with you David.

I also have a coolant issue. I am leaking coolant somewhere in the front. I can't see it leak when it's warmed up and running and it doesn't leak if relieve all the pressure after I park it. Going from 200 deg down to 10 deg seems to be taking it's toll on it.

I was also thinking possibly water pump but really not sure.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:25 PM
CPB1
Posting Guru
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
One more thing,

If you need to remove the radiator, which I believe you do to change the water pump, you will need the special tool for the trans cooler lines.

Amazon.com: Lisle 39660 3/8" x 1/2" Transmission Oil Cooler Line Scissor: Automotive Amazon.com: Lisle 39660 3/8" x 1/2" Transmission Oil Cooler Line Scissor: Automotive

Thanks goes to Rusty

Old 03-01-2015, 07:32 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by CPB1
One more thing,

If you need to remove the radiator, which I believe you do to change the water pump, you will need the special tool for the trans cooler lines.

Video Link: http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-39660-Transmission-Cooler-Scissor/dp/B005MVBENO/ref=pd_sim_auto_3/186-2540224-8206368?ie=UTF8&refRID=0W3YRJDKTZHQ55BHVTQJ

Thanks goes to Rusty

Yeah I need to get one of those. Watched part of a utube vid and don't think you have to pull the rad although it would make it easier. Worst one I've done was on a 99 2 door sporty type Cadillac. I still have the scares lol

2006 F350 4X4

Old 03-02-2015, 08:29 AM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by mhoefer
A simple way to spcheck hot water flow is to pull the grey vacuum hose to the actuator under the hood. No vacuum means the valve will default open. Now run the truck to heat it up and you should slowly get water temp equivalent to the ECT over time. In colder temps with no winter front, you will see fluctuation in coolant temp, as the thermostat opens, it will pull cooler water from the radiator, then the temp will go down a bit until the engine heats up and opens up thermostat again. Check the water temp in the coolant line to the heater with a IR gun at the metal pipe. The closer to the ECT temp the better the pump is working. I think your issues are kind of unrelated. What is your percentage of coolant to water? Boil over if coolant not better than 40% antifreeze. 200 degree water at the sensor means somewhere it's hotter and at 212 it will boil with straight water. 22 degree air will cause the fluctuation in water temps because the thermostat is opening and closing off, as it pulls cold water from the rad. I think some other good things in this post to check, cracked tank, leaking down only, bad cap, all potential culprits. I also think a thorough check of the hose under the tank as a potential to leak down. Anyways, hope you have fun resolving this, and I hope it's simple!
Ok--trip to work this morning--stopped at a station just up the road before I was at normal temp to check the coolant before I got on the interstate--had foaming and puke (which I had expected due to I purposely over filled a tad and still have the cap that is now bad) I did notice the heat wasn't blowing as warm when I got back in. For the record I'm not concerned with the heater as that is not needed for the engine to run Got on the interstate and all was normal 200 ect 205 eot all the way to work. Got out at work and checked--no puke once at proper level and the metal heater hose pipe was HOT--could only touch it for a few seconds so I'm suspecting now my water pump is good? I do need to check the egr again to see if it's wet. Oh my concentration of coolant is a tad higher than 50/50.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:53 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
just an FYI keep your receipts on the degas cap from ford--I was just told they even have a 2 year warranty on them now. Just picked one up so will grab my receipt from the previous one and get my money back on it.

Quick Reply: Lower ECT, lost heat, and puked!!!