1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Newbie question: 6 volt vs. 12 volt system

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 08:47 PM
fordf348
Laughing Gas
Received 158 Likes on 92 Posts
What is showing on your voltage gauge on the dash?......is it charging or discharging?
Can you borrow a 6 volt battery and see if it starts?

Old 07-16-2014, 08:59 PM
Jacnat
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Voltage meter jumps around a lot but when I rev slightly it moves to charging. I can borrow a 6 volt this weekend and try that. As someone earlier said, I don't think I can trust that PO properly installed this new battery.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:04 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Originally Posted by Jacnat
What do you mean by be careful? Thanks
I was just thinking it would be a shame to blow all the bulbs if it was in fact a 6v system with a 12v battery. Headlights, for example, burn really bright but last less than a minute.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:05 PM
Jacnat
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Jacnat
Voltage meter jumps around a lot but when I rev slightly it moves to charging. I can borrow a 6 volt this weekend and try that. As someone earlier said, I don't think I can trust that PO properly installed this new battery.
Makes sense. Thank you.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:08 PM
Jacnat
Freshman User
Originally Posted by EffieTrucker
I was just thinking it would be a shame to blow all the bulbs if it was in fact a 6v system with a 12v battery. Headlights, for example, burn really bright but last less than a minute.
Makes sense. Thanks

Old 07-16-2014, 09:12 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Check that wire I mentioned between the distributor and the coil. Tell us whether or not it's hooked to the positive or negative lug of the coil. Also, take the lid off your voltage regulator (unhook the battery first) and see if you see anything that says "12V" or "6V", etc. Do the same for the starter solenoid. Other than the electric wiper thing, the dash looks completely stock underneath. I'm beginning to believe somebody slapped a 12 volt battery in that truck, switched it to negative ground, swapped out the light bulbs, and just said to hell with everything else...... Jacnat, you are very smart to stop and figure this out now. Also, your wiring is just barely better than what mine was. You need to cover those exposed wires with some electrical tape and seriously consider a complete re-wire. I re-wired my 6 volt truck in just a few hours earlier this summer with an OEM harness. The oil pressure sender is a newer 12 volt type sender.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:14 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc
Hey guys, where is the voltage regulator mounted on a six cylinder truck?
The regulator is mounted on the firewall above the starter relay on the driver's side.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:19 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
I have an idea. Put a volt meter on the output of the generator. Rev the engine until the ammeter on the dash says it's charging, then pop off a battery cable. (the ground cable would be safest) If the gen output is 7 volts, it's a 6 volt generator. If the gen output is 13-14 volts, it's a 12.

If there is any reason that won't work, let me know. I'll drive down and meet Doc somewhere and he can slap me in the back of the head for you guys.

I notice it has an new electric wiper motor, which is cool. I doesn't mean it's 6v or 12v, but it's still cool.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:22 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Not to change the subject, but you need to tape these exposed wires up, and check the all the other wires in the meantime.

Name:  not good jacnat's dash.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  120.6 KB

Old 07-16-2014, 09:45 PM
Jacnat
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Doc
Not to change the subject, but you need to tape these exposed wires up, and check the all the other wires in the meantime.

Attachment 102588
Doc, all exposed wires have been taped. I'm a small guy but felt like I still needed to stand on my head to get under the dash. Thanks for pointing that out. I will pull the cover off the regulator and solenoid tomorrow and report back what I find. Thanks again to all. Mystery continues for tonight.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:42 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
I see an aftermarket windshield wiper motor in there. I don't know of any that are 6v.

The 6v generators simply need a 12v regulator to put out 12v; but they put out correspondingly less current. (about 25 as I recall).

Somewhere on the regulator should be printed the voltage. It looks to me like the system is 12v.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:38 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Six-volt electric wipers are available (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Pickup-Truck-Electric-Wiper-Motor-Conversion-6V-/310764820227?_trksid=p2054897.l4275 as an example). Maybe when he checks the regulator and solenoid, he'll know more. But, I agree, it looks like they switched it to 12-volt, but who knows if it was done completely.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:48 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Back to your original post about damage; My swag is the only damage you'll do the truck is ignition system and light bulbs if it has not been converted. The ignition system will be short lived, points, coil perhaps, condenser. As has been mentioned, that old wiring is a disaster waiting to surface.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:55 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
I don't see any voltage regulators for the gauges; if it is to be run on 12v, it needs them. Don't see a ballast resistor but it could be an internally ballasted coil. The voltage should be printed or stamped into the coil.

Easy enough to disconnect the headlight switch feed, brake light feed, and the gauge power feed, and run only the ignition and generating system to see what it puts out. A short run like that won't hurt anything.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:59 AM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
I'll add a few things here.

First welcome to the forum Jacnat. You've done quite well figuring out posting pictures and all.

I have purchased and installed that new 6V wiper motor and it works very well - it may be the same one you have under your dash, which is a good thing.

I had bought a new 6V battery for my truck and three months later I learned that you can buy an 8 volt battery that fits too. The 8 volts will give better starting and won't blow out the gauges or stock type bulbs. I'm still using the 6V battery cause I paid over $100 for it and it works. Something to consider if you are going to buy a battery.

My six volt system provides excellent brightness on the headlights, turn signals, and brake lights. Don't let anyone say otherwise. Can't tell any difference from a 12v system but your grounds have to be sanded bare and secure.
There are plenty of six-volt new-old-stock gauges, bulbs, regulators, horn relays and all kinds of stuff available on E-Bay. no shortage of things.

Tom

Quick Reply: Newbie question: 6 volt vs. 12 volt system