JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Cool. "git-r-done".

Old 03-30-2015, 05:44 PM
CharlaineC
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The strange noise i'm getting now has to do with the starter. I'm praying that I just need a new one and not a new Flexplate. The timing is fine 10 btdc as the specs state gaps are right dewll is right at 32. 550 low rpm in drive wheels chocked with the lights on. If it is the flexplate i'm deff going to need help with that job. bot at least I can get the flexplate cheap

Old 04-13-2015, 02:43 PM
CharlaineC
Senior User
Ok Pearl is starting to urk me lately. Last week while running errands she was fine, then suddenly on my way home she was bucking and lagging. Almost like the fuel was being starved. then she stalled and I couldnt get her to turn over and stay. I replaced the fuel pump. checked all lines. everything is fine. Checked the plugs and found them to have oil on them. Compression is good too, so my thoughts as well as someone else after talking to them is the valves need to be relapped and done. My question is what would this cost. She just needs to be able to run till I can rebuild the 390 and put it in.

Old 04-13-2015, 03:10 PM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hm Pearl is being one stubborn B about wanting to keep running for the Queen huh.
Good compression may only be from the oil sealing up the rings.

Could be sucking it from the bad intake manifold gasket. Plug up PCV valve.

Bad Valve guilds & seals, If most plugs are all oil fouled.

Oil return in head plugged up valve train fills with oil sucked into valve guilds.
Very common on high mileage motors.

Orich

Old 04-13-2015, 03:24 PM
Gembone
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
also make sure you have good spark and all the wires have good connection. Also be sure to make sure there are no cracks in the distributor cap.

Old 04-13-2015, 03:28 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
I don't think it's valves. If the compression is good then they have to be sealed. Don't forget a TON of us have had problems with a bad Dizzy condenser as of the last couple of years. Brand new aftermarket ones as well as used ones. The Ford part number for a condenser for your V8 standard single point Dizzy is C9AZ12300A (DC13A). Still available from Ford.

Old 04-13-2015, 03:36 PM
Alex from GA
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Agree with Jeff the valves are good, no need to be lapped. To me, and orich, the seals gave up the ghost and they can be changed with the heads on the engine.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:17 PM
orich
Lead Driver
Oh Queenie oh Queenie of the wild Kingdom of humps & bumps what are you calling good compression as in the PSI Rating other then good.?

Orich

Old 04-14-2015, 08:57 AM
first today
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you need a band aid... parts stores sell non foulers in the help section. They keep the worn out motor from oil fouling the plugs.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:25 PM
CharlaineC
Senior User
much work done. silly reasoning

So ypu all know that I had to move recently, because of this i decided to put pearl into the shop and let them deal with the current couple issues I was having as far as her not running. After an extended time in the shop it was found that the entire issue was not the carburetor, fuel pump, timing or anything else majorly mechanical. The issue turned out to be that Pearl needed all new ignition parts even though the ones I had put in were brand new they needed a better quality. New points, distributor cap, rotor, wires and, last but not least plugs and now she seems to be running like a champ. Purring like a kitten. Currently she's having a muffler put on and, the heater core replaced, as well as heater box rebuilt. After that she's going to have all rubber bushings replaced. I'm hoping to get the new drivers door installed before winter but we will see.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:27 PM
orich
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by CharlaineC
Social know I had to move recently and decided to put curl into the shop and let them deal with the current couple issues I was having as far as her not running. After an extended time in the shop it was found that the entire issue was not the carburetor, fuel pump, timing anything else majorly mechanical. The issue turned out to be that pearl needed all new ignition parts even though they had they were brand new they needed better quality. New points distributor rotor wires and last but not least plugs and now she seems to be running like a champ. Currently she's having a muffler put on heater core replaced and heater box rebuilt. After that she's going to have all rubbers replaced.
Aw, I wondered what happen to the Queen of the bump side kingdom.

Well good to see you back on the board here again.
Good your getting pearl fixed up and back on the road once again.
Orich

Old 10-25-2015, 11:02 PM
Coastal68
Fleet Mechanic
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
That's great! I was just thinking of "Pearl" today (brake warning light on my 68 needs to be reset) and presto! here you are. Welcome back!

Old 10-25-2015, 11:51 PM
CharlaineC
Senior User
Originally Posted by Coastal68
That's great! I was just thinking of "Pearl" today (brake warning light on my 68 needs to be reset) and presto! here you are. Welcome back!
Remember to use a dead shot hammer and something soft to hit it on as the brass will warp and misshapen easy

Old 10-26-2015, 07:53 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Coastal68
2X Our Queen. You came up in mine and my girlfriend's conversation just yesterday. I was wondering where ya been. Glad to hear everything is okie dokie.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:29 PM
CharlaineC
Senior User
Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA
2X Our Queen. You came up in mine and my girlfriend's conversation just yesterday. I was wondering where ya been. Glad to hear everything is okie dokie.
I hope it was good dear. Lol.

Quick Reply: "Pearl" 1969 f250 rwd build/resto thread