VetNet A forum dedicated to ALL Veterans... their unique needs and wants. A place where Veterans old and new can discuss their problems and find the help and support they are looking for.

2015 Veterans Network (VETNET) General Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 10:03 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
There is no nomination process. Mods are chosen by Admin. It doesn't matter though. I support Dutch and have for years. We can work together to make this happen and I'm fully committed to it.

Old 01-04-2015, 02:15 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't need to be a moderator, and it would probably make certain ones of the moderators we have kind of nervous.

On the other hand, working from OUTSIDE the admin and moderator realm gives me a view of the forums that is perhaps different than an admin or mod, and so that can at times also be beneficial.

Either way - me and Don have been like Mario and Luigi for many years. If there's something cool we can do to help the forums, I wrench and he hammers. I have a similar relationship with several other mods and admins, primarily because I guess I haven't been as much of a jack hole as I thought I was at times...

But now what? I really don't see anyplace to hang an "OUR MISSION" shingle anyway, unless we have a sticky post of the "READ FIRST" sort, with a set of forum rules.

Old 01-04-2015, 04:29 PM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
That's a good idea Dutch. At a minimum, we should document what the goal is, in addition to what will, and will not, be tolerated in the forum.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:21 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Yeah...

I think that needs a look, if only to clarify things. DAMMIT! I'm not a Chief, I wasn't trained for this...

But something like that is a good idea.

"The water looks deep..."
"Yep."
"It's blue -"
"Mmm hmm..."
"Do you think we can swim in it?"

(?)

"ONLY if I have to..."

~Dutch

Old 01-06-2015, 12:43 AM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
I was just a lowly E-5 Staff Sergeant running the Base Motorcycle Safety Program before George Air Force Base, CA closed. I'll help you with what I can.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:50 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I think 99% of it is just going to be inputs, smart choices, mutual agreement, and sound advice.

It's funny - I keep noticing more and more moderators listed on the top bar, but we have seldom if ever needed a mod to jump in and sort out a fur ball.
(other than yours truly)

SIX currently, I think that's more than any other forum here - we have our very own security department!

They must have heard we have an NCO club in this forum...

Old 01-08-2015, 04:51 PM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
I think you're right, Dutch. My wife and daughters have often said, and I agree with them 100%, I do not do well without supervision.

Old 01-10-2015, 09:33 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I lost COMM's yesterday just as I was about to click "SEND" on a request to have a 1099-R document sent out so I could file my tax return, just got the line restored.

As a result, we now have a link and a thread about DFAS, connected in the main index of important stuff. I don't know if DFAS decided to save paper by sending tax info electronically at "MyPay" but I never do anything about taxes until I have a paper copy for my records - that's just smart.
* I have recently had cause to hate trees anyway...

In any case, you can go there and find all sorts of good info and links for both retired and active members that are secured by the usual means: Info that only the genuine article would know.

If there is any doubt, or you have questions about it, you can use the Plain Old Telephone System (POTS) number that I also listed in that post.

Of course - for those on ACDU you ought to go direct to Personnel and talk to your PN or DK directly. If you are on leave though, it's a good option to have.

For those out in the boonies as I am, it is indispensable!

If anyone wants to verify the info, you can also run a separate search or look at what is on your leave and earnings statement.

Old 01-10-2015, 06:07 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Just an FYI if you have LEO or Military stickers on your vehicle I would suggest removing them. Recently a fellow shipmates property was damaged with these types of decals on there vehicle. I went home and removed my parking stickers yesterday. Sad that something so simple makes us all targets.

Old 01-10-2015, 06:17 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Hmm...

To get on base with a vehicle, you need a set of decals. A lot of used vehicles out there have them, even though they should be scraped when sold to a non vet, even if it's a used car lot or a new car trade in.

I'm not about to remove my DOD decals, and once I get on the road again an up to date set of them will be part of the process of registry.

I keep a front tag on my Ranger that reads: US NAVY Retired, but around here people are more respectful of that than in other places.

I also WILL NOT PARK in a dangerous or unsecured looking area. But I have choices about that which those who live off base in the vicinity of bases and stations here and there don't.

I'm also somewhat of a local personality - even shady characters in this area know not only me, but also my friends and associates, and realize that messing with any of us is not a very good idea.

There is in fact a short list of people who are afraid to come near my house or neighborhood because it is a good way to get themselves arrested or at least call more attention to themselves than they want...

If you are considering a place to quarter yourself off base and it looks like you shouldn't be there - take Myagi's advice:

"NO BE THERE"

Environment is everything, and cheap can be horribly expensive in the long run.

WHEN YOU DO MOVE INTO A PLACE, it is a fundamentally good idea to get to know all of the surrounding people that you can - and network with them. If you find yourself surrounded with good folks, stick around. If you find the reverse is true, it's the wrong place to be. Keep in mind that you have "MOVE POWER".

If it is at all possible, before buying a house and making a huge commitment - hang out in the area, see if you can get to know and get along with those who are already there, and if they have common interests like custom cars and trucks for one. DO a "RECON". REALTORS only care about selling properties, they know nothing about the area, even if they can tell you where schools and shopping are. Hang out in a few driveways, check out the local flavor and vibe. Find out about any local hassles, especially with utility services.

It costs you nothing if you are really interested in a place, to go back after telling the salesman you'll think about it (before signing anything binding) and pull off to talk to the local homeowners WITHOUT a realtor filling your ears with everything favorable that they can think of.
Then decide...

Are the people friendly? Is it a low crime area? Are there hidden costs and issues the Realtor didn't tell you? Are there ADVANTAGES that the realtor has no idea of...

A real estate salesman will use the same tactics as a car dealer, tell you the property may not be available if you don't sign a deal today, and all that.

IT'S CRAP.

Real Estate is a buyers market, those listings will still be on the books weeks and months from now, and if they are not, SO WHAT? There are many more...

Old 01-11-2015, 07:43 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
USCG has gone away from base decals here. However not sure about DOD. Will have to see how that works. Don't really see an issue though considering they scan everyones I.D.'s now. Good info on the house buying stuff.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:58 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
It has always seemed reasonable to me that if you have a DOD ID card, and valid registry, license, and so on - you should be able to go on base. The ID card being the critical thing.

NORTH ISLAND NAVAL AIR STATION and NORFOLK NAVAL STATION both made me very angry when they made it a requirement in Virginia to have a valid state of Virginia Safety Inspection sticker (when my vehicle was registered in Tennessee) which I caved in to, but then when I was transferred to Southern California, they wanted me to get my custom F100 truck to pass California SMOG!

These are examples of the local command CAVING IN to local rules, and placing an unrealistic and unwanted financial burden on common soldiers and sailors...

I (F)ING REBELLED!!!!

Because of NAS NORIS, I bought my first and only DIESEL truck, because I knew damned well they were exempt from SMOG inspections at the time...

And it polluted like HELL

And I named it: "GREYWOLF's REVENGE!"

Politically cowardly (or at least wishy-washy) Commanding Officers DO NOT command my RESPECT!!!

And damn if I was going to waste my families money anymore for the sake of anyone elses agenda...

I can still recall the expression on the face of the decal issue girls face when I told her:
"I DO NOT NEED A SMOG CERTIFICATE FOR A DIESEL! WHO IS IN CHARGE? GET THEM HERE!"

I swear, some of those old memories are absolutely priceless!

This is one of the last pics I know of before I sold it:

It smoked, it stank, and it got me and a load of engines here from California

1985 F250 6.9 diesel, with an aftermarket turbo, and I added a dually axle to it that came from a wrecking yard in Lakeside.
I bought it for 1200 bucks

Theologian actually drove this truck once, and I wonder if he ever forgave me for the experience...

It was scrapped recently by the idiot I sold it to.
(But I saved a seasoned 351W in the trade, which I still have. Had I not I bet a bitchen engine would have been sold to China as cast metal)

I bet Theo pipes up about how it wandered all over the road before I got a set of front end bushings installed in it at the MIRAMAR Auto Hobby Shop...

I think he said something to the effect that some front ends travel, but that thing wanted to go on "WALKABOUT"

I should have had him drive the "BLUE" truck

(we were rescuing it from where the starter motor failed)

Stories and Stories
To be told...

I apologise for hijacking the thread in this way

~Wolfie

PS: In fact - the starter died in a parking lot on NORIS, so there we were on a base, with limited ways out.
It took two days, and we rode city busses before we could come back and fix it

That was another situation I think Theo wondered about me because of...

Old 09-03-2015, 07:56 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
Wow this was hard to find !
Dave

Old 09-07-2015, 10:01 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
It will be harder, I have left for a better place

www.fordtruckzone.com

Ken and Peggy run it.....

Old 09-10-2015, 07:43 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Please explain why FTZ is better and who is Ken and Peggy?

Quick Reply: 2015 Veterans Network (VETNET) General Discussion