1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

72 Ford F100

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 06:07 PM
Killgore
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Took her for a couple drives to get used to her. I got everything but the damn first gear down The first drive I had a loose shifter, a sticky accelerator pedal, a too tight steering wheel, a unattached vacuum hose and turn signals that didn't want to cancel for me. Killed it...more times than I'd care to admit, once in the middle of traffic because out of panic I moved from the clutch to the brake (i'm a *******). Changed ye ole oil, got everything fixed up but too dark to go for another test drive.

Today: Stuck mostly around the block trying to get my first gear usage down. But there was also 4 inches of snow on the ground. Spun it once, killed it once. Improvement! Also much easier to turn now that I'm not dancing on the pedals trying to get the accelerator to not stick.

In result I didn't take it down to Ark City with me on account of the snow. But everything is A-Okay.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:55 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Yeah I've never been a fan of column shifts... too many parts to wear out and ergonomics of shifting is really awkward.

The only bright side is that with so few column shifts around, it'll just be abandoned down the street after someone tries to steal it.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:42 PM
Killgore
Posting Guru
My problem currently is the take off in 1 st gear (the right amount of clutch vs gas). I'm more or less learning to drive stick for the first time (I got the emergency crash course whenever I got my learners permit, but that was in a five speed and included a lot of 3000 rpm clutch dumps to get the darn thing to move).

I must've got a good linkage or you got a cruddy one because the engagement is butter smooth and is super easy. I think it is better than the 5 speed that I got the crash course on. Granted if/when any performance upgrades are being added, the shifter will have to be moved to the floor because there is no way in hell I can drive that thing in anger. But for taking it at a moderate pace and a relaxing cruise, no problem.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:24 PM
hillcountryflt
Fleet Mechanic
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts
I learned to drive in a Ford Galaxy 500 with column shift about 40 years ago. Had not driven one hardly at all until March when I got my 71 f100. Kind of enjoy it. Now even more in the 69 because of the better running engine and soft clutch. Do need to look up what all one should service on the column shift.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:08 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Received 138 Likes on 122 Posts
I once drove a 50-60's era chevy truck with column shift. Confusing as all hell. Shift pattern was weird!

Old 11-18-2014, 10:22 PM
Alex from GA
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
For us old farts that learned how to drive in the 50s almost all there was were 3 speed column shifts. We drag raced/speed shifted them all the time. The learning curve isn't that steep, keep at it.

Old 11-19-2014, 01:52 PM
Thumperhead
New User
Mine is geared so low all you have to do is let the clutch out with no gas. I normally take off in second.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:18 PM
Killgore
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 351Cleveland C4
I once drove a 50-60's era chevy truck with column shift. Confusing as all hell. Shift pattern was weird!
I think if you are used to a four on the floor it is a little weird. But my T-rex arms do appreciate 1st and second literally being 3 inches from each other. All the OD manuals (in trucks) i've seen are a little difficult for my short arms to engage.

Originally Posted by Alex from GA
For us old farts that learned how to drive in the 50s almost all there was were 3 speed column shifts. We drag raced/speed shifted them all the time. The learning curve isn't that steep, keep at it.
I'm more worried (at this point) that I would bust something in the linkage if I actually tried to put it into gear quickly. But I'm sure by the summer I'll have it down where it won't be any problem.

Originally Posted by Thumperhead
Mine is geared so low all you have to do is let the clutch out with no gas. I normally take off in second.
I have 3.08 rear gears with 31 inch tires. Makes acceleration crap but it keeps it at decent RPM at 55.

Well the insurance did not pay out on my towncar, so I am swapping the 2000 mile tires onto the truck and putting the 31's on the TC so it can be a roller. That should save me a bit of weight (always a good thing) and get me a little bit of rear gear back. As long as the weather agrees with me I will have a truck back in Ark City.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:36 AM
Killgore
Posting Guru
Hey guys, so I put on the 215/70/r15 tires on the truck and it makes driving it so much easier. The truck now turns pretty easily and accelerates much better. So I have some plans for this truck finally.

Initial:
Hook up E-brake
U joints
Carrier Bearing
Brake Lines
Brake Fluids
Rebuilt 2 BBL (maybe)

Warmer Weather:
Cab Mounts
Floor Pans
Carpet
Newer Bench Seat

Will the older metal steering wheel bolt right up to the column or is there something else that needs to be changed out?

Old 11-30-2014, 05:08 PM
Killgore
Posting Guru
Well I found out that my carb was junked after installing a manual choke, so I went ahead and ordered a new one. I am at a standstill currently until the carb comes in .

So everything I intially wanted to do will be done, so in theory, ill have a good running vehicle.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:48 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Killgore
Hey guys, so I put on the 215/70/r15 tires on the truck and it makes driving it so much easier. The truck now turns pretty easily and accelerates much better. So I have some plans for this truck finally.

Initial:
Hook up E-brake
U joints
Carrier Bearing
Brake Lines
Brake Fluids
Rebuilt 2 BBL (maybe)

Warmer Weather:
Cab Mounts
Floor Pans
Carpet
Newer Bench Seat

Will the older metal steering wheel bolt right up to the column or is there something else that needs to be changed out?
Sounds like a plan! Yeah, staying focused on suspension, brakes, drivetrain, and steering during the crummy winter season is the right thing to do.

JYs tend to be slow in winter so it's a good time to shop for parts like the bench seat.

A 72 uses the 71-77 steering wheel.. the early versions 67-70 are the same as a 63-70 Falcon... Around $175 as a reproduction... they're not steel per se...they are steel framed with cast plastic.

I don't recall whether the issue was with updating or backdating steering wheels but do recall some difference with the steering shaft and some guys having to hack off the unthreaded nub because it interfered with the born button...

Old 12-01-2014, 06:50 PM
exam
New User
nice nice find

Old 12-02-2014, 12:22 AM
Killgore
Posting Guru
Guys, this truck will probably see many a rural roads at night. What are some lighting options I can do to it to keep it stock and make me a little more visible. Eventually I am going to get a roll bar and put auxilary lighting on it, but not right off. So my plan was:

Taillight 1157 Red LEDs in the back
Turn Signal 1157 Amber LEDs in the front turn signals

But I have yet to find something to help my forward visability. Help me spend some money to hopefully not get in another wreck that lead me to get this truck.

Old 12-02-2014, 03:33 AM
hillcountryflt
Fleet Mechanic
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts
Aren't these essentially 7 inch round headlights on our trucks?
You know I would expect something like the Truck-Lite (27270C) Headlamp would work. I run one on my Harley and what an improvement it made. Additionally, they take less juice to power, so they are not as demanding on the charging environment. They are pricey. I paid about $200 or more for mine a couple of years ago. They just plug in with a standard 3 prong plug.

Old 12-02-2014, 04:28 AM
Serfbored
Senior User
These look fun.......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRUCK-LITE-27270C-7-LED-HEADLIGHT-HEADLAMP-PHASE-7-HARLEY-PAR56-/161176542983?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2586dedf07&vxp=mtr

Quick Reply: 72 Ford F100