Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decisions galore. Need help from the experienced! Should I??

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 08:21 AM
HokieHiVPI
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ok, thanks for the help so far. Next up: aftermarket engine mods... should I just steer away from any that have them? I feel like I've read that before here.

I've seen some Excursions that have full Banks kits, gauges, fuel chips, tuners, K&N filters, methane kits, etc. To me that screams "run away" but if I'm missing something, please let me know.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:46 AM
jeeplj8
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like you are settled on the 6.0. Great engine for many people, but you need to know what you are getting. I would not buy unless you have the ability to put a scanner on it and test drive it. Look at the delta between the ECT (engine coolant temp) and EOT (engine oil temp) while running it down the road highway cruise for a while. It should be around 10, no more than 15. 15 indicates possible oil cooler failure.

Next look at FICM voltage. if it is low, then it is bad. they are either bad or good, no in between.

I just got rid of my 03 6.0. It was a great truck for our family, and had 219K on it when I traded it. It never had a major mechanical repair. There are good 6.0's out there.

To address a couple of your questions on differences: (most of these are minor)
Ford begin using IR headsets for the factory DVD somewhere in 04. not all 04's have them, but all 05's do.
The Ex got the end of the production line on diesel engines, so they split the year in 03, with many early 04's getting the 03 engine. To the best of my knowledge, no 05 has the actual 05 6.0 (there are several differences). ALL of them have the coolant problem.
The 05 sheet metal is different and looks much nicer, but if you are going to swap an 08 front end on it, might as well get the less expensive 04.
I have seen several 05 EB's and the leather was a different color. No idea why. The dash was black instead of tan, again no idea why.

I would not buy any diesel truck that has been tuned, chipped or modified in anyway unless I personally knew the person who did it and every thing they did to it, and then I would adjust price accordingly. I truly believe you should NOT modify a 6.0 in any way UNTIL you have bulletproofed it. Of course, I did an exhaust on mine, so go figure.

I would simply take whichever one has the least mileage on it and a clean service history.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:18 PM
HokieHiVPI
More Turbo
Originally Posted by jeeplj8
sounds like you are settled on the 6.0. Great engine for many people, but you need to know what you are getting. I would not buy unless you have the ability to put a scanner on it and test drive it. Look at the delta between the ECT (engine coolant temp) and EOT (engine oil temp) while running it down the road highway cruise for a while. It should be around 10, no more than 15. 15 indicates possible oil cooler failure.

Next look at FICM voltage. if it is low, then it is bad. they are either bad or good, no in between.

I just got rid of my 03 6.0. It was a great truck for our family, and had 219K on it when I traded it. It never had a major mechanical repair. There are good 6.0's out there.

To address a couple of your questions on differences: (most of these are minor)
Ford begin using IR headsets for the factory DVD somewhere in 04. not all 04's have them, but all 05's do.
The Ex got the end of the production line on diesel engines, so they split the year in 03, with many early 04's getting the 03 engine. To the best of my knowledge, no 05 has the actual 05 6.0 (there are several differences). ALL of them have the coolant problem.
The 05 sheet metal is different and looks much nicer, but if you are going to swap an 08 front end on it, might as well get the less expensive 04.
I have seen several 05 EB's and the leather was a different color. No idea why. The dash was black instead of tan, again no idea why.

I would not buy any diesel truck that has been tuned, chipped or modified in anyway unless I personally knew the person who did it and every thing they did to it, and then I would adjust price accordingly. I truly believe you should NOT modify a 6.0 in any way UNTIL you have bulletproofed it. Of course, I did an exhaust on mine, so go figure.

I would simply take whichever one has the least mileage on it and a clean service history.

Awesome info for sure, thank you. I'm on my way to give a cursory glance at an 04 and start the process of knowing what to look for. I agree about the modded engines, and that's why I asked... just wanted to make sure my thought process was sound on WHY I wanted to stay away.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:51 PM
HokieHiVPI
More Turbo
Oofa, just got back from the first one. I expected it to be a bit rough since it was the cheapest I'd been looking at, but it was destroyed. I knew before I even got out of my truck that this wouldn't be the one. Rusted front bumper, hadn't been washed in months, caked on brake dust from years of neglect, just a total crap box. The seats were torn apart something awful, and when I popped the hood, the first thing I saw was crusty white coolant running off the degass bottle. I mean it looked like a statue in Central Park... just covered. I didn't even turn the engine over... thanked him and was back in my truck.

Onward and upward.

Oh, sidenote: I got my Scangauge II in today. I hooked it up to my Expy and found where the Water temp is, but couldn't find one for oil temp... is that a custom job?

Old 05-03-2013, 04:55 PM
jeeplj8
Senior User
Originally Posted by HokieHiVPI
Oofa, just got back from the first one. I expected it to be a bit rough since it was the cheapest I'd been looking at, but it was destroyed. I knew before I even got out of my truck that this wouldn't be the one. Rusted front bumper, hadn't been washed in months, caked on brake dust from years of neglect, just a total crap box. The seats were torn apart something awful, and when I popped the hood, the first thing I saw was crusty white coolant running off the degass bottle. I mean it looked like a statue in Central Park... just covered. I didn't even turn the engine over... thanked him and was back in my truck.

Onward and upward.

Oh, sidenote: I got my Scangauge II in today. I hooked it up to my Expy and found where the Water temp is, but couldn't find one for oil temp... is that a custom job?
That may not be a PID on the gas motor. I have never used scanguage but pretty sure they monitor both.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:43 PM
fordboy67
Cargo Master
I also went from an Expy to my Excursion and have not regretted it. I LOVE my X. Sure, I miss the maneuverability of the Expy, but pulling my TT is AWESOME with the X. As far as getting the 6.0 diesel, I'd personally try to find an older one with a 7.3 instead. (I'm not a diesel fan, more V10, but Father-in-law had better luck with his 7.3 over his 6.0). Good luck!

Old 05-03-2013, 07:55 PM
HokieHiVPI
More Turbo
Originally Posted by fordboy67
I also went from an Expy to my Excursion and have not regretted it. I LOVE my X. Sure, I miss the maneuverability of the Expy, but pulling my TT is AWESOME with the X. As far as getting the 6.0 diesel, I'd personally try to find an older one with a 7.3 instead. (I'm not a diesel fan, more V10, but Father-in-law had better luck with his 7.3 over his 6.0). Good luck!
Yeah, my buddy has an 02 with the 7.3 and has has absolutely zero issues with it. However, it sounds like a Mack truck (loud) and the 6.0 gets better gas mileage... plus I'm looking for the latest model I can get... it's already tough going backwards in technology and comfort from an 07 to an 05, ha. I'm hoping that the grin on my face every time I start it more than makes up for it.

There ARE a few 02s around here with the 7.3s... I may look at them a little as well.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:44 PM
HokieHiVPI
More Turbo
Good lord, what an experience this is shaping up to be, ha. I've seen four total now... one was a totally thrashed 04 EB 4x4 that was selling for $12,000... wasn't worth 9.

Then I saw an 05 EB 4x4 that didn't have a stitch of carpet in it, and, instead, had rubber floor matting throughout. I drove it about 10 miles and had a tough time keeping it on the road. It was swaying all over the place and holy crap was it loud. It had a 5" DC sports exhaust that was whisper quiet, but the engine itself was unbearable. Add those three gems up and toss in a salesman that was a bit of a douche, and I walked away from that one.

Next up was an 01 EB 4x4 with the 7.3. It sounded good and ran fine, but had 180k on the clock and the interior showed it. They had a price of 15k to boot.

Lastly, tonight I saw another 04 EB 4x4. This one has all the service records for every oil change and every service. Has had the FICM already replaced, the EGR cooler replaced and has 125k. At 118, Ford did a comprehensive test and stated that there was no reason to be concerned about the head gaskets. He's taking it in on monday to have the oil changed and I asked that he have them run IDS and get an Oasis report on it.

I've learned all about X-gauge codes and will be programming my Scangauge tomorrow for all the pertinent codes.

Things are looking up, boys!

Old 05-04-2013, 08:34 PM
jdw1
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow, I can't imagine looking for a clean vehicle, I just amazes me how some people think they have a clean vehicle and it is completely trashed!
Well good Luck with the hunt!

Old 05-06-2013, 08:54 AM
jeeplj8
Senior User
clean ones are out there. From the description of the ones you were looking at, the 03 I just traded with 218 on it would have been a peach!!

Old 05-06-2013, 09:41 AM
HokieHiVPI
More Turbo
Yeah, it's been fun to say the least. Some are trashed, while others are clean, but the owners (or dealers) think they're worth their weight in gold.

Frightening to see so many at or around $30k. Shaking my head for sure... I'm looking to be around 15-17. They're out there... just gotta keep on looking.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:01 AM
jeeplj8
Senior User
from what I have seen around here - dealers are getting mid-20's for any clean diesel Excursion under 100K miles. Several are getting close to 30 for a clean 7.3 or late 05.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:34 AM
HokieHiVPI
More Turbo
Yeah, I suppose they're getting that here too, because they aren't budging on price. I'm focused on an 04 EB 4x4 with 125k miles in excellent condition for $17k. It's at the dealer right now getting the oil changed and I talked to the service manager, who's going to have his diesel guy go over the truck for me.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:19 PM
HokieHiVPI
More Turbo
Ok, we're getting close! I'm working on an 04 EB 4x4. Every service record is in my hands and they've all been done at Ford dealerships. Lots of warranty repairs and a few big things already completed... just working through a few last questions. I started a new thread in the 6.0 subforum here.

[

It makes my 07 Expedition EL look like a Geo Tracker!

Old 05-10-2013, 06:22 PM
HokieHiVPI
More Turbo
Well, we shook hands at $15,500 today. I'm very happy and will be making the appointment to do the oil cooler/egr delete/programming early next week!

Thanks for the help fellas.

Quick Reply: Decisions galore. Need help from the experienced! Should I??