1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 terrastar 4x4 specs .... here they are

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 12:04 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by A/Ox4
Mmm, beautiful now that Ford has discontinued the Econoline I hope that the depts dont start using chevys, I HATE them with a passion. Everything on them sucks. I'm hoping the industry tries different options and settles on F-Series as the standard.
Looks like the E series is back. My 2013 fleet brochure shows an E-250 cargo van. Engine choices are 4.6 or 5.4 gasoline engine.
The E-350 passenger wagon and E-450 cutaway comes with a choice of the 5.4 or 6.8 gas engine.

Originally Posted by ParamountTrucks
The terrastar's suck big time gents. Because they dont want to adopt the DEF system, they run a shyat load of egr through the motors, causing awful fuel mileage.

6.7L Powerstroke FTW!

P.S: They are a light duty truck and are in the F550 class, not a F650.
Cummins Emissions Solutions will supply selective catalytic reduction aftertreatment equipment for Navistar diesels starting early next year. In addition, Navistar will begin buying Cummins ISX15 with SCR to replace it's own MaxxForce 15.

Light Duty trucks are classified as class 1-3 trucks. Class 2A trucks are typically 'light duty' while class 2B trucks are often called 'light heavy duty'.
Medium Duty trucks are classified as 4-6 class. The TerraStar is in this group.
Heavy Duty Trucks are classified as class 7-8 trucks.

Here is a link with more details.
Truck Classifications | Light vs Medium vs Heavy Duty

Old 11-26-2012, 12:25 PM
ParamountTrucks
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake
Looks like the E series is back. My 2013 fleet brochure shows an E-250 cargo van. Engine choices are 4.6 or 5.4 gasoline engine.
The E-350 passenger wagon and E-450 cutaway comes with a choice of the 5.4 or 6.8 gas engine.

Cummins Emissions Solutions will supply selective catalytic reduction aftertreatment equipment for Navistar diesels starting early next year. In addition, Navistar will begin buying Cummins ISX15 with SCR to replace it's own MaxxForce 15.

Light Duty trucks are classified as class 1-3 trucks. Class 2A trucks are typically 'light duty' while class 2B trucks are often called 'light heavy duty'.
Medium Duty trucks are classified as 4-6 class. The TerraStar is in this group.
Heavy Duty Trucks are classified as class 7-8 trucks.

Here is a link with more details.
Truck Classifications | Light vs Medium vs Heavy Duty
Good to hear that you'll be able to get a Cummins in an International!

I always thought Medium duty was 25,000gvw and up. Guess I'm wrong. I stand corrected!

Old 11-26-2012, 12:42 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Good to hear that you'll be able to get a Cummins in an International!
If I understand the press release correctly...only the 15 liter engines will be the Cummins version. The other engine options will still be a Navistar engine but will have the Cummins SCR system. Simply put, Cummins has come to the rescue and agreed to provide Navistar a solution to comply with current emissions standards since it became obvious that Navistar's attempt at strictly in-cylinder (EGR) approach wasn't going to succeed.

If I was to hazard a guess...I bet this was the primary reason why Ford stopped using Navistar engines after 2010. I know both sides sued each other but in the end it still is a business and comes down to the bottom line. Ford would probably have stayed with Navistar engines if they had SCR as long as the profit margin remained attractive.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:28 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If I understand the press release correctly...only the 15 liter engines will be the Cummins version. The other engine options will still be a Navistar engine but will have the Cummins SCR system. Simply put, Cummins has come to the rescue and agreed to provide Navistar a solution to comply with current emissions standards since it became obvious that Navistar's attempt at strictly in-cylinder (EGR) approach wasn't going to succeed.

If I was to hazard a guess...I bet this was the primary reason why Ford stopped using Navistar engines after 2010. I know both sides sued each other but in the end it still is a business and comes down to the bottom line. Ford would probably have stayed with Navistar engines if they had SCR as long as the profit margin remained attractive.
Yes I don't know why they tried so hard to avoid aftertreatment, they avoided it like the plague....

Old 11-26-2012, 04:32 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The terrastar's suck big time gents. Because they dont want to adopt the DEF system, they run a shyat load of egr through the motors, causing awful fuel mileage.

6.7L Powerstroke FTW!

P.S: They are a light duty truck and are in the F550 class, not a F650.
They are hard on fuel like the ford 6.4.
Not for much longer though..

They are not light duty, they are a "mini" MD truck, and are very beefy and heavey duty.

The cabs are thicker metal than pickup trucks, the bumpers are powder coated, not painted with cheap chrome. etc....

Old 11-26-2012, 05:07 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I thought 2013 was the last year for the Eseries. The diesel option ended in 2010 and a some 6.8L ambulances were bought. They are hated by all and passed from region to region because no one wants to keep them.

I'm not a V10 hater, but they dont do well in an ambulance at all.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:21 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

I thought 2013 was the last year for the Eseries. ...
You may be correct. We don't have any use for the E series ourselves, I just saw them in our '13 Ford Fleet Guide. I wonder why the V10 hasn't been well received in the E series....they do just fine in our F series models.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:24 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

You may be correct. We don't have any use for the E series ourselves, I just saw them in our '13 Ford Fleet Guide. I wonder why the V10 hasn't been well received in the E series....they do just fine in our F series models.
Well, they are probably detuned, just like the diesels. The 6.0L in the E-Series is rated less than my 7.3L because they have no room to breath and cooling in the vans is terrible, so they detune it to keep things in check. Stuffing a 6.8L V10 under the hood probably isnt helping. Also, (treading in dangerous waters) the V10 doesnt have as much "OOMPH" in the seat of the pants that the diesel offers and that OOMPH is good to have when you are driving around a 12-15,000lb ambulance. Yes. I said that right. 15,000lbs for the modular ambulances I pictured above.

And there are the little things too.. like brakes. They seem to work better with hydroboost than vacuum on these heavy rigs.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 11-26-2012, 05:25 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here in PA my truck with a GVWR of 11,200lbs. needs a class 5 sticker. Anything over 10k GVW is considered medium duty. It costs $243 a year, not bad compared to some other states.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:29 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Well, they are probably detuned, just like the diesels. The 6.0L in the E-Series is rated less than my 7.3L because they have no room to breath and cooling in the vans is terrible, so they detune it to keep things in check. Stuffing a 6.8L V10 under the hood probably isnt helping. Also, (treading in dangerous waters) the V10 doesnt have as much "OOMPH" in the seat of the pants that the diesel offers and that OOMPH is good to have when you are driving around a 12-14,000lb ambulance. Yes. I said that right. 14,000lbs for the modular ambulances I pictured above.

And there are the little things too.. like brakes. They seem to work better with hydroboost than vacuum on these heavy rigs.
Sounds plausible. Our trucks weight 14,500 lbs with the service body and bucket boom and the V10 engines move them around pretty good. If the van engines have less power than I can see why folks may not like driving them around very much...

Old 11-26-2012, 05:31 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Sounds plausible. Our trucks weight 14,500 lbs with the service body and bucket boom and the V10 engines move them around pretty good. If the van engines have less power than I can see why folks may not like driving them around very much...
Does the V10 offer a dual alternator option? I know all of the diesels we have are dual alternator and even at idle we can drain the batteries if we dont push the parking brake in, which enables high idle.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:34 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Does the V10 offer a dual alternator option?
Not that I am aware of...

Old 11-26-2012, 05:35 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Not that I am aware of...
That small thing could easily be a disqualifier with the amount of stuff we have running in the back.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:40 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by parkland
An XL super duty doesn't look all that cool either, throw a little bling at it
Personally I can't find much beauty with the new SD models at any trim level...

Here is a LoneStar with a little bling....I kinda like this truck.
(I wonder if the dealership sold this one yet? It has been sitting on the lot for a while now...)

Attached Images   
Old 11-26-2012, 05:41 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

I agree. Dont love the new SD all that much... I'm happy with my 05 nose.

Quick Reply: 2013 terrastar 4x4 specs .... here they are