Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1988 F250 460 EFI Rebuild Project

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 03:51 PM
Finger__Rachet
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, to followup, everything is at the machine shop (Spreen Racing in Boerne Tx). I talked to Greg Spreen, the owner, and we reviewed the options of doing a stock vs a performance uptick. We elected to do pretty much what the Mad Porter (Scotty from reInCarnation) outlined:

Headers and free breathing exhaust

Low restriction air intake

180 degree t stat.

Computer compatable cam change. We use the 207/213 voodoo ground on a 113 lobe sep. This will pass Ca emissions. Factory double roller timing set is not retarded.

Port factory intake which will increase flow significantly

Budget ported cylinder heads with 2.11" intakes and std exhaust as well as better valve springs and topping the guides. The EFI castings have good exhaust ports and somewhat limited intakes especially the E7TE castings.

Deck heads .030" to get static c/r up to 9 to 1 with the stock replacement efi pistons.

Adjustable fuel pressure regulator to allow richer WOT operation.

piggy back chip for the ecm for additional power via more agressive timing tables and greater injector pulse width. (optional)
except he has a preference for Comp Cams and was not sure about 113, was thinking either 112 or 114. And he is wanting to upgrade the pistons. Also plan to deck the block.

No pictures or anything. Just wanted to get this update out there. I probably won't have an update for a while.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:18 AM
Finger__Rachet
Senior User
I got the bottom end from Spreen on Wednesday and I'm going to start rebuilding the lower/bottom end today. Here's some updated photos:

Old 11-23-2012, 05:37 PM
Finger__Rachet
Senior User
Crankshaft, camshaft and pistons installed. All tolerances and clearances were within specs so I'm pleased by the machine shop work.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:25 AM
Artyoff
New User
I am working through your posts...very motivational. I have an 89 F-250 and am contemplating rebuilding it but it is good for now. Pulls my 8k lbs 5th wheel well. A little slow up the hills but I am in no hurry.

Quick question though...how hard is it to put in a wiring harness? I was going to take it down to the base hobby shop and see if I could do it with some help from one of the staff workers there. Whoever had the truck before me has manipulated it and it isn't stock wiring...the idiot put in an amplifier of some type because he bi-passed wires at various places. Now I have a short in the wire that always makes my blinkers not work.

Or, do I just say, "screw it," and take it in to a reputable repair shop that is good with this sort of thing? Please advise.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:25 AM
Finger__Rachet
Senior User
I'm kind of a rookie. This is my first solo engine rebuild. I've done one other engine in my son's toyota 4x4 pickup but it was with a guy who is a certified mechanic. I've only done mechanical stuff (rebuild transmission, replace stuff, brakes, etc) and haven't ever attempted electrical stuff. I plan to get to it but one step at a time. My truck needs something and it might be electrical to fix the dual tanks.

I recommend that you post a thread just on your question. I have the service manuals for an 88 so I probably have some diagrams that would help but I'm not sure what you'd need.

Thanks for the comment on my post. It's growing on me.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:49 PM
Artyoff
New User
Thanks, brother...will post it by itself for someone to potentially ring in with some recommendations. I am a hacker, too. At the hobby shop, I have changed starter..alternator...brake master cylinder, clutch cylinder, put in my 5th wheel electrical to the rear end and installed an electrical J-box with some "overwatch" help in the event I was going to screw it up! Also dropped the U-joint so I had the shaft re-spun and installed it myself. I have never been involved in mechanical anything (since my father is a diesel mechanic who lives a long way from where I am stationed) but I, too, am finding a lot of joy (and PAIN) in this p/u. Maybe this is why sites like this are so important...they are like an AA forum for the addicted! LOL. Have a great weekend!

Mike

Old 07-07-2013, 11:54 AM
Finger__Rachet
Senior User
Took a few months off but I'm back at it this weekend. Installed the oil pan, timing chain cover, heads, lifters, push rods and rocker arms. Having trouble trying to determine if my rocker arms have the right initial load. Anyone know the steps to checking this? As a reminder, I had the heads rebuilt and have a performance cam.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:22 AM
Finger__Rachet
Senior User
Wow, I'm revisiting my thread here and realizing how much time has passed since I've done much to this. I have the intake manifold attached and I'm ready to prime the oil pump and put the distributor on. I have a question though, since I'm moving slow, does should I hold off on the priming of the oil pump until I'm closer to dropping it in and starting it? My books say this is the next step but I'm guessing that I'm 4-5 weeks away from dropping it in the truck.

And the next question and about the gas in the tank. It's almost 2 years old at this point. I'm assuming that I need to drain and flush the lines before running gas into my new engine. How do you do that?

Old 04-26-2014, 11:43 AM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd say prime it now. It will keep things from rusting on the inside, keep lifters lubed and not stick from potential rust. You've taken quite a break on this project if you last worked on it last July.
Old gas isn't really that big of an issue, I would put some seafoam in the tank and top it off with fresh stuff, but I do not recommend driving it hard until you get 100% fresh gas in it. If you're worried about the ethanol fuel and phase separation, then your best bet would be to siphon the gas out and then burn it in your other vehicles. A little bit of old gases and going heard anything, top it off running a bit and then change your fuel filter run it some more and call it a day.

Old 04-26-2014, 01:25 PM
Finger__Rachet
Senior User
Thanks for the insight. Onward...

Old 04-26-2014, 03:01 PM
whalebus2112
Senior User
I just finished the exact same build last week and cranked it on Wed. I assume you used assembly lube on all the bearings so prime the pump and turn the crank some and prime again. turn the crank fully over 2 times so you are back at tdc then you will be fine. The pump will stay primed.

Also I noticed that you tore the top end down to remove it. Install every thing on the motor even the accessories and brackets and all the top end stuff except for the Throttle bodies and mount.
You can just unplug the wiring harness and wire the intake stuff up on the stand and replace the crappy vacuum lines and throw the airpump stuff in the trash. It really cleans up the engine bay

Old 04-27-2014, 06:02 PM
Finger__Rachet
Senior User
Yes I used assembly lube. Thanks for the advice on the build out while on the stand. I was mentally debating that aspect. I did not know that I could disconnect the wiring harness somewhere and wire it up though. Where do you disco that?

Old 04-27-2014, 07:16 PM
whalebus2112
Senior User
The harness connects behind the air filter towards the fire wall. It has a 10 mm bolt that runs in threw the connector from the fire wall side. going back in ,all you should have to hook up is the fuel lines and the throttle body horn and the vacuum res. on the passenger side and fan

Old 05-06-2014, 07:35 PM
Finger__Rachet
Senior User
I am about the put the distributor back on and I am not sure how to line up it up. I think I marked the nbr 1 alignment but my intake was cleaned by my machine shop and that is long gone. Do you have any suggestions?

Old 05-06-2014, 08:09 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ummm.... Same way you're supposed to.... Bring cyl 1 to tdc with both valves shut (power stroke) and put distributor in with rotor pointing to number 1 plug wire of dist cap.
No one cares what mark you made on intake or whatever, new timing parts mean that the only thing of value are timing marks on balancer (if outer ring hasn't rotated) and pointer of timing cover. Even if you don't have those you can still do it.

Quick Reply: 1988 F250 460 EFI Rebuild Project