Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

1978-1979 Crew Cab build thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 08:01 AM
1KILLERZ
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
so now that Eleanor is home, and the M101 is tucked away in the garage, my intent is to take this weekend and tidy up my work space, utilize the trailer as a work bench for my wiring, and start making some progress. I ordered a Lisle 57780 Terminal Tool for Ford to assist in breaking down the donor wiring harness.
I know, I know, just cut it. Well my worry is that some of the wiring is short in spots, and since I don't know how much I need and where to connect certain things, simply playing it safe.

Pics to come.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:22 AM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Definitely a keeper!

My wife isn't so sure about mine. I've been trying to convince her since we met... The truck has been around longer than she has & actually in build process longer than she has. Maybe that's why they don't get along - lol

And smart choice on taking your time vs. just cutting the donor harness. I'm of the opinion that doing things right the 1st time may take longer but is worth it. Then again many guys are driving their project trucks/swaps already and started their builds after mine started... Oh well.

Old 06-09-2017, 01:16 PM
1KILLERZ
More Turbo
Originally Posted by ChaseTruck754
Definitely a keeper!

My wife isn't so sure about mine. I've been trying to convince her since we met... The truck has been around longer than she has & actually in build process longer than she has. Maybe that's why they don't get along - lol

And smart choice on taking your time vs. just cutting the donor harness. I'm of the opinion that doing things right the 1st time may take longer but is worth it. Then again many guys are driving their project trucks/swaps already and started their builds after mine started... Oh well.
Yea, trying to convince your other half can be easy, or a burden. My better half is on me to keep it diesel. Towards the beginning I was just going to drop a stroked 460 in it and call it good. She used my own words to keep me on the path.

My hopes with not cutting is also to keep it as serviceable as possible by ensuring I am doing it right the first time. We shall see.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:29 AM
1KILLERZ
More Turbo
somewhat productive weekend

I managed to clean out the M101 with the help of my local neighborhood "kid". Wanted to not only clean out the trailer, but also re-organize the garage so as to allow a more workable space while doing the wiring.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:18 PM
xringonly
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry I missed your question. Yes, you will have to build your own surround.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:47 PM
1KILLERZ
More Turbo
Originally Posted by xringonly
Sorry I missed your question. Yes, you will have to build your own surround.
Thank you.

Old 06-15-2017, 03:18 PM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Sweet trailer!! You planning on keeping it a pintle hitch?

Old 06-16-2017, 09:05 AM
1KILLERZ
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Jarrett Campbell
Sweet trailer!! You planning on keeping it a pintle hitch?
Thanks, I thought it was pretty nice too.

That's the plan for now. Supposedly helps with articulation when off roading to your camping spot. I've never owned anything with a pintel, so we shall she how it goes.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:29 PM
1KILLERZ
More Turbo
trans cooler and fenders

Making slow progress. Took in an underling (minion?) who's headed off to diesel trade school in the fall. So he's helping/learning at the same time. Not that I'm a good teacher, just that it will definitely be something unique enough for him to enjoy learning on.

Working on lining up the fenders so the door's lines match up. Then there's the hood. MF! I don't know why I didn't chalk line where the bolts were before I removed it. I know better. But I digress.

Aftermarket trans cooler and lines are hooked up and routed. Need to cinch all those to the rail and the like.

Planning on finishing the cinching of trans lines this weekend and finishing the hood fitment. Next is the drop pitman arm install (when it gets here) so that I can steer this pig again without the use of a sledge hammer pound the sidewalls of my MTR's next time we move it. Pics to come when there is something "cool" to show.

Old 08-07-2017, 02:26 PM
1KILLERZ
More Turbo
action shots of trans cooler install (sexy, right?)

Sexy stuff right here. Involves a butt plug for the rear line of the transmission (had to remove). I used a spark plug.
Installed the trans cooler in front of the radiator. Not much room to get my cow milkers in there. Good thing I acquired the protege. Skinny long arms and non-milk man hands helped out a lot.
With Eleanor home and working on her much easier to 20 minute ride to my buddies, my youngest has also decided he will use the baja rack as his "fort" while dad works on the truck.

Old 08-08-2017, 03:00 PM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
You should leave the plug in there just to say you've got the only Powerstroke that needs a spark plug....

Old 08-09-2017, 01:40 PM
1KILLERZ
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Jarrett Campbell
You should leave the plug in there just to say you've got the only Powerstroke that needs a spark plug....
True enough.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:16 AM
1KILLERZ
More Turbo
update

I work on Eleanor at night, after my little dude goes to bed. Weather here has kept me inside the last week (too damn cold).
On the plus side, I found a shop to do the wiring (locally at that). They will have an opening for me come march/april. My goal is to finish up the wiring before that time (I really want to complete it myself). But in the end, I just want it done so I can start driving it (after other stuff beyond the wiring).

Old 02-15-2018, 09:06 AM
1KILLERZ
More Turbo
Cross over steering kit

Anybody have experience with SORD Sky Manufacturing cross over steering kit?

Eleanor's D60 has the set up, was actually on there when I bought her with the D44. When I swapped over, I noticed the bar was pretty banged up, and now I have seemed to misplace the drop pit man arm.

So, I figured I might as well as upgrade. Any thoughts based on experience?

Here's the link to the product.

https://www.skysoffroaddesign.com/co...dana-60csk-001

Old 02-16-2018, 08:38 AM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
I don't have any experience with the steering crossover, but I know that they are one of the two shops that make a decent front end RSK for the OBS trucks.

Quick Reply: 1978-1979 Crew Cab build thread