Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

'78 Crew 4x4 - Cummins Swap Begins - Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 10:36 PM
79Supercab
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I contemplated cutting out that crossmember to make it easier to remove, but didn't. I did cut out the forward crossmember so I could get the hoist in closer.

Got the trans & TC off today. My next free day will be Friday, so I'll take in to the rebuild shop then. Will have it back by the end of next week.

Ryan

Old 12-08-2014, 10:59 PM
Tim Young
Hotshot
Received 3,625 Likes on 1,448 Posts
Looking good Ryan!

Old 12-12-2014, 07:44 PM
79Supercab
Elder User
Question Questions

Took the trans down to the shop to get rebuilt. Parts are arriving. Didn't need to order too many thankfully.

KDP kit
Exhaust Manifold gaskets
Valve cover gaskets
Thermostat & gasket
Glowshift 3 in 1 EGT, Boost, Temp gauge

Ok, now for a couple more questions for those of you that flipped your manifold:

1) Is the turbo oiling hose long enough since the turbo will be higher? Or do I need to extend it or buy a new hose? Haven't read anywhere that's this an issue, but figured I'd ask just in case.
2) I know the turbo oil drain tube/hose isn't long enough with the turbo higher and I see there's already a short piece of hose in between the tube & where it goes in the pan. Can I just put a longer section of hose or will the tube be too close to the manifold?
3) Where did you drill your manifold for the EGT? I know pre-turbo is best, but I just want to make sure I drill in the correct spot.

Just trying to see how others have done it so I can order parts if needed. Thanks.

Ryan

Old 12-12-2014, 09:39 PM
co425
Cargo Master
Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 79Supercab
Took the trans down to the shop to get rebuilt. Parts are arriving. Didn't need to order too many thankfully.

KDP kit
Exhaust Manifold gaskets
Valve cover gaskets
Thermostat & gasket
Glowshift 3 in 1 EGT, Boost, Temp gauge

Ok, now for a couple more questions for those of you that flipped your manifold:

1) Is the turbo oiling hose long enough since the turbo will be higher? Or do I need to extend it or buy a new hose? Haven't read anywhere that's this an issue, but figured I'd ask just in case.
2) I know the turbo oil drain tube/hose isn't long enough with the turbo higher and I see there's already a short piece of hose in between the tube & where it goes in the pan. Can I just put a longer section of hose or will the tube be too close to the manifold?
3) Where did you drill your manifold for the EGT? I know pre-turbo is best, but I just want to make sure I drill in the correct spot.

Just trying to see how others have done it so I can order parts if needed. Thanks.

Ryan

I'm pretty sure you will need a longer turbo feed line, and return line. Your local cummins dealer should be able to help you out with that. I know some of the industrial 12v have a flipped turbo and use a longer oil feed line.

I ended up using a flexible return from a later cummins engine works great. They sell them at:

Cummins Flexible Turbo Drain Tube 21 Inch 5.9L 3934084

My manifold is not flipped however the return is pretty long and may work for you.

As far as drilling for egt you'll need to be careful with that one. If I remember right there is an unseen divider inside the manifold. You'll have to do a search to find a tutorial on that one. I bought a DPSX manifold for my truck that was already pre drilled.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:36 PM
79Supercab
Elder User
K. I'm good on the oil return line. I did some quick searches and didn't see any mention of a lengthened oil supply line at any vendors. Got a hint on where one might find one?

Old 12-14-2014, 10:18 PM
79Supercab
Elder User
Today degreased motor, did KDP fix, installed valve cover gaskets, flipped exhaust manifold and installed new gaskets, drilled/tapped/installed EGT fitting. Messed with the turbo a bit.

So to rotate the turbo so the oiling line is vertical is kind of a bitch. Couldn't get it to budge.......... read up on it a bit and it sounds like you have to soak it, smack it around a little, soak it some more before it'll come loose. That right?

Won't get any real time to mess with anything but that turbo till this weekend. On the agenda for this coming weekend is to pull the PTO winch/bumper and the motor/trans/t-case out of the crewcab.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:39 AM
co425
Cargo Master

So to rotate the turbo so the oiling line is vertical is kind of a bitch. Couldn't get it to budge.......... read up on it a bit and it sounds like you have to soak it, smack it around a little, soak it some more before it'll come loose. That right?
Sounds about right to me. Just be carful to stay away from the turbine vanes. There is not a lot of clearance between the housing and the vanes.

I took my circlips out of my stock turbo and it rotated easy. But mine had low miles on it.

By the way your pics are inop.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:30 AM
79Supercab
Elder User
Originally Posted by co425
Sounds about right to me. Just be carful to stay away from the turbine vanes. There is not a lot of clearance between the housing and the vanes.

I took my circlips out of my stock turbo and it rotated easy. But mine had low miles on it.
I just loosened them, but I'll try and take them completely off and I'm sure that'll help a bit.

By the way your pics are inop.
Fixed them now.

Also, the paint on the front cover is odd..... that doesn't seem to me that it'd be painted like that from the factory. I'm wondering if someone replaced that front cover?

Old 12-15-2014, 09:31 AM
Kookz
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My front cover looked the same way (97 with a replaced engine), but that makes me think they all came that way.

Old 12-15-2014, 05:53 PM
co425
Cargo Master
The engine tins come the cummins tan color. Then dodge or someone else spray bombs them cummins titanium black after they are already built. My timing cover and pushrod cover were both cummins tan. Everything had paint on it, all of the bolts, injection lines all the brackets etc. I'm glad I got all that damn paint off.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:59 PM
79Supercab
Elder User
The engine tins come the cummins tan color. Then dodge or someone else spray bombs them cummins titanium black after they are already built. My timing cover and pushrod cover were both cummins tan. Everything had paint on it, all of the bolts, injection lines all the brackets etc. I'm glad I got all that damn paint off.
Good to know.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:23 PM
79Supercab
Elder User
Picked up the rebuilt 47RH and billet TC today.

Just a couple more days of driving the crew with the 410 & 4 speed......then they come out. Gotta use up the rest of that gas too

Ryan

Old 12-18-2014, 09:21 PM
co425
Cargo Master
Picked up the rebuilt 47RH and billet TC today.

Just a couple more days of driving the crew with the 410 & 4 speed......then they come out. Gotta use up the rest of that gas too

Ryan

Very nice. I cant wait to see how that tranny fits in relation to the cab. I love my 5 speed but my next swapped truck will be an auto.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:09 PM
79Supercab
Elder User
Was able to clock the compressor side of the turbo after soaking the joint with penetrating oil. Received the turbo spacer, extended studs, and 2 gaskets. Installed the turbo and compressor housing. Turbo oil supply looks to be straight up, but can adjust it after the motor is installed if needed.

Found out with the spacer the oil supply line IS NOT long enough. And I'll either need to purchase one of those flexible oil drain lines or modify the current tube. I'll probably do the latter of those options.

Ryan

Old 12-19-2014, 10:48 PM
79Supercab
Elder User
Got the trans bolted up and most everything hooked up that I can at this point.

Pieced together some fittings to extend the turbo oil feed line. Kind of cheesy, but should perform ok.

Tomorrow I'm starting to take the crewcab apart. Bye bye gas motor & 4 speed.

Quick Reply: '78 Crew 4x4 - Cummins Swap Begins - Build Thread