Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 09:15 AM
redroad
Lead Driver
Received 493 Likes on 411 Posts
Certainly the cummins swap is the ultimate but your truck would be down for awhile even if you could work on it full time and it would be pricey ..
If 390 this would be a good start .. The .040 over would need to be inspected because there's not much left to bore .. Ford FE 360 390 parts

Old 08-26-2014, 08:57 AM
Lloydable
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by trozei
When you literally flip the lid over. A taller intake element helps.

interesting. where would you get the taller element?

Thanks for the link Redroad, I will keep pondering it.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:27 AM
trozei
Postmaster
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Bring your air filter to a parts store, say you want another one but an inch or two taller. The new one's height will depend on the lid. Next time you're bored, flip your lid and find out how much taller of an element you'll need to be able to properly tighten down the lid. Some might work right away, others will need a taller filter.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:00 AM
Lloydable
Tuned
Thanks guys! I'll check out the air filter thing soon.

So in the next 3 weeks I will put about 1200 miles on the truck starting this weekend. 370 miles towing (5000lbs or less), some driving there, 370 miles back (this is through the mountains) then a few days later, 221 with a bed load (1,000 lbs) over rabbit ears and hoosier pass and then another 370 through the mountains to my new home.

So, I woke up a little panicked this morning about the truck and started thinking preventative. Even though I trust it pretty well at this point and figured this stuff could wait until I am at my new home, because none of this stretches are overly large, 1000 miles isn't that many, and it is a cool time of year. But today I am second guessing that.

My axle fluid is a little dirty (Gray), but full in both diffs. I have not seen the gears yet. Not sure I want to until I hammer this move out, but everything feels fine. Should I change it before running that far or wait until after? I am also trying to figure out if I have a LSD. Do all highboys have that? I am pretty much positive I have 4.10's. I haven't seen any axle identification on the axles themselves.

I checked my trans and T-case fluid and it looked good and clear and full... probably don't need to mess with it. Any reason otherwise? I will check it again also.

Cooling system. I am ashamed to admit this, but I do notice little flakes in the radiator sometimes and I haven't done anything about it. But that is mostly because my plans have changed drastically. So now I am wondering if I change it before or after heavy use. Money is a little bit of an issue (giving most of it to big oil).... I am also worried about overheating. I do leak some out of the heater core occasionally when parked so I pay very close attention to it and always carry antifreeze. I have only had a real heat issue once or twice, now that I understand it's ranges. Once climbing the 7% grade for 12 miles then jumping off the highway into low speed climbing. It hit the P on the gauge but cooled off eventually, and the other was low speed trailer maneuvering on a hot day in tall grass. What would you do? Really the question is whether or not it is vital to do it before or if I can wait until after the move, when it will be A LOT easier.

Power Steering pump and belts. My power steering fluid is good, but my pump whines.... like really whines. You can hear it on the highway. Always has, and the pulley wobbles a bit. Again, I hadn't addressed it to this point because I had no plans of long distances, so now I am thinking I should replace it and the belt that is solely responsible for it. Unless you were to say that it is normal for these trucks to whine like that? I also will replace my alternator belt because they are showing cracking and wear.

Now, a question about gauges. I have noticed that, well, they are not accurate. There seems to be some kind of voltage problem where temp, fuel, and oil will all fall about 1/6 of the gauge lower at random times. Which makes it look like my oil pressure is low and my temperature is amazing (between E and M). but then sometimes the oil gauge is low and the temp is normal and the fuel is halfway. So maybe it's not an all or nothing problem. But when the truck first starts. I have oil pressure up above the I and temp climbs until the thermostat opens and then levels out where it sits. The engine does not show signs of low oil pressure. It runs very well, idles for long periods of time, is responsive, and requires very little attention other than my paranoia. So, is this common? How difficult would additional gauges be to install?

Sorry for the long winded pontification. It helps to write it all down and get different opinions. I am fairly confident that I could just get in it and do all this without a problem, but I want to be smart about it.

Thanks in advance! Oh yea and a photo of the first hauling job the truck did. Taking my old camper to the dump in the trailer I'll be using to move. BTW, I LOVE this truck!!!

Old 09-09-2014, 01:20 PM
emeraldcoupe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Lloydable
Thanks guys! I'll check out the air filter thing soon.

So in the next 3 weeks I will put about 1200 miles on the truck starting this weekend. 370 miles towing (5000lbs or less), some driving there, 370 miles back (this is through the mountains) then a few days later, 221 with a bed load (1,000 lbs) over rabbit ears and hoosier pass and then another 370 through the mountains to my new home.

So, I woke up a little panicked this morning about the truck and started thinking preventative. Even though I trust it pretty well at this point and figured this stuff could wait until I am at my new home, because none of this stretches are overly large, 1000 miles isn't that many, and it is a cool time of year. But today I am second guessing that.

My axle fluid is a little dirty (Gray), but full in both diffs. I have not seen the gears yet. Not sure I want to until I hammer this move out, but everything feels fine. Should I change it before running that far or wait until after? I am also trying to figure out if I have a LSD. Do all highboys have that? I am pretty much positive I have 4.10's. I haven't seen any axle identification on the axles themselves.

I checked my trans and T-case fluid and it looked good and clear and full... probably don't need to mess with it. Any reason otherwise? I will check it again also.

Cooling system. I am ashamed to admit this, but I do notice little flakes in the radiator sometimes and I haven't done anything about it. But that is mostly because my plans have changed drastically. So now I am wondering if I change it before or after heavy use. Money is a little bit of an issue (giving most of it to big oil).... I am also worried about overheating. I do leak some out of the heater core occasionally when parked so I pay very close attention to it and always carry antifreeze. I have only had a real heat issue once or twice, now that I understand it's ranges. Once climbing the 7% grade for 12 miles then jumping off the highway into low speed climbing. It hit the P on the gauge but cooled off eventually, and the other was low speed trailer maneuvering on a hot day in tall grass. What would you do? Really the question is whether or not it is vital to do it before or if I can wait until after the move, when it will be A LOT easier.

Power Steering pump and belts. My power steering fluid is good, but my pump whines.... like really whines. You can hear it on the highway. Always has, and the pulley wobbles a bit. Again, I hadn't addressed it to this point because I had no plans of long distances, so now I am thinking I should replace it and the belt that is solely responsible for it. Unless you were to say that it is normal for these trucks to whine like that? I also will replace my alternator belt because they are showing cracking and wear.

Now, a question about gauges. I have noticed that, well, they are not accurate. There seems to be some kind of voltage problem where temp, fuel, and oil will all fall about 1/6 of the gauge lower at random times. Which makes it look like my oil pressure is low and my temperature is amazing (between E and M). but then sometimes the oil gauge is low and the temp is normal and the fuel is halfway. So maybe it's not an all or nothing problem. But when the truck first starts. I have oil pressure up above the I and temp climbs until the thermostat opens and then levels out where it sits. The engine does not show signs of low oil pressure. It runs very well, idles for long periods of time, is responsive, and requires very little attention other than my paranoia. So, is this common? How difficult would additional gauges be to install?

Sorry for the long winded pontification. It helps to write it all down and get different opinions. I am fairly confident that I could just get in it and do all this without a problem, but I want to be smart about it.

Thanks in advance! Oh yea and a photo of the first hauling job the truck did. Taking my old camper to the dump in the trailer I'll be using to move. BTW, I LOVE this truck!!!

the truck is coming along nicely.

I want to live where you do, the pics you post are beautiful! I hate florida,lol.

Old 09-09-2014, 02:01 PM
redroad
Lead Driver
Walmart has 50/50 prestone for $10.47 a gal.
Heater core at rock auto $30
Let the power steering pump whine until you have some money to throw at a power steering gear box conversion to a 4 bolt 78-79 integrated power steering gear box with a saginaw power steering pump .. Then no more whine

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-FE-Engine-Power-Steering-Bracket-390-427-428-V-Belt-Billet-Aluminum-/110763232135?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19ca00cb87&vxp=mtr

Old 09-09-2014, 11:06 PM
2nosy4owngood
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i cant say for the rest of it but as far as gauge accuracy you might want to look i to this 1973 - 79 Ford Pickup VHX Instruments

Old 09-09-2014, 11:54 PM
rougeriver
Fleet Mechanic
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Lloydable

Another awesome photo! That sky is freeking unbelievable!
I expect to see Charleton Heston up on that mountain (or maybe on top of that sad camper) with the Ten Commandments in his hands!

Oh, and Lloyd, BTW, you've got the coolest, most awesome truck on here! Love it! I really hope you never paint it or change the way it looks...it's perfect!

David

Old 09-10-2014, 11:08 AM
Lloydable
Tuned
Originally Posted by redroad
Walmart has 50/50 prestone for $10.47 a gal.
Heater core at rock auto $30
Let the power steering pump whine until you have some money to throw at a power steering gear box conversion to a 4 bolt 78-79 integrated power steering gear box with a saginaw power steering pump .. Then no more whine

I might way to do any serious upgrades for when I put a cummins in. So I put a PS pump on yesterday and two new belts and checked everything else out. I think she is ready to roll! Thanks again!
Originally Posted by 2nosy4owngood
i cant say for the rest of it but as far as gauge accuracy you might want to look i to this 1973 - 79 Ford Pickup VHX Instruments
$800 is too much, even for something that awesome! I think I'd rather make my own during a swap I did see some gauges from auto meter at NAPA. I could cover the main three for $50. Need to research how to install though. Any links?

Originally Posted by rougeriver
Another awesome photo! That sky is freeking unbelievable!
I expect to see Charleton Heston up on that mountain (or maybe on top of that sad camper) with the Ten Commandments in his hands!

Oh, and Lloyd, BTW, you've got the coolest, most awesome truck on here! Love it! I really hope you never paint it or change the way it looks...it's perfect!

David
LOL! Thank you very much. My plan right now is to leave it as is! I should have even better pictures coming after I move. Where I live is beautiful, but it doesn't compare to my new home. These are all my pictures of previous trucks. I have dreamed about living here (South West Colorado in the San Juan Mountains) forever and I am finally doing it. All of these pictures are less than 200 miles from my new home and as close as 50. I am moving to Dolores, which is 60 miles south of Telluride.

My first ford:

This is on Ophir pass which I could be on in less than an hour.

Same with this

This is on top of the actual Coors Waterfall, 100 mi. or so

My Dodge at 13,850 at our camp site believe or not

That night watching a lightning storm in the distance:

Just another cool picture.

And this is really the picture that started it all.

Sorry, I can't stop...
Some bull elk below the pass. We started way down there at the bottom

Almost to the top of Picayne Pass

A view of Corkscrew pass and Black Bear Pass and highway 550

A crazy looking old mining attempt

Anyway, soon in the future, the highboy will be the star of photos like these.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:09 PM
TheStuffz
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
this thread should be re-named to Awesome truck of the year lol

Old 09-10-2014, 05:00 PM
redroad
Lead Driver
First time I was in Telluride was in 1971 and main street was a dirt road and the sheriff road a horse Me and the wife have been to the bluegrass festival there many times ..

The aspens there should look like this soon

Old 09-11-2014, 09:50 AM
Lloydable
Tuned
Originally Posted by TheStuffz
this thread should be re-named to Awesome truck of the year lol
Thank you !

Originally Posted by redroad
First time I was in Telluride was in 1971 and main street was a dirt road and the sheriff road a horse Me and the wife have been to the bluegrass festival there many times ..
The Original Flecktones at Telluride! - YouTube

The aspens there should look like this soon

Nice! yea I am so excited. Ill be excited to post pictures of all the $#*! I haul and the scenery along the way

Old 09-11-2014, 10:55 AM
redroad
Lead Driver
Fall in Pennsylvania where we live

Old 09-11-2014, 11:27 AM
somethingclever
Cargo Master
Received 188 Likes on 135 Posts
these pictures are UNREAL Lloyd....well done.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:46 PM
nutter3
More Turbo
Received 251 Likes on 159 Posts
Great pictures LLoyd. I drove through that area one time, it is spectacular.
Are you sure those are elk? They look like mule deer to me.

Quick Reply: Reliability