1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Changing the differential

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 10:42 AM
brentkhack
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Changing the differential

I have axle code 16 (3.73 open) on my 04 Navigator. Will an axle code H6 (3.73 LS) bolt right in? I want to make sure it is as easy as unbolting the old and bolt in the new. The 3.73 LS will be from an 03-06 expedition, I forgot to look at the year. Thanks.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:59 AM
2trux
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't see any reason it shouldn't.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:52 AM
broncoholic
Laughing Gas
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
If your Navigator has AdvanceTrac, putting a LS diff in there will probably play hell with it. Since you plan on getting a used one, also keep in mind that the 03-04 models had an issue with the clutch pads wearing out. I don't remember if the 05-06 had the same problem. So based on that, I'd rebuild the LS before installing it.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:56 PM
brentkhack
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by broncoholic
If your Navigator has AdvanceTrac, putting a LS diff in there will probably play hell with it. Since you plan on getting a used one, also keep in mind that the 03-04 models had an issue with the clutch pads wearing out. I don't remember if the 05-06 had the same problem. So based on that, I'd rebuild the LS before installing it.
I do have AdvanceTrac (shows up in message center when I turn the vehicle on), but why would it play hell with it? Not doubting, but I always like to know why. The reason I am swapping out is in the future I will be towing a boat. So in your opinion would you keep my current open differential with AdvanceTrac or put in the LSD? So having AdvanceTrac and LSD isn't an option?

Old 07-14-2014, 02:37 PM
broncoholic
Laughing Gas
AdvanceTrac uses a number of sensors to monitor traction and then manages it by reducing engine output and/or applying the brakes at individual wheels as needed. With a LSD, I would expect some situations to arise where the AdvanceTrac would conflict with the LSD. I do not believe it was a factory option to get the two together. It's worth researching. If they were available together then I wouldn't worry about it. If not, then I'd stick with an open diff.

Old 07-14-2014, 03:08 PM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
You could not get LSD with Advance Trac.

Old 07-14-2014, 03:20 PM
broncoholic
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by alwaysfords41
You could not get LSD with Advance Trac.
Thank you. I'd stick with the open diff then.

OR invest in a selectable locker, I think they're available for our application. You could shut off the AdvanceTrac and engage the locker when you need it, which I would expect to be pretty rare.

Old 07-14-2014, 03:43 PM
brentkhack
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by broncoholic
Thank you. I'd stick with the open diff then.

OR invest in a selectable locker, I think they're available for our application. You could shut off the AdvanceTrac and engage the locker when you need it, which I would expect to be pretty rare.
I'm getting the differential for free. So if I am pulling out a boat the AdvanceTrac would be better than LSD? I do not want to spend money on this project

Old 07-14-2014, 04:26 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

Originally Posted by brentkhack
I'm getting the differential for free. So if I am pulling out a boat the AdvanceTrac would be better than LSD? I do not want to spend money on this project
I haven't used AdvanceTrac but it sounds like that would help to reduce slipping when pulling on a wet ramp by limiting or reducing pulling power at that wheel.

The LS diff will pull with both wheels equally and I think give you better traction on a wet ramp.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:00 PM
brentkhack
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by r2millers
I haven't used AdvanceTrac but it sounds like that would help to reduce slipping when pulling on a wet ramp by limiting or reducing pulling power at that wheel.

The LS diff will pull with both wheels equally and I think give you better traction on a wet ramp.
Why would the engineer to reduce power or apply brakes, especially if towing. That's crazy.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:03 PM
brentkhack
Mountain Pass
Right now i'm going to try it out. If i am pulling out i can turn off advancetrac. If it goes crazy in a hurry, then i will put the old differential back in. I will be installing in 2 weeks.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:13 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
How big a boat and how steep a ramp are you talking?
Is the ramp hard surface or loose sand/gravel?

I use a very steep ramp (I keep the liftgate open so I can see what is going on but I have to take the luggage out of the Navi or the luggage will slide out the back coming up the ramp). Just put it in 4L and don't even have to give it any gas and it just walks the boat and trailer right out.

Why don't you make a practice run and see how your current set up performs.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:24 PM
brentkhack
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by pdqford
How big a boat and how steep a ramp are you talking?
Is the ramp hard surface or loose sand/gravel?

I use a very steep ramp (I keep the liftgate open so I can see what is going on but I have to take the luggage out of the Navi or the luggage will slide out the back coming up the ramp). Just put it in 4L and don't even have to give it any gas and it just walks the boat and trailer right out.

Why don't you make a practice run and see how your current set up performs.
I dont have a boat yet. I am getting it ready for max towing if needed. Also i have no clue about ramps yet since i havent looked at them yet. Did you learn the hard way by taking the luggage out.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:52 AM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
You are way over thinking this, and doubly so since you haven't ever pulled a boat up a ramp. Advance Trac will get you up a ramp just fine. It isn't like ramps are littered with vehicles that can't pull their boats out.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:06 AM
brentkhack
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by alwaysfords41
You are way over thinking this, and doubly so since you haven't ever pulled a boat up a ramp. Advance Trac will get you up a ramp just fine. It isn't like ramps are littered with vehicles that can't pull their boats out.
You might be right I am over thinking this. It wouldn't be the first time. I just don't like the idea to reduce wheel spin is to reduce power at the exact time I need power. Wouldn't turning off AdvanceTrac when pulling boat out be better since full power will be used to both rear tires? I would be the ******* that would have my vehicle totally submerged into the water

Quick Reply: Changing the differential