6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

A Must Do IMO

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 11:47 PM
hschiro
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Must Do IMO

I just upgraded to Bilstein 5100 shocks on my 2011 6.7 4x4. It is like driving a new truck that does not bounce and adjusts to the road instantly instead of bouncing. I have read threads about the difference but without experiencing it myself it is hard to describe the difference. IMO I can't believe these beasts do not come with this type of a shock in the first place. I love my truck already but this just added another dimension to it.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:36 AM
KG6EPF
Senior User
My only hesitation has been concern over stiffening the ride. There are plenty of folks out there that say it should "ride like a truck", but being my daily driver I'd like a little smooth comfort when I'm not towing. Been considering some of the adjustable shocks vs the 5100's but still unsure which way to go. The only thing I know for sure is that I need to upgrade, especially for the steering wobble.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:45 AM
Fontana
Senior User
Originally Posted by KG6EPF
My only hesitation has been concern over stiffening the ride. There are plenty of folks out there that say it should "ride like a truck", but being my daily driver I'd like a little smooth comfort when I'm not towing. Been considering some of the adjustable shocks vs the 5100's but still unsure which way to go. The only thing I know for sure is that I need to upgrade, especially for the steering wobble.
If I can make a suggestion....

The 5100's are amazing. Unless you have diverse towing needs adjustable shocks are not necessary. The Bilstein shocks provide a dramatic improvement in ride quality. I'm not exaggerating.

The stock Rancho shocks are junk. Please for safety sake upgrade your shocks now. I cannot believe Ford has not done a recall on the inferior shocks.

I'm not a big mod guy but I can say with confidence that the shocks and speakers are the easiest and cheapest way to make a great truck outstanding.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:08 AM
hschiro
Senior User
I live in Southern California and my older 05 bounced like a wild horse on the 91 freeway out here (concrete freeway). My 11' still bounces but not nearly as bad but still very noticeable. (I know these are work trucks and there is no way around it completely) but the addition of these 5100's has made such a difference it feels more like a waltz now instead of a hip hop while driving on the concrete expansion joints.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:16 AM
my996duc1
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hschiro
I live in Southern California and my older 05 bounced like a wild horse on the 91 freeway out here (concrete freeway). My 11' still bounces but not nearly as bad but still very noticeable. (I know these are work trucks and there is no way around it completely) but the addition of these 5100's has made such a difference it feels more like a waltz now instead of a hip hop while driving on the concrete expansion joints.
I agree.... I switched out the the Bilsteins a couple weeks ago.

atleast the 91 Fwy spends a better part of the day as a parking lot so the need to worry about bouncing along at speed is diminished

_

Old 04-29-2012, 07:08 AM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
i got rid of the junkos and installed the bilsteins at 230 miles. the truck still rides like a truck, but it doesnt buck you out of the seat if you goin 75 down the 118 fwy. the stock shocks still returned to the fully extended postion but the return time was almost a minute. the bilsteins were less than 10 seconds. still havent done my steering stabilizer yet...but soon. btw when removing the stock shocks, i noticed the left rear was leaking. heres a pic

notice the yellow colored fluid

Old 04-29-2012, 07:28 AM
army350
Senior User
Hello, I am a new "poster" but have been reading your forums for a while now. I just purchased (2 weeks ago) a 2012 F350 4x4 Dually 6.7 and have been following the Bilstein threads with particular interest. I understand from your posts that the FX4 models come with the Rancho shocks that have been the central issue and should be repplaced. My question is, my truck is not an FX4 and does not appear to have the Rancho's (mine are all black shocks without a name or brand on them that I can see) any idea what brand mine might be and if I would benefit from the Bilstein's as well? Thank you to any and all replies.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:46 AM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
you have the standard motorcraft (ford) shocks. havent heard much about them one way or another however the ranchos on the FX4 are motorcraft as well, just Rancho "branded" as ford says on the "build your own" section of their website. i would guess they are not much better but maybe they are. if you do swap em out, it would be interesting to know how they rebound compared to the bilsteins.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:17 AM
hschiro
Senior User
My truck is not an Fx4 and did have the original black shocks. When I removed them they would extend out VERY slowly but it only took a slight amount of pressure to compress them.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:51 AM
Davgt500
Senior User
I have to do this, the "concrete bounce" is a killer when you do it for 30 miles @ 70 mph! I just can't decide between the Bilsteins or the Rancho 9000's.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:54 AM
buckmasters
Senior User
For those of you that are interested in the 5100 steering stabilizer, autoplicity.com has them in stock. There is a serious backorder issue on these right now. 4wheelparts, Oreilly, and Xtremediesel all tell me it will be until mid-June until they are able to get more from the factory. Autoplicity's website says they have 7 in stock (well 6 now - I just ordered mine).

My 5100 shocks are being delivered tomorrow. Can't wait to get all this installed and see how the ride is improved. Mine absorbs bumps OK, but the steering gets really sloppy. If I hit a rough patch in a road or a big pot hole, it feels like I'm going to lose it. My 06 F150 had much tighter steering.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:34 PM
soling2003
Senior User
Does anyo e that put on the bilstein 's have any real world experience towing with them, especially a large 5th wheel? I'm torn between them and the rancho 9000's too. I don't worry about the little 13ft whaler I tow, but the 40ft 5'er at 15,000 lbs and 3000 LB hitch weight is the question. Although the stock shocks aren't too bad with that kind of weight, the bilstein 's have to be better!

Old 04-29-2012, 12:41 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
I have the standard black shocks and they work fine but I say that probably because I don't know what I'm missing with aftermarket.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:35 PM
RedBoat
Rather Be Floatin

Originally Posted by Davgt500
I have to do this, the "concrete bounce" is a killer when you do it for 30 miles @ 70 mph! I just can't decide between the Bilsteins or the Rancho 9000's.
I think upgrading would give an improved ride. I replaced my stock Ranchos with the 9000's mainly because I use the truck for both commuting to work and towing and like the abilityto tune the ride for either situation.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:24 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
i wouldnt touch anything rancho. just me tho. as for towing, shocks arent carrying the load, the springs are. shocks just smooth out the ride. but whenever i would tow with my 08 6.4, the ride was great. and i had the 4x4 stock shocks. empty tho, there were times i thought my truck was coming apart, felt like i was re-entering the atmosphere or something

Quick Reply: A Must Do IMO