General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

SHTF & The Urban Jungle

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 11:36 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Old93junk
I would say that most of those competitions are dominated by correct better equipment and a correct mind-set that is not about to deviate from what's known to work.
FIFY

Old 08-27-2014, 06:15 AM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BruteFord

Steve, more direct question. Your service weapon is a M&P40, but it's not in the original post? Secondly with your service a M&P40 why didn't you get your shield in 40? Wouldn't that be much more practical most of all if your using it as a backup to the service weapon?
If I take off for the hills, then things are really, really bad, and I've probably run out of .40 ammo........

Then I go to my personal arsenal (although, yeah.....I'll keep the .40 nearby).

Regarding the shield, a) I wanted a 9mm.....especially for that size weapon, and b) one extra round for a 9mm vs the .40 (which is a hot load anyway.......). Seems like a minor point, but hey....that 1 extra round might be the lottery winner.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:21 AM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend

AK in-accuracy is a myth.........
Originally Posted by BruteFord

Is that why so many are used in competitions where accuracy is important?

I would say that most of those competitions are dominated by a certain type of equipment and a certain mind-set that is not about to deviated from the norm.
This might make a difference on the open-range......and I'll be DAMNED if I particularly want to get in a 'AK-versus-AR' debate (I don't have either one), but at closer ranges---certainly the 'urban environment' I' gonna have to deal with...at least initially....probably doesn't matter so much.

Open-range? A couple (at least) acres around me? Oh hell yeah....I'd opt for the M1.

FWIW (or not worth), the Ruger mini-14 or mini-30 ain't particularly accurate. Although, again.......we're not really speaking of MOA differences at 500 yards (or beyond).

Old 08-27-2014, 06:28 AM
clux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by cmpd1781
FWIW (or not worth), the Ruger mini-14 or mini-30 ain't particularly accurate. Although, again.......we're not really speaking of MOA differences at 500 yards (or beyond).
No autoloaders are particularly accurate out of the box with mass produced ammo. But if you spend enough to buy 3-4 good bolt action rifles (that do have decent accuracy out of the box), and feed it only premium ammunition, any of them can be made accurate.

And Ruger addressed most of the Mini's inherent accuracy issues while Bill was still alive, unless you ask an AR guy.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:19 AM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
If I take off for the hills, then things are really, really bad, and I've probably run out of .40 ammo........

Then I go to my personal arsenal (although, yeah.....I'll keep the .40 nearby).

Regarding the shield, a) I wanted a 9mm.....especially for that size weapon, and b) one extra round for a 9mm vs the .40 (which is a hot load anyway.......). Seems like a minor point, but hey....that 1 extra round might be the lottery winner.

Steve, that (comment in red) is the BEST comment I've ever read, when it comes to picking the 9mm Shield, over the .40 Shield.

When I bought my Shield (.40), I got it because it had the punch of the .40 in the same size package as the 9mm.
I had been carrying my Glock G26 (in 9mm, for those that aren't familiar with the pistol), and just wanted a different caliber.

The Shield in .40 is VERY controllable, even with 165 gr Federal HST and Speer Gold Dots.

With today's ballistic technology and bullet designs, the 9mm is a very good round.
(This may be the reason the FBI is looking to go back to it!)

Old 08-27-2014, 07:27 AM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by clux
No autoloaders are particularly accurate out of the box with mass produced ammo. But if you spend enough to buy 3-4 good bolt action rifles (that do have decent accuracy out of the box), and feed it only premium ammunition, any of them can be made accurate.

And Ruger addressed most of the Mini's inherent accuracy issues while Bill was still alive, unless you ask an AR guy.
My latest Mini-14 Ranch rifle is quite capable.........The one before?.....not so much.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:51 AM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
This might make a difference on the open-range......and I'll be DAMNED if I particularly want to get in a 'AK-versus-AR' debate (I don't have either one), but at closer ranges---certainly the 'urban environment' I' gonna have to deal with...at least initially....probably doesn't matter so much.

Open-range? A couple (at least) acres around me? Oh hell yeah....I'd opt for the M1.

Agreed. A couple of guys at my sportsman's club have Mini-14s and one has a Mini-30.
One of the Mini-14 is less than 2 years old, and the best accuracy he can get (factory or handloaded) is 4 inches at 100 yards.
The Mini-30 gets minute of pie plate at 100 yards, using PMC ammo.

Granted, Minute of Pie Plate accuracy still constitutes a 'hit' on a man-sized target (or Zombie) IF you're into that sort of scenario.
(Personally, I don't think I've used or typed that 'Z' word more than 5 times in my entire life!)

No autoloaders are particularly accurate out of the box with mass produced ammo.
But if you spend enough to buy 3-4 good bolt action rifles (that do have decent accuracy out of the box), and feed it only premium ammunition, any of them can be made accurate.

For that comment, I'll call BOVINE SCATOLOGY!!!!

"No autoloader"??????????

I suppose I have some real 'flukes', then.
My Colt AR-HBAR (R6601, if you want to look up the model) straight from the box (after being cleaned) shot less than 1" groups (5 shots) with Federal American Eagle (used to be CHEAP stuff) 55 gr FMJ ammo at 100 yards.

My Colt LE6920 shoots about 1" groups (again, straight from the box!) with the same ammo.

With handloads (same load for both ARs, by-the-way!) will produce smaller than 5/8" (dime-sized) groups at 100 yards.

My beloved Springfield Armory M1 Garand (built in November, 1943) will hold 4" groups (all day long) with MILITARY M2 "ball" ammo at 100 yards.

So, to say, "No autoloaders are particularly accurate out of the box with mass produced ammo," is way off base!

Now, on the other end of the spectrum, my beloved M1A started out 'life' as a Springfield Armory "Standard" (very early rifle with 99% USGI parts) and has been accurized by one of the best riflesmiths east of the Mississippi River.
This fantastic rifle is now equal to (or better than) a "SuperMatch" rifle, except it doesn't have a 'rear lug' on the receiver.
From the Kreiger heavy match barrel, to the cryo'd barreled action, to the glass-bedding (in AA Fancy Walnut), to the handloaded ammunition.... this rifle is top shelf.
This rifle is easily the most expensive firearm I have ever owned, and cost about what 10 other factory rifles cost.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:02 AM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 00BlueOvalRanger

Steve, that (comment in red) is the BEST comment I've ever read, when it comes to picking the 9mm Shield, over the .40 Shield.
I just believe in being practical.....

But thanks.

With today's ballistic technology and bullet designs, the 9mm is a very good round.
The .45 and 9mm refuse to die.......110 years old and counting......

(This may be the reason the FBI is looking to go back to it!)
Yeah....They got skittish in 1986......

My latest Mini-14 Ranch rifle is quite capable.........The one before?.....not so much.
I'm considering the Mini-30. And I like (and trust) Rugers.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:46 PM
clux
Post Fiend

For that comment, I'll call BOVINE SCATOLOGY!!!!

"No autoloader"??????????

I suppose I have some real 'flukes', then.
My Colt AR-HBAR (R6601, if you want to look up the model) straight from the box (after being cleaned) shot less than 1" groups (5 shots) with Federal American Eagle (used to be CHEAP stuff) 55 gr FMJ ammo at 100 yards.

My Colt LE6920 shoots about 1" groups (again, straight from the box!) with the same ammo.

With handloads (same load for both ARs, by-the-way!) will produce smaller than 5/8" (dime-sized) groups at 100 yards.

My beloved Springfield Armory M1 Garand (built in November, 1943) will hold 4" groups (all day long) with MILITARY M2 "ball" ammo at 100 yards.

So, to say, "No autoloaders are particularly accurate out of the box with mass produced ammo," is way off base!
Yeah, for half of what you paid for that colt you can buy any number of bolt rifle that will shoot sub MOA groups on factory ammo.
Hell, my $250 pawns shop Ruger 77 will shoot 1" groups at 100 yards.
So yeah, inherently inaccurate.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:02 PM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Yeah, for half of what you paid for that colt you can buy any number of bolt rifle that will shoot sub MOA groups or less on factory ammo.
Hell, my $250 pawns shop Ruger 77 will shoot 1" groups at 100 yards.
So yeah, inherently inaccurate.

For half of what I paid?????

I paid $609.00+ 5% tax for that R6601, in 1994.

Only the Ruger American and Savage Axis list for 'half' of what I paid for the Colt.
Still, saying,"No autoloaders are particularly accurate out of the box with mass produced ammo", is a grossly inaccurate statement.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:07 PM
clux
Post Fiend
For half of what I paid?????

I paid $609.00+ 5% tax for that R6601, in 1994.

Only the Ruger American and Savage Axis list for 'half' of what I paid for the Colt.
Still, saying,"No autoloaders are particularly accurate out of the box with mass produced ammo", is a grossly inaccurate statement.
I guess that depends on what your definition of "accurate" is.

I like to shoot prairie dogs at 400+.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:54 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I'll chime in with a few one liners.

Nothing wrong with the 45 acp.
Bolt actions are inherently more accurate than semi auto's assuming quality of manufacturing is equal. Get into some real custom stuff and things may change a little.
AK's aren't as accurate as they are reliable in my experience (from years ago shooting Russian ones), but again it comes down to your definition of accurate.

When exactly was this? When he was collaborating with Clinton on the first "assault weapons" ban or before?

You seem to agree. I haven't heard this from too many others, but most do agree at least the early Mini 14's were less than accurate.

Ruger's putting out some nice stuff, but I haven't even looked at the Mini's due to the early accuracy issues.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:05 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Kind of meandering here, but a couple of you mentioned 'weight'.....

1. XDM45 (2 lb unloaded).....loaded...and with 10 extra mags.....10.2 lb

2. P92fs (2.1 lb unloaded).....loaded...and with 10 extra mags.......8 lb

3. S&W M&P 'Shield'......loaded with the 8+1 mag....and 2 spare 7-round mags....2.25 lb total

So with the pistols. I'm looking at roughly 21 lb 'combat' weight. 3 pistols and actually 143 rounds of .45 ACP and 188 rounds of 9mm (331 rounds total).

Haven't weighed the Mossberg and oh.......8 shells in the pipe and enough to reload twice anyway. I'd be carrying that or have it slung.

Throw in a knife or 2 and the noggin'-knocker.....and we're at about 30-33 lbs of fighting gear.........

The gear I currently lug around is close to that. But I'd have to throw in a few things like water......portable food....a light, compact space blanket and poncho.

Discuss.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:09 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
I guess that depends on what your definition of "accurate" is.

I like to shoot prairie dogs at 400+.
So I'm assuming you could hit a marauder at 400+?

Old 08-27-2014, 07:12 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
just 3d print a rifle! i seen a guy in minnesota 3d printed a castle and is now printing a house for himself!

Quick Reply: SHTF & The Urban Jungle