1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

options for replacing brake line from dist block to rear soft hose?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 01:38 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
options for replacing brake line from dist block to rear soft hose?

I'm redoing the rear brakes on my truck. The long hard line that goes from the distribution block/prop valve under the cab all the way back to the soft line that goes to the axle is not only rusty, but has already had several of those "pinch" patch pieces put in. I'd really like to buy the stainless prebent line kit but my budget currently doesn't allow it, and I don't need the extra lines anyway.

It doesn't seem like the parts stores around here carry any premade lines that would be long enough. From my measurement, the piece will need to be at least 117".

I have a tube flaring tool that I used for putting some nuts on copper line that I had, but I'm not sure if that would be the right angle for auto brake line. I'd really like to do something that won't rust but I don't know of any options.

What have you guys done for yours?

Old 05-31-2012, 01:50 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Making your own line calls for the use a "double flaring" tool. It starts by making a "bubble" on the end, then converts it into the flare.
The pre-made straight lines already have the double flare, and can be bent to fit using the proper bending tools.
Many times, there is a factory installed union part way back. I figure it was used for 2 reasons, easier to install 2 shorter lines, and the same front 1/2 could be used regardless of wheelbase. This would be the cheapest route to go, but does involve a bit of effort on your part.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:39 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
my brother has a hydraulic tool that can do bubble flares, or any other flare, but he lives 4 hours away. I wish I could just get the stainless line for the rear, I can't believe they only sell the stuff in kits.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:50 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Perhaps you can find some premade stainless straight lines, and bend as needed? I'd think these were fairly easy to locate, especially in the "rust belt" where rusted out brake lines are very common.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:42 PM
brian1080
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just bought the coated brake line in a 25' coil from either advance or Orielly. I already have a double-flare tool (you can get them cheap or even possibly borrow one from the parts store) and reran all of my lines. The coil was cheap and I still have quite a bit left. You have to ask for it, and they still may not know about it, but they do sell it. It's better than buying two short lines and connecting them.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:41 PM
OldStyle
Rusty Roller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Quoted from Orielly: 3/16OD x 25ft roll is .85 per ft. or $22.95 a roll. And they said you can order it by the foot...

Line item is AGS and part # BLC325

Link: American Grease Stick BLC325 - Brake Line Coil | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Old 05-31-2012, 08:06 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
We don't have o reiley's here pretty sure they are somewhat regional.

But anyway, I know I can get coiled coated line. I don't really want to put coated line on it that would be a last resort. And I'd still have to borrow my brother's flaring tool, I don't think any of the local parts stores rent them. The ones to do double flares are quite expensive.

I haven't found any places selling stainless brake line in any variety (bulk or premade). I don't think its very common, if its available at all. I'm trying to check summit's website but they carry so much stuff and so many different kinds of stainless lines that its really hard to find anything.

one option is that my local napa advertises that they can make hydraulic lines and fittings, so maybe they will be able to help me out.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:15 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Summit Racing SUM-220236 - Summit Racing® Stainless Steel Fuel and Brake Hard Line - Overview - SummitRacing.com

I could do that if I could get the flaring tool. Maybe i should just try to borrow my brothers...

Old 05-31-2012, 08:29 PM
Stinky7-11
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hasteranger
We don't have o reiley's here pretty sure they are somewhat regional.

But anyway, I know I can get coiled coated line. I don't really want to put coated line on it that would be a last resort. And I'd still have to borrow my brother's flaring tool, I don't think any of the local parts stores rent them. The ones to do double flares are quite expensive.

I haven't found any places selling stainless brake line in any variety (bulk or premade). I don't think its very common, if its available at all. I'm trying to check summit's website but they carry so much stuff and so many different kinds of stainless lines that its really hard to find anything.

one option is that my local napa advertises that they can make hydraulic lines and fittings, so maybe they will be able to help me out.
Try going outside the box, we have a Tractor/Equiptment supply and they fab anything including auto a/c lines, brake lines inc flex s/s. Try to look one up in your area.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:54 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Here is a good article on tubing, talks about flaring stainless line and etc... I may end up getting a coil from summit and borrowing my brother's flarer, and reusing the stock fittings. New Page 1

Old 05-31-2012, 09:29 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm surprised Inline Tube or others wont sell you just that piece. Might be worth a phone call. I know one of mine was wrong and they sent out just the piece needed to correct the problem.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:32 PM
hillbillyk
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
just get the pre-flared straight line and make it work, then paint it, it will probably outlast the truck and is cheap. I have re-done a few trucks with this and it works great.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:58 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 964 Likes on 871 Posts
Most of your NAPA stores carry the coated line. We use it in NY with out any problems. Search: double flaring tool | Flaring Tool | AutoZone.com

For example, the tool is not that expensive and very handy to have if you do your own work. We stock coils and fittings to make our own lines, (with 12 cars in the family it helps)

Old 05-31-2012, 10:05 PM
Blue and White
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I also used the 20' or 25' lengths of tube from the parts store for replacement on my dent. With mild steel tubing, a mid-price double flare kit (AZ OEM) works fine. With stainless, a high end flaring tool is required. Even with a good tool, sealing SS is more difficult.

Most of the steel lines on my Dent lasted 30+ years so I am happy to replace with steel.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:09 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
My girlfriend's family has a bunch of tractors and stuff so maybe I can ask them if there is a good hydraulic shop around here. I am getting ready to place an order from summit so I could order a coil of stainless and try to get someone to flare them locally, or wait until I can get with my brother.

I'm just bummed cause everything has been coming together and this is a setback and I'll have to wait longer. Also bummed because I finished my disc brake swap and my wheels do not clear my calipers.

Quick Reply: options for replacing brake line from dist block to rear soft hose?