Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Another Cummins Swap...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 06:48 PM
xringonly
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also mounted the fan last week. One small problem...

Had to remove a little material. Im gonna stick with it until I realize that it can't be used then Ill go to the dodge unit. This is a large fan and is capable of moving a lot of air when needed, I hope I can accommodate it

I have to go to locomotive school starting tomorrow in Chicago for a week, no updates for awhile

Old 09-19-2015, 01:25 PM
xringonly
More Turbo
Finished and installed reservoir with suction hose

Old 09-27-2015, 05:03 PM
xringonly
More Turbo
I progressed a little this weekend, removed some unnecessary wires from the harness going to the rear of the truck and from the AirDog. Added a wire for the future brake controller and charging the battery on the travel trailer, got all of them secured to the left frame rail

I dont really dislike wiring, its just so time consuming

Installed the oil cooler for the power steering/hydroboost. The hose clamp on the right will get some black paint

And got the cab back on. I gotta pick up a couple bolts tomorrow cause two of the bolts for the cab mounts were too long

Also started painting new rear driveline and engineering A/C compressor bracket

Old 09-29-2015, 10:25 PM
xringonly
More Turbo
Started on the A/C compressor bracket, this is the one that I ran on the 4bt. It did the job ok but the compressor sat pretty high when the belt was tensioned and the return side of the belt vibrated and jumped a lot. It mounted in front of the intake on the head

I had planned mounting in the same location but with a static mount and use a tensioner pulley. These are the main pieces for the bracket

After setting the compressor on the mount plate I realized there was a clearance issue with the primary belt tensioner, when it is rotated around to running position the arm will clear but one of the four high places on the body rotates into the belt

After much deliberation I think I'll remove the primary tensioner then drill and tap a new hole in its mount which will move the tensioner out and up a little, then drill the locator hole so the tensioner is rotated a little counter clockwise so the pulley orients about the same. This all looks good on the Big Chief and crayons that I have in my head, I'll find out tomorrow hopefully

Old 09-30-2015, 01:04 AM
co425
Cargo Master
Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Nice work. Sounds like a runner soon.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:40 PM
xringonly
More Turbo
Fab work completed on the AC mount, I need some help on color choices. Silver or satin black?

Old 10-08-2015, 05:31 AM
xringonly
More Turbo
engine sitting back in the truck for good hopefully

Go pedal. Ive already cut off the part that went thru the firewall

And after the revision. I used a Lokar cable setup thru the firewall like most other folks have, works great

Compressor mounted, the winning color was blue

Made this bracket to mount the clutch master cyl reservoir

Clutch hydraulics mounted, Brake lines made and run, starter mounted, started running lines to/from hydroboost but not enough fittings

Now to the grueling part, changing from this

To this
[URL=http://s1061.photobucket.com/user/donica6/media/IMG_1655_zpsvqbjtdpn.jpg.html][/URLI actually bought this for my daughters Mustang but not enough room under the dash
Ill be involved in wiring for the next several evenings and probably Sat

Old 10-08-2015, 10:08 PM
co425
Cargo Master
Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Nice progress! Isn't that angle for the clutch reservoir a pain in the ***.

Old 10-09-2015, 05:13 AM
xringonly
More Turbo
No doubt! Front/rear and left/right. Sometimes takes as much time to work the problem than to actually do the work

Old 10-09-2015, 10:13 PM
vdrsnk04
Trailering
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
what a great thread. Just read all 18 pages lol. Your fab work is top notch. Keep it up!

Old 10-10-2015, 08:28 AM
xringonly
More Turbo
Originally Posted by vdrsnk04
what a great thread. Just read all 18 pages lol. Your fab work is top notch. Keep it up!
Thank you very much. It can get frustrating at times but there is a LOT of information and quality folks on this site to help work things out

Old 10-10-2015, 10:06 AM
vdrsnk04
Trailering
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xringonly
Thank you very much. It can get frustrating at times but there is a LOT of information and quality folks on this site to help work things out
You're welcome. Forums sure can be a great source of help with all the knowledge everyone has. I know it helped me over last ten years of owning a race car i sold recently.

Also, noticed you said you were going to locomotive school in Chicago. Are you from Illinois as well? I am from the Quad city area.

Old 10-10-2015, 12:43 PM
xringonly
More Turbo
Not from Chicago, N.E. Texas. Just there to learn a little more about the engines in our loco's.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:21 PM
xringonly
More Turbo
I got the wiring straightened out inside the cab, mostly. Its not pristine, I'm gonna have to go back in there when I do the new instrument panel/gauges, probably next spring. Started on engine wiring. Fuel solenoid, oil pressure, coolant temp, AC compressor, and starter solenoid signal all run and tied into my duetz plug.

Finished running lines for hydroboost, made and installed a couple brackets to support them

And installed

You can see a little of said wiring in the background of this pic

Also finished cleaning the injector lines and installed. Im not happy with the final product, I wish I had cleaned them sooner maybe would have checked on fresh cad plating. Oh well...

Hopefully get the stands and loom clamps cleaned and installed after work tomorrow

Old 10-12-2015, 09:32 PM
xringonly
More Turbo
Oh yeah, while I was under the dash I cycled the go pedal a few times, there is quite a bit of flex in the plastic base that the pedal pivots on. Gonna have to relick that before any long trips.... Uuggghhh

Quick Reply: Another Cummins Swap...