Montana Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Sailor_Roy

Summer Is Here, Who Has The Beer? Official MT June Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 07:23 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Okay...still looking at Glacier to Yellowstone...

How is rt. 35 which runs next to Flathead lake?

I'd then pick up US93 in Polson and run that south to hit 90...then hit 287...but I do want to drop down into Idaho...

Looks like I'll have to deal with Targhee pass...but from what I can see on-line...that pass only goes to ~7000'...and I think you are already at at least 6000' in that region...aren't you?...

There doesn't seem to be any "direct" way from Glacier to Yellowstone...I do want to try and see some of the beauty in Montana but I also want to make decent time...

The trip from Glacier to Yellowstone looks to be ~450 miles...hopefully I can average 50mph...then it is a 9 hour day...

Old 06-21-2012, 08:36 AM
jredline1984
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Running behind today MT, have a good one!

Old 06-21-2012, 08:42 AM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good morning Montana! Happy almost-Friday!

Originally Posted by X_Hemi_Guy
I'd love to stop in Great Falls and make Corey buy...but I've got a LOOONG day that day from Medora ND...I'm just wanting to get to the West Glacier KOA and set up camp and enjoy a cold one or two!!!...
Just have Corey meet you at your fuel stop with a pizza. Problem solved.

Originally Posted by Sailor_Roy
When in Glacier...... There is the Going-to-the-Sun road. A MUST see. I would recommend taking the park little buses to make that tour. You'll see more, won't have a heart attack as you are driving your vehicle and realize you are 12" from a 2000ft cliff on one side and are rubbing mirrors with the car on the other side. Done both.... Bus is best!!
If you are thinking about taking the bus tour, you'd better check now for seats. They filled up two months ago for the days we are going to be there.

My favorite route to Yellowstone when we lived in Helena was to take US287 all the way to West Yellowtone, MT. If you come down from Glacier and hit I90 by Missoula, you can go east and take 287 south at Three Forks. Also, if you have time, about 20 miles west of Ennis, MT is Virginia City... a really cool old west town that is well preserved from it's heyday in the 1800's.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:48 AM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Received 227 Likes on 184 Posts
Good morning Montana, welcome to the first full day of summer!!

Old 06-21-2012, 09:15 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Originally Posted by cowboywanabe
Good morning Montana! Happy almost-Friday!

Just have Corey meet you at your fuel stop with a pizza. Problem solved.

If you are thinking about taking the bus tour, you'd better check now for seats. They filled up two months ago for the days we are going to be there.

My favorite route to Yellowstone when we lived in Helena was to take US287 all the way to West Yellowtone, MT. If you come down from Glacier and hit I90 by Missoula, you can go east and take 287 south at Three Forks. Also, if you have time, about 20 miles west of Ennis, MT is Virginia City... a really cool old west town that is well preserved from it's heyday in the 1800's.
When I get off I-90...and onto 287...looks like Virginia City will be to the west...

That day we'll be covering about 450 miles to Yellowstone pulling the camper...leaving Glacier at 8am...puts us at camp in Yellowstone about 5pm...I guess we'll have to see if Virginia City is in the cards!

What I'm concerned about is diverting a litle bit on 87 to 20 to catch the tip of Idaho and then throwing in Targhee pass while pulling...I'll be pulling and have pulled so many dang passes while towing this 9000# trailer...Targhee doesn't look challenging at all...

Old 06-21-2012, 11:03 AM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 4,182 Likes on 1,657 Posts
Originally Posted by GIGGER
Good Thursday morning everyone, hope you have a great day.....

howdy Roy
Good Morning to my Fine Canadian Friend
Weather is forecasting 79F / 26C today......Nice

Old 06-21-2012, 11:16 AM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Okay...still looking at Glacier to Yellowstone...

How is rt. 35 which runs next to Flathead lake?

I'd then pick up US93 in Polson and run that south to hit 90...then hit 287...but I do want to drop down into Idaho...

Looks like I'll have to deal with Targhee pass...but from what I can see on-line...that pass only goes to ~7000'...and I think you are already at at least 6000' in that region...aren't you?...

There doesn't seem to be any "direct" way from Glacier to Yellowstone...I do want to try and see some of the beauty in Montana but I also want to make decent time...

The trip from Glacier to Yellowstone looks to be ~450 miles...hopefully I can average 50mph...then it is a 9 hour day...
The route you have should be nice for ya. Don't sweat the passes and curvey roads. Normal stuff around here. ** US93 ** Careful.... this is about the only choice, however, just stay sharp! A bunch of idiots try passing on the 2-lane sections when there is not enough room!! The sheriff and HwyPatrol do travel this road quite a bit.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:23 AM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

When I get off I-90...and onto 287...looks like Virginia City will be to the west...

That day we'll be covering about 450 miles to Yellowstone pulling the camper...leaving Glacier at 8am...puts us at camp in Yellowstone about 5pm...I guess we'll have to see if Virginia City is in the cards!

What I'm concerned about is diverting a litle bit on 87 to 20 to catch the tip of Idaho and then throwing in Targhee pass while pulling...I'll be pulling and have pulled so many dang passes while towing this 9000# trailer...Targhee doesn't look challenging at all...
You could stop by Pat's place and swap vehicals for the trip I'm sure he wouldn't mine.... What the hell..... ask for the Fuel Credit Card too

Old 06-21-2012, 11:25 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
THANKS Roy for all your help, advice and guidance!

Pulling passes and curvy roads doesn't bother me much at all...I've done a bunch of them even though it isn't normal driving in Indiana! ha-ha!

We'll probably drive the Road to the Sun...I've driven up roads that sound similar...plus I drove the Road to Hana on Maui...I know it can't be any worse than that!...LOL...

Going up Mt. Evans in Denver was fun...you go up to 14,200' on a PAVED road...lots of twists and turns and NO GUARD RAILS either!...

Note the altitude in this picture of my GPS I had with me at the time...

This one was taken still above 13K'!!!

Old 06-21-2012, 11:41 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Plus I did a little research last night...I really think I want to show my kids the hi-line region of Montana...afterall...isn't that "Montana" as people think of the BIG-SKY description?

Old 06-21-2012, 11:44 AM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

THANKS Roy for all your help, advice and guidance!

Pulling passes and curvy roads doesn't bother me much at all...I've done a bunch of them even though it isn't normal driving in Indiana! ha-ha!

We'll probably drive the Road to the Sun...I've driven up roads that sound similar...plus I drove the Road to Hana on Maui...I know it can't be any worse than that!...LOL...

Going up Mt. Evans in Denver was fun...you go up to 14,200' on a PAVED road...lots of twists and turns and NO GUARD RAILS either!...

Note the altitude in this picture of my GPS I had with me at the time...

This one was taken still above 13K'!!!

You are welcome Nice picture of the Crew.
The Swap thing was for Pat's benefit Wanted to see if I could get a Rise out of him.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:48 AM
79CAMOFORD
Postmaster
Originally Posted by im2tall33
Evening all...anyone still game for Saturday?
I am just not sure about the others!!

Old 06-21-2012, 11:58 AM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Plus I did a little research last night...I really think I want to show my kids the hi-line region of Montana...afterall...isn't that "Montana" as people think of the BIG-SKY description?
It is part of it. Montana is so large and has a wide variety of terrian and climates. The biggest difference is West of the Continental Divide and East of the Continental Divide. East is different than the central area and different than the west. I am sure there is not a wrong route to take.
Have Fun........

Old 06-21-2012, 11:59 AM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by 79CAMOFORD
I am just not sure about the others!!
I would like to make the trip. This weekend, I just can't

Old 06-21-2012, 12:07 PM
79CAMOFORD
Postmaster