Another Battery post !!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 12:10 AM
sand_fiend
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Another Battery post !!!

LOL..

well yesterday.. my truck almost didn't start.
I drove it for a few miles and it started fine the rest of the day.

well this afternoon it almost didn't start again after sitting over night. it turned over Very slow and just started before the starter stopped turning..

The truck ran bad until the battery's charged back up.
I knew last year, under a load test they were only about 70%.

So, What is your guys suggestions on battery's for these trucks ?
Cranking amps ?
Motorcraft or other ?

thx Phil

Old 08-09-2013, 01:09 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Make sure your alternator is good first before you buy two new batteries.

Stewart

Old 08-09-2013, 01:54 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Like Stewart said check your alternator first. A bad alternator will kill fresh batteries.

Other then that I have had good luck with Interstate. I did have one set replaced but it was free. In fact they offered i didn't even know they were covered.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:02 AM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I use high cca batteries from Autozone. 8 year batteries with 3 year over-the-counter free replacement.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:21 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,108 Likes on 2,168 Posts
i use the kirkland batteries from costco. $89 each for group 65 885 CCA
the ones in my 88 and crown vic are 5 years old now and still test 100%, the ones in the 02 are 3 years old now and still test 100%.
any other brand i have ever used never lasted more than 2 years

Old 08-09-2013, 09:08 AM
USMCJosh
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interstate or Optima. Highest CCA rating you can get that will fit in your battery trays. And check the alternator output first.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:49 AM
Dieselgrowl
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like everyone else has said, check alternator first. I had 2 people tell me my batteries were bad, popped the alternator out (takes less than 5 minutes) took to autozone and they bench tested it. Failed all the tests.
New alternator and the truck starts like a champ

Old 08-09-2013, 12:07 PM
MTalley
More Turbo

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Check the water level, too. I noticed my two year old batteries seemed to be cranking the truck a little slower than normal. Bought some distilled water, topped off all 12 cells (6 per battery) and after a couple drives, it cranks more normal.

(The advantage of driving a rental car the last four weeks while my wife has been driving the truck for the most part - everything sounds new or different).

Old 08-09-2013, 12:11 PM
thomabb
Cargo Master
I bought 885cca "Duracell" batteries from Sam's Club. 3 year warranty and only $89 each. One year in and running strong.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:56 PM
Kdr358
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do not use OPTIMA, they are junk. I had two yellow tops go bad in my excursion within 2 years of manufacture date. They do not hold up in diesels due to the vibration of the motor. They are not the quality they used to be, made in Mexico now. I have two Kirkland batteries in mine now and it seems to start smoother. Die-hard platinum's are good as well as interstate. I would go with Auto-zoo or a large chain so replacement is hassle free. Pretty much every town has either an AZ or Advance Auto Parts.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:21 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Kirkland's here, also.

Pop

Old 08-09-2013, 02:33 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
Duralast

I have a couple of Duralast Golds from AZ. 3 year free replacement and like Kdr358 said there is an Azone every where. Had them checked a couple of days ago because i was having sluggish start problems. They wanted to test with the little hand held tester but I had them put them on the full load tester to make sure they weren't breaking down under a load. Both tested 100% and they are 2 years old. Turns out my starter was shot. Sure acted like weak batteries as it would turn over slow till cranking. Spins right up with the new one.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:55 PM
MTalley
More Turbo

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AllaboutMPG
I have a couple of Duralast Golds from AZ. 3 year free replacement and like Kdr358 said there is an Azone every where. Had them checked a couple of days ago because i was having sluggish start problems. They wanted to test with the little hand held tester but I had them put them on the full load tester to make sure they weren't breaking down under a load. Both tested 100% and they are 2 years old. Turns out my starter was shot. Sure acted like weak batteries as it would turn over slow till cranking. Spins right up with the new one.
Interesting. I'll keep an ear out on mine. I, too, have two year old AZ golds. Could be I may be due for a starter soon (though the water top-off seemed to have cleared things up a bit).

Old 08-09-2013, 04:41 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Kdr358
Do not use OPTIMA, they are junk. I had two yellow tops go bad in my excursion within 2 years of manufacture date. They do not hold up in diesels due to the vibration of the motor. They are not the quality they used to be, made in Mexico now. I have two Kirkland batteries in mine now and it seems to start smoother. Die-hard platinum's are good as well as interstate. I would go with Auto-zoo or a large chain so replacement is hassle free. Pretty much every town has either an AZ or Advance Auto Parts.
X2!! I had 2 sets... Not two battery's....two sets of battery's both swelled up within a couple months and wouldn't hold charge. Autozone wouldn't replace them the last time so I contacted optima they basically told me to GFY.

Do keep in mind there is not a problem with the electrical system in my truck either.

I'm running interstates now and haven't had them long but so far so good. You want at least 850 cca I believe it is. I have an 8 year warantee I think it is... That in itself is worth it to me.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:56 PM
sand_fiend
Laughing Gas
Alt is good. I have had the truck now for 7 years now. It was a used 02 truck with 50K when i bought it. I have never touched the battery's. I did a load test at the beginning of last year and they were at about 72%. I had to replace the alt at that time because it went bad. First morning start is and very slow and after i drive it, it will spin the starter fine and fast the rest of the day.. So i guess im going to costco

Quick Reply: Another Battery post !!!