Kentucky Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: SideWinder4.9l

March 2014 BS Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 11:20 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
While doing a search on mountain lions and cougars, I saw a website where residents in Illinois are trying to keep people from killing them. While we're on the topic of animals in Ky, have any of you seen any Bald Eagles in the state? I think I have seen a couple, but I'm not sure. They were the size of a Chicken Hawk, but their breast was white, and the rest of the birds were a dark gray. My brother-in-law is very knowledgeable on birds of prey, and he said that they don't get their trademark white feathers on their heads until they are 5 years old.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:37 PM
79FordBlake
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've only seen one. I seen it at Kentucky lake. There is quite a few in Tennessee at ReelFoot Lake which isn't to far from where I live.

Old 03-21-2014, 04:19 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
I've been busy!

Finally got my waterpump changed, and the radiator patched (Thank God for JB Weld), since Kelly's Radiator Service in Oil Springs, KY wants $75.00 to do the exact same job they did for $30.00 year before last.

So now it's just down to me swapping the fan and fan clutch, and putting the thermostat/gasket back in, and putting the radiator in.

I have new Energy Suspension Polyurethane Body mounts on their way!

Finally getting the opportunity to replace my Radiator Support (Have had a new one in my shed since August 2012).

Old 03-21-2014, 12:25 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 133 Likes on 57 Posts
I saw a bald eagle at my place back in August. I was driving up my driveway and the shadow and presence of a BIG bird kind of got my attention. It was only about 15 or 20 yards up in the air when I saw it. No doubt whatsoever that it was a mature bald eagle. By the time I fumbled around and got my phone out of my pocket, it was pretty high up in the air, but I got a picture. It landed in a tree about 200 yards away. When I snuck around my house to get closer, it gave one big lunge and glided away. I've never seen it since. We have a nesting pair at Carr Creek Lake.

John, you're right, it takes five years for them to develop those white feathers.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:29 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by Doc
I saw a bald eagle at my place back in August. I was driving up my driveway and the shadow and presence of a BIG bird kind of got my attention. It was only about 15 or 20 yards up in the air when I saw it. No doubt whatsoever that it was a mature bald eagle. By the time I fumbled around and got my phone out of my pocket, it was pretty high up in the air, but I got a picture. It landed in a tree about 200 yards away. When I snuck around my house to get closer, it gave one big lunge and glided away. I've never seen it since. We have a nesting pair at Carr Creek Lake.

John, you're right, it takes five years for them to develop those white feathers.
How's things going down in your neck of the woods, eh Doc?

Is your shindig gonna be on the agenda this year, again in Sept.?

Old 03-21-2014, 12:31 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Well it's Little League season, so I'm living at the field.

We're not going to have a shindig at my place this year. Kind of spreading the love across the country to the other members.

Old 03-22-2014, 12:01 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 905 Likes on 480 Posts
I've only seen two in Kentucky. One at the LBL and one in the Big South Fork area in McCreary County.

We see them all the time on our trips to the Boundary Waters of Northern Minnesota. We saw this guy a couple of years ago. We paddled to within 25 yard of him.

Attached Images  
Old 03-23-2014, 12:41 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts
Good afternoon to everyone...enjoy your Sunday and the new week!

Old 03-23-2014, 01:29 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
A very big weekend for basketball here in Ky! We've got the NCAA Tournament going on as well as the High School Sweet 16 Tournament. Scott County is in the championship game going against Covington Catholic. That game is in progress right now. UK plays a little later this afternoon. But can you believe the upsets this year?!! Certainly making things exciting! Louisville has advanced already to the Sweet 16. I have noticed that most of the games I've watched are not pretty games. They are battles for sure.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:08 PM
79FordBlake
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Been out messing around in the yard. Would have really been a nice day if the wind would have died down.

Gotta get up early in the morning. Finally going back to work after being laid off since thanksgiving. I'm sure this is gonna be rough.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:24 PM
rywegh
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
UK and Louisville play each other Friday night... sucks I am at the hospital then. Think I will be turning on the TV's in the ER to the game and lose the remotes. lol
I am doing my role transition in the ER and I have already passed my HESI RN Exit exam. Only things left to do is get through Role transition and pass my last two tests. Come on May 10th.

COvCath won the state total in Overtime. Congrats to them

Old 03-24-2014, 09:28 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
I remember my days in UK's ER. I was in med school. Saw some pretty wild stuff and learned a lot. I didn't think I'd survive it, but somehow I did. I was there when UK lost one of its medevac crews in that crash.

I just changed the complete headlight assemblies on my 97 F-150. Supposed to be really simple, put it was a PITA.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:19 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

I've had a scary, crazy day...UGH.

Was burning some thickets out on our property to hopefully eradicate any snake nests/dens, and after nearly finishing, the wind picked up and carried the flames up to the next "Tier" of the property, over the area i had raked clean..

In less than 30 minutes, the flames had spread the the top of the hill (300' or so) in a swath ranging from 75'-125' wide.

Had to call the volunteer fire dept that is a couple miles away to come help me get it under control.

Thankfully, nothing was harmed, aside from a ton of thickets I was dreading to have to cut out manually...

So yeah, I'm pretty pooped.

On the bright side, in a crazy twist of fate, I'm saved a ton of time and my back is thanking me from not having to deal with the thickets, aside from mowing a few stray briars down.

The scariest part, was that the wind pushed the fire to within 20' of my neighbors house. But randomly stopped going laterally, and went straight up the hill. No issues with that from me.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:30 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
The same exact thing happened to a friend of mine here about a month ago. He burned some trash the day after a snow storm, and almost burned his neighbor's house down. The forestry department made him pay the bill.

COMMUNICATION CUTTERS This guy must have gotten arrested stealing copper phone lines, and he needs to make bail now.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:51 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by Doc
The same exact thing happened to a friend of mine here about a month ago. He burned some trash the day after a snow storm, and almost burned his neighbor's house down. The forestry department made him pay the bill.
Was it a big bill? How long until they gave it to him?

Quick Reply: March 2014 BS Thread