1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Wallowed out wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 07:08 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Ken, I think I need the 16x7" wheel w/ 8 on 6.5"
What I really need to do is pull one off and check the engineering number.

I know dually's used a 6" wide rim and a 205 tire, but much of Rockauto's information is questionable.
There was a boycott organized here not long ago due to shipping the wrong product and their not accepting returns on same.

With my stock 235/85 R-16e tires most calculators say even a 7" rim is too narrow.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:13 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Originally Posted by Franklin2
I went to the store and found they had sets of aftermarket lug nuts in the standard thread, but they are larger in diameter and should cure my problem. In most cases when you buy these things you start cussing when you find out your stock lug wrench that came with the car won't work, but in this case if they made them in the size to fit your truck, it will be a blessing in disguise and may cure your problem also.
9/16-18 thread, 1 1/16" hex, 60* seat.
I need nuts that go all the way through because the studs are so long.

Dorman has stock replacement nuts in a box of 10, #611-061

I am going to look through some chain stores websites and see what I can find.
Thanks!

Old 06-29-2014, 07:43 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

U-haul has stock nuts for 1.49 on Ebay.
They combine shipping.

Ford Truck Nut E7TZ1120A | eBay

Old 06-29-2014, 08:15 AM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
There was a boycott organized here not long ago due to shipping the wrong product and their not accepting returns on same.
Not that I remember; do you have a link?

Biggest problem I remember was somebody purchasing an air conditioner compressor they tried to return for some reason but this was problematic because the guy couldn't prove he had also replaced some other required parts at the same time (although they *did* ultimately accept it back). This is stated up front in several places during the purchasing process and I understand it is SOP in the air conditioning business.

I'm aware of a few other small problems maybe involving incorrect parts being shipped but I don't remember them not accepting them back if the cause was theirs.

To my knowledge, there was no such boycott being organized here except by perhaps Gary and one or two others (and Gary is quite vocal about the problems he had) and the information they provide is pretty helpful IMHO, I generally don't deem it questionable.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:24 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

I remember Gary had a brass v/ aluminum heater core issue, or something.

Perhaps it was in the '87-'96 section...

I don't like the way they ship from multiple warehouses and then KILL you on shipping.
I know they are a sponsor here and do have very good prices on many items.

I have used them before but doubt I will this time.
Definitely not looking to disparage them or start something.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:01 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I find used rims regularly on Craigs List, often with tires. I have one loose int he shop right now. Also, you can use newer rims, the only difference I have seen is that the hub center doesn't use the formed flange, but goes straight onto the hub. Both styles are hub centric.

It sounds a lot like somehow the holes egged out and now you can't hold it tight. Only real fix is replace the rim and nuts.

For lugs, I know there are places out there that have them. I bought a set of chromed ones that run full length for the 9/16 thread on my 86. The chrome has rusted through already, but it sit out all the time and also has been run in the crud and not always washed off in a timely manner. If I remember, I got the whole set for around $50. That was for all 4 wheels. I like them for the fact that there is no exposed threads. Gorilla lug nuts is the brand I think.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:24 AM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Worn lug holes in the wheels can be a serious issue. I know stock wheels typically have a better lug seat design than many of the cheaper aftermarket steel wheels. The downside to this, it can get worn down after many cycles of loosen/tighten the nuts. The nuts can also wear, and when both get worn enough, they won't secure the wheel as well as they should, which leads to increased wear rate. If left uncorrected long enough, the wheel can eventually part ways with the truck.
When you have it apart, inspecting the lugs and holes, also check out the studs. If the wheel has been moving around a little, it could be wearing into the studs too.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:31 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

I just bought 16 new lugs from U-haultechcenter and think I will just get the new pair of Summit wheels.
I need to confirm my wheel width and backspacing first.

I have seen some pretty questionable used wheels on Ebay today and they are as much -or more- than the ones I linked once shipping is factored in.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:59 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Originally Posted by fellro86
For lugs, I know there are places out there that have them. I bought a set of chromed ones that run full length for the 9/16 thread on my 86. The chrome has rusted through already, but it sit out all the time and also has been run in the crud and not always washed off in a timely manner. If I remember, I got the whole set for around $50. That was for all 4 wheels. I like them for the fact that there is no exposed threads. Gorilla lug nuts is the brand I think.
For $44 a wheel this just isn't happening.
Besides I'm not sure my dogdishes would fit over them.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/go...ByaLGPTIfD_BwE

Old 06-29-2014, 11:09 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
You may well be right about the hub caps. I don't have any... But I didn't get them through Summit, I got them elsewhere. Found this on Amazon, $25 for 2 wheels :
Amazon.com: Gorilla Automotive 76198 9/16" Duplex Acorn Lug Nut - Box of 16: Automotive Amazon.com: Gorilla Automotive 76198 9/16" Duplex Acorn Lug Nut - Box of 16: Automotive

Extra long at about $25 per wheel, a little more than I would want to spend, but seems the way of the day:
Amazon.com: Gorilla Automotive 76198XL 9/16" Duplex Acorn Extra Long Lug Nut - Single Piece: Automotive Amazon.com: Gorilla Automotive 76198XL 9/16" Duplex Acorn Extra Long Lug Nut - Single Piece: Automotive

A different site, with actual dims you can verify by: http://www.brandsport.com/grla-76198xl.html

Old 06-29-2014, 11:55 AM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
Best I find is Summit on Ebay offering 2 for $210 delivered (in black)

Wheel Vintiques 82 Series White Wheel 16"x7" 8x6 5" Set of 2 | eBay
Summit racing lists them on their main website, for the same price and free shipping.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wvi-82-670804

Old 06-29-2014, 12:03 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Originally Posted by Rogue_Wulff
Summit racing lists them on their main website, for the same price and free shipping.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wvi-82-670804
I see that but my Ebay/PayPal account is all set up and the purchase is the same.

It's great that they offer free shipping on combined orders over $99.
My muffler would have been very expensive if I hadn't added the flanges and clamps.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:06 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Just put that out there in case it was easier to order directly from summit, vs ebay.
Some folks prefer to deal directly with the source, rather thru ebay.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:10 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Anybody know what the stock rim width and back spacing is for these rims?
I really can't drag a floor jack out there and remove the wheel with one hand.

Old 06-29-2014, 01:56 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
That was my intent when I said I had one loose... I'll grab a tape and check it out after a bit.

Quick Reply: Wallowed out wheels?