Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

2011-2012 Shudder Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 08:24 PM
GameChaser
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely give that a try. I'm going to the dealership tomorrow to have it looked at. Two days into ownership with problems like this are unacceptable.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:15 AM
Ferrisswheel
New User
I was having a shudder/jerking problem on my 2010 SCrew 4x4 short bed. It always happened first startup of the day. Always between 60-80 MPH and before the trany got up to normal operating temp. Of course I took mine to the dealer also. They couldn't find a problem. All they said was they noticed a "flare" between 2nd and 3rd gears. I installed a superchips programmer and increased the trans fluid pressure. It helped a little. I bought this truck used with 55000 miles. So I didn't know how my truck had been treated before. I got it. Finally thought that maybe the person before me might have, for some reason, had to add trany fluid and might have added the wrong kind/type. I had the dealer flush the trany and now she runs perfect. No more shudder. After reading everyone else's problems I now wonder if Ford hasn't added contaminated trans fluid from the factory. Don't know if this helps anyone, just my problem and fix.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:24 AM
red twin turbo-12
New User
Still having the same shudder issue at 5mph and after 4 attempts by dealer to resolve issue. Seems to be a common problem with the 157" wheelbase. Dealer has tried the shims, and replacing the drive shaft. Problem is easily duplicated by riding the brakes slightly and holding speed at 5mph. The engine and tranny will start rocking back and forth rapidly.

This is frustrating as Ford says this is "normal" and nothing more can be done. My truck a was built 12/2011 in Dearborn. Been told the trucks built in 2012 the problem has been fixed. Does that mean Ford knows what the problem is and keeping under wraps?

Am ready to try extra leaf spring or the roadmaster active suspension, but why do I have to spend the money if Ford knows of the problem?

Old 08-26-2012, 10:06 AM
Billyclub
Senior User
Just got done going round and round with FMC two weeks ago. # trips to the dealer and multiple shims and alterations to the drivetrain. End result is one shim and still shuddering at 1400RPM. Spoke with Ford Customer service manager, He states Ford is well aware of problem and eworking on it. I told hi theyve been working on it since 2009! He was all apologetic but the end result was the same. They gave me a 5 yr/ 100K drivetrain warranty (Ford Warranty).
I'm done with FMC till they issue a TSB. I installed Air Ride Bellow kit and it made the shudder barely detectable.
Frustrated with Ford doesn't come close to stating how I feel.
Maybe some phone calls to the TSB are in order.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:35 AM
flixden
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 76gdmn
I have a 4x4 with just over 2,000 miles. Mine shudders at 5-6 mph when accelerating from a stop but you don't really notice it because it seems everytime I am at a stop sign or light and accelerate that there is a concrete joint or bump in the road so the shudder gets dissolved in the road.

I will say that when towing 7000 lbs the shudder at 5 mph is much more noticeable.

On the other forums I have read, it seems that when guys take their trucks in the dealer just shims it and then when it still happens they say it is a normal operating condition. I'm not going to have the dealer do anything until Ford has determined exactly what it is and releases a fix for it. There is also supposedly a 55mph shudder but I have not experienced this.
The shudder you are describing is axle wrap. The higher the spring rate, the better. HD payload trucks like mine won't experience this much if at all.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:35 PM
red twin turbo-12
New User
One way of resolving the 5mph shudder

Originally Posted by jonbar87
Absolutely no shudder issue with mine.
Last weekend I installed the Firestone Ride Right Air Bags on my F150. The shutter is now completely gone! I thought it might be the tranny since the dealer replaced the (2 piece) driveshaft, shims put in, yoke lubed, etc. etc. but nothing fixed the shutter issue. I debated on getting the RAS system, adding a leaf spring, etc. Went with the air bags as I wanted to be able to "play" with the angle of the pinion. I do carry about 1200LBS of tools and parts for my business and tow a 31' travel trailer at times, so the air bags could adjust to my changing needs.

I do not know how to measure pinion angle but I can tell you that the rear end had to be raised at least 2.5". Measuring to the bottom of hitch receiver truck was originally at 15.25" loaded. I must maintain over 17.5" for there to be no shutter at all. At 17" or just below, the shutter starts showing itself slightly again.

My opinion, the driveshaft is the issue. If I ride the brake and maintain 5mph the shutter is constant. The crew cab with the 6.5 box (157" wheelbase) are the trucks that have this issue, and the only change I see from the other F150's are the 2-piece driveshaft. I am going back to my Ford dealer with my findings, and hopefully Ford will come up with a fix.

Wish you guys luck in gettting yours resolved also. Sure like the ride now that the shutter is gone. Had to adjust my drivers seat slightly, but other than that the ride was not compromised too much, just a slight more bounce in the rearend. I am running about 30psi in the air bags which can be inflated to 100psi. May entertain a lift kit for the front if Ford does not do something with the driveshaft soon!

This is my first 1/2 ton, love the ride and the great gas mileage. Had only 3/4 ton trucks in the past. The ecoboost engine is incredible. Love the truck!

Bottom line, get the truck height higher (rear 2-3") like jonbar87 and the low speed shudder issue goes away.

2012 4X4 screw ecoboost, red candy, 157" wheelbase, 6.5 box, maxtow, #7700 weight package, ARE commercial cap, Firestone Ride Right Airbags, 17K miles (3.5K towing) since 3/12, 12/2011 build date Dearborn MI.<!-- / message -->
<!-- controls -->

Old 10-09-2012, 10:00 PM
BLUEFORDXLT
New User
Hello. I have been following this thread for over a year now. Same issue. I also have a contractor cap with about 1000lbs or so of tools, ladders, etc. Dealer has done all TSBS, shim kits etc to no success. Also frustrated as heck as I am constantly told this is a normal characteristic of the truck and there is nothing more to do. They did try one experimental thing that no one has mentioned. Installed different transmission mounts which were to change the angle of the tranny. Made problem worse. Shudder at 5kmph and at 70-100kmph. Where did you purchase the Firestone ride right air bags? Wonder if they are available in Canada. Want to pursue this . Keep me posted on your success. Thanks

Old 10-09-2012, 10:53 PM
red twin turbo-12
New User
Same here, been watching for a solution since purchasing my F150. I'm sure you can find Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs locally or search on the net. The #2525 kit was easy to install, no holes needed to be drilled. Saved myself a couple hundred on the install, and very satisfied with the results. Amazing to take off from a stop without the shudder.

I will keep you posted on what if anything FMC says about my results. This does add 2-4" on your rear end height, but I am getting use to it. Was considering adding leaf spring to boost my height, but did not want to compromise the ride. The air bags also give me the flexability to raise or lower the height according to the load I have. I am now considering adding the onboard air compressor with electronic control instead of putting the air in manually.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:42 PM
sithot
5th Wheeling
The last really good Ford I bought was in 2001 DRW350PSD. I owned a total of 4 diesels and 4 gassers since 1994. My '99 PSD was the best truck I ever owned. I had 2 different 150's in the last 2.5 years and did about 50,000 miles. Sold the last one and am not going back until Ford gets their act together. Rear main seal leak, driveshaft issues, transmission leaks and shifting issues. Never mind the other vibrations from the front end.
I'm a Ford truck guy through and through but I'm not made of money nor do I have the time to chase down every glitch the factory lets slip through figuring to "fix later". That's a ****-poor business model imho.
I'd love nothing better than to buy another one but it's not going to happen until I quit reading about the Ecoboost issues, the lastest diesel problems and the potential issues with the direct injection gas engines.

Loyalty can only carry you so far.

I wish everyone well and I hope to be back in the drivers seat of a Ford soon but wait and see is the best option. There's plenty out here to drive and all of them are hungry!

Old 12-24-2012, 06:40 PM
Littlejohn94
New User
Thumbs up Low speed/towing Ecoboost shudder FIX!

Created my account to help you guys out. I work at a Ford dealership and we are one of the few dealerships in the country to fix the low speed shudder (the one that gets extremely worse when towing). This fix is for the two-piece drive shaft. The problem is the drive line angle. The only good fix for this so far is to install a Ford Raptor transmission mount. Part number AL3Z-6068-B. This mount is rated for the ecoboost as well and is safe to use. Warranty will pay for it. Rubber is thicker and changes the drive line angle. Your dealership WILL need the part number for the raptor mount. Ford's hotline will not give them a part number nor will they help them because the hotline cannot recommend a part that is not for that vehicle....period. Try it and be thrilled.
-Littlejohn

Old 12-25-2012, 09:34 AM
Billyclub
Senior User
Thank you so much for the info. I hope this works

Old 12-25-2012, 11:25 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Littlejohn94
Created my account to help you guys out. I work at a Ford dealership and we are one of the few dealerships in the country to fix the low speed shudder (the one that gets extremely worse when towing). This fix is for the two-piece drive shaft. The problem is the drive line angle. The only good fix for this so far is to install a Ford Raptor transmission mount. Part number AL3Z-6068-B. This mount is rated for the ecoboost as well and is safe to use. Warranty will pay for it. Rubber is thicker and changes the drive line angle. Your dealership WILL need the part number for the raptor mount. Ford's hotline will not give them a part number nor will they help them because the hotline cannot recommend a part that is not for that vehicle....period. Try it and be thrilled.
-Littlejohn
That is very nice of you to join the forum to help with this issue!!!! you have reps from me for that! We need more people connected with Ford to help on issues that arise with these trucks. Welcome to FTE!!!

Old 12-27-2012, 09:23 PM
Littlejohn94
New User
Originally Posted by PrinceValium
That is very nice of you to join the forum to help with this issue!!!! you have reps from me for that! We need more people connected with Ford to help on issues that arise with these trucks. Welcome to FTE!!!
Your welcome. If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I will help as much as I can. I dont have time to go through questions on here. Just going to answer ones that I am personally asked or ones that I stumble across. I have access to many many problems and fixes and we have a discussion board through Ford that only we can access. It allows us to communicate with every dealership, tech, engineer, parts dept., ect. all at the same time.
Thank You for your props

Old 12-30-2012, 05:45 AM
m.gil
Freshman User
Originally Posted by TheWhiteBeast
If you had a powerful union backing you, knowing that you couldn't get fired for doing a half assed job, and that if you just milk it til retirement you get a buttload of benefits, then what is your incentive to work hard or well? It's almost as hard to fire these people as it is to fire a teacher.
I really dont think it has anything to do with the guys who put it together, it all starts with design and engineering. the people putting these trucks together dont test drive them afterward , so they probably arent even aware of the problem, even if they were and did report it , it would be up to management to do something about it. And they damn sure wont stop an assembly line to look it over. I'm sure the people on the assembly line are doing exactly what they are paid to do, put together what some engineer designed.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:49 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Littlejohn94
-Littlejohn
Welcome, thanks, and Reps sent!

Quick Reply: 2011-2012 Shudder Issue?