Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Diesel or Gas???

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 03:34 AM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Diesel or Gas???

Is there anything I should avoid... a certain engine or tranny?
Not really. The six speed truck have far fewer transmission problems than our auto shifting brethren (the exception being the clutch hydraulics), but even they are a fairly small percentage of the total out there. The manual trannies are also much harder to come by.

What am I looking for in terms of 'red flags'?
Excessive smoke, especially blue or white smoke, are a bad sign. A little puff of black smoke is ok. If the previous owner had a chip or other power enhancing devices installed, it might be a sign that it's been beaten on pretty hard, however, like myself most of the folks on this board that have hot rodded our PSD's are meticulous about our maintenance practices, so have a good long talk with the owner if possible.

Also if the engine is, or was "power enhanced" at some point, then it is likely that Ford will not honor what ever is left of the factory 100,000 mile engine warrenty.

Other than that, look for the normal signs of abuse associated with the purchase of any used vehicle.

Old 07-24-2003, 10:09 AM
lots o miles
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel or Gas???

As by the name I have owned my 7.3 PS for three years now and when I bought it, it had been on the road for 120,000 miles pulling a camper and the man had taken very good care of it. I use it every day and put around 225 miles a day on it for seven days in a row and then she gets a seven day break.(Driller on a oilrig) My truck now has 241,000 miles on it and I have had very little problems with it. I have three hands that ride with every day and we all ride comfortably and I have one of them that after riding with me and driving the diesel -traded in his gas for the diesel- . He was telling me he was getting @ 14 miles to the gallon at best while I was touching @ 18-20 -(I dont exactly drive the speed limit (She just runs so good) hope this helps

Old 07-24-2003, 06:09 PM
dakejh
Senior User
Diesel or Gas???

When you buy a truck like an F350 PSD, you seem to expect a lot more out of your truck. However, your truck expects a lot more out of you. I never owned a diesel before the one I have now. For some odd reason a relationship is built with the truck. Not unlike with a classic mustang or comprable classic. You make time for your truck. After all, its not an ordinary truck. Its a Power Stroke. Take care of it. It will certainly take care of you.
For Years...

Old 08-22-2003, 11:29 PM
Justwingem
Junior User
Diesel or Gas???

The diesle alone is its own entity. This post being over a month old I have to ask... How do you like your diesle truck now?