6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Cold start capability

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 06:24 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
Wow, some of you guys really let it get cold before you plug in! I have no regular schedule as to when I drive my truck, so in the morning when I leave, I unplug the work truck and plug in the pickup. That way if I need it, it's warm. Mine gets plugged in anywhere under 40. It starts fine without being plugged in but I like instant heat. Now my work truck, a 2012 Pete with an 8.9 Paccar(cummins) engine, gets very cranky under 32F, unless it's plugged in. But the optima batteries in it just suck.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:28 PM
JReinert
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I called the place that I got fuel at and they say that their fuel is good to -31F. Not so much. After some powerservice (white bottle) didn't do the trick I put some 911 in it. I had no choice! That still did not do it. Ended up in -50F windchill taking the filter out from under the truck. It was totally encased in wax. Took heat gun and got it clean and installed. This still did not do it, it was clogged again. I knew not to put any more 911 in it after I put some in the filter housing before installing the second time. I had no choice but to try to get as much of it in the heated garage as I could. Picture cardboard and insulation wrapped around the *** end of the truck hanging out of the garage. I poured the heat to it for several hours and got it to clear up. I then added 6 gallons of straight number one and hopefully it will be good in the morning. I have never had any luck getting diesel to clear up except for heat. I spent all day messing with this and to finish the day, when I was backing out of the garage I smashed my drivers side mirror against the sidewall of the garage. Say goodbye to another $400. Where's my rum!!

Old 01-06-2014, 06:34 PM
JReinert
Senior User
Oh, I forgot to mention. I saw a little puddle of anti-freeze dead center of the radiator, not the usual spots when the last two radiator started leaking. I could not tell where it was coming from and it was to cold to look real hard. Also, I had transfer case fluid leaking out the from of the t-case where the drive shaft goes in. I have 156K on the truck, is this the life span of a 60K truck before we have to put $1500 bucks into it every other month? Sorry for venting. Jason

Old 01-06-2014, 06:35 PM
FORD-DNA
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please don't kill the messenger but.... The price of a new mirror is more then 400..... I know from personal experience.

Sorry to hear about your struggles today...

Old 01-06-2014, 06:46 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by JReinert
I called the place that I got fuel at and they say that their fuel is good to -31F. Not so much. After some powerservice (white bottle) didn't do the trick I put some 911 in it. I had no choice! That still did not do it. Ended up in -50F windchill taking the filter out from under the truck. It was totally encased in wax. Took heat gun and got it clean and installed. This still did not do it, it was clogged again. I knew not to put any more 911 in it after I put some in the filter housing before installing the second time. I had no choice but to try to get as much of it in the heated garage as I could. Picture cardboard and insulation wrapped around the *** end of the truck hanging out of the garage. I poured the heat to it for several hours and got it to clear up. I then added 6 gallons of straight number one and hopefully it will be good in the morning. I have never had any luck getting diesel to clear up except for heat. I spent all day messing with this and to finish the day, when I was backing out of the garage I smashed my drivers side mirror against the sidewall of the garage. Say goodbye to another $400. Where's my rum!!
Poor fella! Just to top it off, smacking the mirror. I can just see myself doing that now and cussing and trying to blame the wife for me hitting my truck LOL :/ Might want to run some sweet lubing agents in the truck to try and offset the 911. Is this the only work you have had to do though in 150k miles?

Old 01-06-2014, 06:48 PM
FTE Herman
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well it started just fine at -12F this morning... Now I'm more worried about Jason's issue (gelling). Hopefully the Ford black label prevents this problem...

Old 01-06-2014, 06:58 PM
lbersude
Freshman User
Cold start

Going to -15 here so it's the first time to plug in the 2011. See how it goes! Today pulled in the drive and plenty of drifted snow, switched to 4 wheel and the "check 4 wheel drive" message came up. Truck did not completely go in to 4 wheel. After I got pulled it was fine, in and out with no issue. Frozen? Thoughts? Thanks

2011 f-250 crew cab lariat, special edition seats.
58,000 miles 0 issues. Great truck!

Old 01-06-2014, 07:32 PM
sledhead_24_7
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I never plug mine in, seen lots of -30 and -40 below without wind chill added into it, starts like a champ.

As far as things to do to prevent gelling, if you can park with a full tank of GOOD mixed fuel instead of mostly empty, less chance of condensation. Mix in a good anti-gel product, that has been at room temp, it does not mix right after being in the tool box and been frozen all night. Bump up fuel filter replacement intervals to account for possible questionable fuel sources.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:35 PM
JReinert
Senior User
Tofan, I did have an out of pocket for a vacuum pump ($800) and a Radiator ($1300). Don't get me wrong, I love this truck. But, I paid a lot for this and was hoping it would go 250K before I had to start putting a lot of money into it.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:39 PM
Fontana
Senior User
Originally Posted by lbersude
Going to -15 here so it's the first time to plug in the 2011. See how it goes! Today pulled in the drive and plenty of drifted snow, switched to 4 wheel and the "check 4 wheel drive" message came up. Truck did not completely go in to 4 wheel. After I got pulled it was fine, in and out with no issue. Frozen? Thoughts? Thanks

2011 f-250 crew cab lariat, special edition seats.
58,000 miles 0 issues. Great truck!
No that was the system knowing you were on pavement. Quick cure is put it in 4x4 low. Next start up the message will be gone.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:41 PM
Fontana
Senior User
BTW it's 11 degrees. I plugged it in for good measure.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:48 PM
Romeo Scorpion
Senior User
-18 here right now and it started right up. I have to confess though that my reason for starting it was to get it closer to an AC outlet so that I could plug it in. Not sure how cold it's going to get here tonight.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:35 AM
macdiesell69
New User
Was -20 to -30 here in Maine for 4-5 days in a row never plugged in and used remote start and worked everyday with no issues. I have been using the power services winter fuel additiive and keeping my tank full. I think i will start plugging in when its this cold though.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:31 AM
lbersude
Freshman User
Smile -15 and it fired up like it was warm!

-15 today plugged in all night and it started great! The message about driving came on and had a 25 second countdown till you could drive. Is it normal for the idle to be at about 1000 rpm when this cold even when the truck is normal operating temp?

2011 F-250 white crew cab special edition seats

Old 01-07-2014, 09:38 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by lbersude
-15 today plugged in all night and it started great! The message about driving came on and had a 25 second countdown till you could drive. Is it normal for the idle to be at about 1000 rpm when this cold even when the truck is normal operating temp?

2011 F-250 white crew cab special edition seats
Yes, it's normal. It high idles in an attempt to keep it warm at that temp.

Quick Reply: Cold start capability