1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Trozei's '69 F100 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 08:41 PM
trozei
Postmaster
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by greentruck72
i'm 19 myself, gotta say really like your attention to detail.
Thanks. Do it right or do it twice.

Also it's the details that make someone say, "Wow, nice truck!" without actually noticing the specific details that you've done.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:02 PM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts
I have had my truck longer than either of you have been alive, and i am way happy to see that someone under 60 actually likes old bumps, and or, even cares about them... Today, I had 2 bikers, in Los Barilles, Baja, stop me and tell me that they like my old truck... they had to ask "What year is that"?.. but they liked it...

Jackson, your truck will make a blind man take a 2nd look.. Attention to detail 6XXXXXX...
GT72, way comforting to see some youth carrying the ball now..

Baja

Old 08-20-2016, 02:00 AM
trozei
Postmaster
Those are very kind words, Baja.

Old 08-20-2016, 10:18 AM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
I am sure that my opinion is shared by most in the Bump Kingdom.. You deserve it, because you have earned it. In a way, your devotion to the pursuit of excellence, confirms generations of doing things right. The respect we have for your work, is not given lightly, it is earned..

Baja

Old 08-20-2016, 11:33 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by bajafishnut
I am sure that my opinion is shared by most in the Bump Kingdom.. You deserve it, because you have earned it. In a way, your devotion to the pursuit of excellence, confirms generations of doing things right. The respect we have for your work, is not given lightly, it is earned..

Baja
Concur. You're years beyond your actual age.

Your generation would greatly benefit from more like you. Alas, they're too busy playing Pokémon Go, getting tattoos, or wasting hours with an Xbox.

Old 08-20-2016, 02:30 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by HIO Silver

Your generation would greatly benefit from more like you. Alas, they're too busy playing Pokémon Go, getting tattoos, or wasting hours with an Xbox.
I would also add that this generation of people has a tool right at their finger tips to access untold amounts of information --something that our generation didn't have at their disposal growing up. That thing is the internet and yet, it seems most of this generation isn't interested in using this valuable tool to expand their knowledge and understanding of particular things or the world around them.

Tip of the hat to Jackson for being driven and motivated in the desire to be intelligent and the willingness to learn and figure things out. By the time you're my age (almost 50) you'll have amassed a great wealth of knowledge, not just about trucks but about everything in general.

Old 08-20-2016, 05:40 PM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Here, Here, what he said... perhaps they have succumbed to information overload?? I am clueless as to who is on 'Dancing with Bears' and am perfectly satisfied to remain that way. I will read, and re-read Jackson's build with relish, rather than totally waste my life with that dribble.. Jackson is reality,... the other is not..

Baja

Old 08-20-2016, 07:30 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Received 138 Likes on 122 Posts
Thing is, outside of school, nobody really cares to look things up just for the heck of it.

I blame the loss of mechanical skills on technology. Cars used to be a status symbol with the guys. Hot rods, muscle cars, cruising and all that. And you had to constantly maintain them. Cars today aren't that way. The engine is buried in plastic covers and some don't even have dipsticks anymore! They run pretty reliably and perform well without modification. Any decent v6 puts out over 200hp today, with most being in the neighborhood of 300hp. That moves a 2500lb car around pretty good! Go lay down a payment on a mustang, challenger, or camaro, and you've got one hell of a performance machine right out of the box.

So the tinkering comes down to cosmetics. Wheels and tires, custom lights, bumper stickers.... The true gear heads are still out there. But we're not everywhere.

I was the graduating class of 2013, and I was never offered any kind of technical classes in school. No shop class or basic auto. No technical drawing or blueprinting. Nothing like that. My senior year, I was on the ball enough with my credits that I could go to a community tech school for half the school day. I chose the diesel class, but that was a joke. Most productive thing I ever did there was replace a couple injectors and a lift pump on a 7.3 power stroke. (Because I had done it before and was the only one that knew how) but most of the other kids were learning which way to turn the wrench....

College has been different. I've learned things and most others are at a pretty decent mechanical level. But there's not a whole lot of people in our technical programs. The school has a pretty good hire rate out of class though.

So yeah, I blame technology on the shift away from self reliance and people being "jacks of all trades". If it wasn't for my father being who he is (Nebraska farm boy and 35 year veteran machinist), I probably wouldn't know jack-sheet either.

Old 08-20-2016, 09:16 PM
Mtphammer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 351Cleveland C4
Thing is, outside of school, nobody really cares to look things up just for the heck of it.

I blame the loss of mechanical skills on technology. Cars used to be a status symbol with the guys. Hot rods, muscle cars, cruising and all that. And you had to constantly maintain them. Cars today aren't that way. The engine is buried in plastic covers and some don't even have dipsticks anymore! They run pretty reliably and perform well without modification. Any decent v6 puts out over 200hp today, with most being in the neighborhood of 300hp. That moves a 2500lb car around pretty good! Go lay down a payment on a mustang, challenger, or camaro, and you've got one hell of a performance machine right out of the box.

So the tinkering comes down to cosmetics. Wheels and tires, custom lights, bumper stickers.... The true gear heads are still out there. But we're not everywhere.

I was the graduating class of 2013, and I was never offered any kind of technical classes in school. No shop class or basic auto. No technical drawing or blueprinting. Nothing like that. My senior year, I was on the ball enough with my credits that I could go to a community tech school for half the school day. I chose the diesel class, but that was a joke. Most productive thing I ever did there was replace a couple injectors and a lift pump on a 7.3 power stroke. (Because I had done it before and was the only one that knew how) but most of the other kids were learning which way to turn the wrench....

College has been different. I've learned things and most others are at a pretty decent mechanical level. But there's not a whole lot of people in our technical programs. The school has a pretty good hire rate out of class though.

So yeah, I blame technology on the shift away from self reliance and people being "jacks of all trades". If it wasn't for my father being who he is (Nebraska farm boy and 35 year veteran machinist), I probably wouldn't know jack-sheet either.
Right on the money. I've been a lurker of this thread for quite some time and I think it's time now to speak up. Trozei: As a member of my high school graduating class of 2016, you give me inspiration to pay more attention to all the little details. I started building my 1953 Ford F-250 just before 8th grade and it is currently my daily driver. (It has a 300 i6 too! And a five speed!) My first college class is on Monday. Stay safe everyone and I can't wait to see that turbo'd six flying by on my screen.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:10 PM
spdcat72
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The rivets only hold the rubber seal to the vent window frame. The divider bar slides off (with a little persuasion) to reveal the rivets. Just drill em out and use new rivets to put it back together. I used a punch to peen the new ones. No adhesive needed.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:26 PM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I had to glue mine in place also as that it did not come with any replacement rivets when do mine.
And they fit worse then the 30 yr old ones not being as wide leaving a gap in the lower part of the wing vent
Orich

Old 08-21-2016, 08:40 PM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Nail on the head MTPhammer.. but one consolation with the Old School Bumps, many will be running when the disposable automobiles will be headed to the Masher or shredder. Hopefully, more young bloods pick up the mantle, and keep creative, innovative, improvements happening for Bumps for years to come. I have never played a video game, and for that matter, I have lived much of my life without a screen... TV, computer, phones, and the like, and my old truck is still running just fine after 46 years. Some 10 years ago or so, I made a temp. set of points out of the pocket clip, from a ball point pen, and it got me home. Try that with a new car...

Old trucks are crude by modern standards, but they did a lot of work, and they got us home, one way or another, even before AAA came to the rescue... Its great to feel like they matter to some of the youth of today. Keep 'em running...

Old 08-22-2016, 07:08 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 170 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by bajafishnut

Baja
Originally Posted by HIO Silver

Originally Posted by ultraranger
I would also add that this generation of people has a tool right at their finger tips to access untold amounts of information --something that our generation didn't have at their disposal growing up. That thing is the internet and yet, it seems most of this generation isn't interested in using this valuable tool to expand their knowledge and understanding of particular things or the world around them.

Tip of the hat to Jackson for being driven and motivated in the desire to be intelligent and the willingness to learn and figure things out. By the time you're my age (almost 50) you'll have amassed a great wealth of knowledge, not just about trucks but about everything in general.

And a BIG 4X. Which is why I had made him one of the Kingdom Princes.

And Garrett too.

Old 08-28-2016, 03:17 AM
trozei
Postmaster
Thank you all for the kind words.

I didn't want to assemble the doors without cleaning up the glass first so today I had a bunch of friends over for a car detailing day and I had one bring his polisher with him. Took out my glass from storage, used a compound polish on it, carnauba wax, and now it's about as clear as it'll ever be especially considering it's all original or at least OEM. It was pretty hazy before I started. Now it's much more clear. I can now assemble the doors.

Name:  NCfB6sr.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  55.1 KB

Name:  34J5gZy.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  536.8 KB

Name:  Jxkk6Cy.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  539.1 KB

Old 08-29-2016, 02:33 AM
trozei
Postmaster
Alright I figured I'd briefly show you guys what exactly I'm doing on the glass here, using the windshield as an example.

1. Clean.
2. Clay bar.
3. Paint compound polish.
4. Wax.

This is what I was told to do by the glass guy at my shop and I'll give credit where it is due as this method has worked out well for me! He says not to use actual glass polish as it is too gritty and will heat up the glass, causing it to awkwardly warp. You may have noticed this somewhere on someone's glass. If it's wavy, that's likely what happened.

So with this windshield I think the before and after is quite noticeable.

Before

Name:  YyCqxhV.jpg
Size:  569.6 KB

Name:  10OIRD9.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  558.0 KB

Compound

Name:  OSdJhtV.jpg
Size:  498.7 KB

Wax

Name:  fw4jjSa.jpg
Size:  543.7 KB

Final result

Name:  tQjlrvC.jpg
Size:  586.6 KB

Name:  uTPcr6m.jpg
Size:  599.7 KB

Name:  gzjwIC7.jpg
Size:  564.6 KB

Not perfect, but not bad at all for an original windshield.

Quick Reply: Trozei's '69 F100 Build Thread