Sponsored by: Moser

Steering Shaft & Tilt Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 11:11 PM
MikeGV
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Shaft & Tilt Wheel

If I hadn't waited til today to order a CDROM shop manual I could answer some of these questions myself

I already know that these trucks are generally to have sloppy steering

I have a 78 F150 2wd with tilt wheel with a C6. If I grab the shaft above the rag joint I can watch the steering wheel through the windshield and see that there appears to be an inch or so of play in the steering column.

The front end seems good from the new steering box down to the wheels and I can let go of the wheel and it tracks straight, but there is about 2" of play at the steering wheel. I may be exaggerating some. I am going to replace the rag joint even though it seems ok when I twist above/below it. I think I am getting most of the play in my steering shaft.

1. I know lots of people have aftermarket steering shafts. Is it possible to rebuild the joints / OEM shafts? It seems like most of the people who replace the shafts in their truck are those that didn't originally have PS or those with 4x4s.
2. When OEM steering shafts were/are new do they have play in them? I am guessing the U-Joint that allows for tilt wheel wears out. Sometimes I wonder how good this steering actually was right from the dealer when the truck was new and wonder if I should leave well enough alone, but 1-2" at the wheel is way more than my 91 which is pretty similar.

3. How many universal joints are inside of the tilt wheel columns on a truck like mine, from steering wheel to rag joint? Is the tilt wheel joint replaceable and can it be replaced without taking the entire column out of the truck?

4. Are the factory shafts at the tilt portion of column splined or are they even replaceable? I have seen U-Joint repair kits at JBG etc. Has anyone used one?

5. If it is possible to just rebuild the existing shaft, what other parts are recommended? I am going to do the rag joint if I have to take the steering shaft out, even though it seems cool when I test it. I have read about an upper and lower bearing here on the forum.

Old 02-06-2005, 01:08 AM
GeneStoner
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2wd steering shafts are one piece. Splined on one end for the steering wheel, solid down to the next set of splines, which interface with the flange that holds the rag joint. The 4wd shafts have U-joints.

Old 02-06-2005, 12:51 PM
fordfury469
Elder User
i would tighten up your steering box.i had sloopy steering in my 79 4x4 and adjusted the box a little and it had no slop then.

Old 02-06-2005, 01:13 PM
hawkrod
Elder User
Was the engine running? If the engine was off it sounds as though you have a very tight steering box. The power steering sytem on a Ford truck uses a spring shaft so the wheel will turn before applying a load to the box. This is done to allow the hydraulics to do the work. Hawkrod

Old 02-06-2005, 08:02 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
1. I know lots of people have aftermarket steering shafts. Is it possible to rebuild the joints / OEM shafts?

2. When OEM steering shafts were/are new do they have play in them?
Not as far as I know

I am guessing the U-Joint that allows for tilt wheel wears out.
Eventually

3. How many universal joints are inside of the tilt wheel columns on a truck like mine, from steering wheel to rag joint?
TWO

Is the tilt wheel joint replaceable
YES

and can it be replaced without taking the entire column out of the truck?
NO

4. Are the factory shafts at the tilt portion of column splined
NO

or are they even replaceable?
I doubt it

I have seen U-Joint repair kits at JBG etc. Has anyone used one?
NO

5. If it is possible to just rebuild the existing shaft, what other parts are recommended?
Sure ... With Less Used parts

I am going to do the rag joint if I have to take the steering shaft out, even though it seems cool when I test it. I have read about an upper and lower bearing here on the forum.

Here is a blow up of the column

Old 10-05-2008, 01:28 PM
75supercamper
New User
I have a 75 F350 that I want to convert to tilt. I have a column from a 78/79 (don't know which) What is needed for this project? Is the rag joint the same? the column I have is splinned at the base. What kind of joint do I need, and what am I looking at for wiring?