Sponsored by:

Stock later model sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 12:59 AM
Kulapp
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock later model sway bar

Have a guy selling a stock sway bar from an 03 to 05 I'm guessing for 60$. Will it work on a 02 and is it worth it.
Thanks

Old 08-13-2014, 05:24 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
yes...and yes

any 99-07 setup for the rear will work
only 99-04 for the front will work

the rear sway bar will firm up your ride somewhat and really won't show itself until you tow something or enter a corner faster than you normally would. it's a great upgrade and for $60 I'd jump all over it.

does that $$$ also include the brackets and links?

Old 08-13-2014, 09:44 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Yes ....and no.
If you don't tow it will only make your ride worse by throwing you around in uneven dips, and off road. I have taken curves over the speed limit to test the lack of it and detected no body roll, I would pass on it. Also it won't "firm your ride up" at all. Maybe offer $50 and sell it for $100.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:09 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
And here is where I disagree with EXv10...

Yes and yes but no.

Should you get one, yes. Should you save up and just get the hellwig so you know it's brand new and comes with all new hardware and bushings, yes. Would I ever take my Hellwig off, hell no.

EXv10 doesn't like them, but that's his personal preference. My wife hates riding around in the X with mine on the full torque level but I prefer it. I can take corners crazy hard if needed (on ramps and things, not city) and I never feel any roll at all. For me personally it was in the top three upgrades

Old 08-13-2014, 10:12 AM
Kulapp
Freshman User
I do tow and it wasn't that bad without it. I do like like having a softer rear end for daily driving plus I do have air bags on the x. Not really a lead foot driver but I do notice on turns the roll as I have a 6" pro comp lift.
It comes with end links I can manage the hard wear. Any pic where it mounts to

Old 08-13-2014, 10:16 AM
jazz77
Senior User
Originally Posted by EXv10
Yes ....and no.
If you don't tow it will only make your ride worse by throwing you around in uneven dips, and off road. I have taken curves over the speed limit to test the lack of it and detected no body roll, I would pass on it. Also it won't "firm your ride up" at all. Maybe offer $50 and sell it for $100.
I'm curious, I have noticed that you're pretty opinionated on this matter. Did you have a sway bar and dislike it enough to remove it and found the move an improvement?

Old 08-13-2014, 10:24 AM
pkthomas
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You don't have to get the 30mm. I have the 18.5mm and I like it. Seems to have improved handling and towing and not too harsh of a ride. But I have not ridden in an X with the 30 mm or helwig.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:44 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by jazz77
I'm curious, I have noticed that you're pretty opinionated on this matter. Did you have a sway bar and dislike it enough to remove it and found the move an improvement?
I know you are thinking; "He never even had one!", but I never had a broken leg ether..........it's a no brainer.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:45 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by pkthomas
You don't have to get the 30mm. I have the 18.5mm and I like it. Seems to have improved handling and towing and not too harsh of a ride. But I have not ridden in an X with the 30 mm or helwig.
Because it doesn't affect the ride.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:02 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Apocalypse
And here is where I disagree with EXv10...

Yes and yes but no.

Should you get one, yes. Should you save up and just get the hellwig so you know it's brand new and comes with all new hardware and bushings, yes. Would I ever take my Hellwig off, hell no.

EXv10 doesn't like them, but that's his personal preference. My wife hates riding around in the X with mine on the full torque level but I prefer it. I can take corners crazy hard if needed (on ramps and things, not city) and I never feel any roll at all. For me personally it was in the top three upgrades
You aren't disagreeing with me because we aren't in the same boat. I don't have a wife to throw around the cab and I don't take corners "crazy hard".

Old 08-13-2014, 12:21 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by jazz77
Originally Posted by EXv10
I know you are thinking; "He never even had one!", but I never had a broken leg ether..........it's a no brainer.
how can you slam something that you don't have?

especially when it's a factory option that Ford saw fit to install. the only reason we don't all have one from the factory is because of $$$ savings and because Ford wanted the X to ride super soft for soccer moms. If anyone uses their X for purposes besides putting around town, upgrading/installing a sway bar is a very cheap and effective tool to achieve better ride quality and stability while loaded.

and yes, it lets you enter corners "crazy hard", and keep control of a top heavy rig during sudden maneuvers...all sorts of side benefits IMO

Old 08-13-2014, 12:47 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Tylus
how can you slam something that you don't have?

especially when it's a factory option that Ford saw fit to install. the only reason we don't all have one from the factory is because of $$$ savings and because Ford wanted the X to ride super soft for soccer moms. If anyone uses their X for purposes besides putting around town, upgrading/installing a sway bar is a very cheap and effective tool to achieve better ride quality and stability while loaded.

and yes, it lets you enter corners "crazy hard", and keep control of a top heavy rig during sudden maneuvers...all sorts of side benefits IMO
Oh Oh here comes the opposition. Why? "Because I can"
They only had it for the tow package because that is the only place it was needed. I don't have to have something to know what it does, it's a no brainer. I can see some will not agree so I am DONE with this thread.
Maybe some of the more intelligent guys will chime in.......lol

Old 08-13-2014, 03:05 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
JPR, all of us users don't always see eye-to-eye, but lets please keep the personal passive-aggressive kind of posts out.

Guys, my patience for drama in threads is at an all time low right now, so I would appreciate it if we all got along better than we normally do.

Please.

Stewart

Old 08-13-2014, 08:56 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To the OP......

Save your $ and get on amazon and buy a HELLWIG! I bought one and had it delivered for around $240. Install took about 2 hours, most of that was dealing with a teenager that wanted to help me.

Ride is a little harsh compared to without it. I have the bar on the medium setting.

Body roll is just about gone! I road race motorcycles and love to take corners faster then posted. So the lack of body roll makes me smile everyday!

The question I would like you to answer is why are you looking to add a sway bar?

I added one for the body roll and for the fact I think the rearend was neglected by Ford! Anything this large should have a sway bar!

Old 08-13-2014, 10:08 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Restlesswildman
Anything this large should have a sway bar!
(Insert joke about Stewarts waistline needing one here)

Quick Reply: Stock later model sway bar