1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

the official OBS diesel off topic thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 07:21 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If thats one thing I have a lot of and a lot of good quality stuff is soldering irons and Dremel tools/attachments.

My father as well as my grandfather were into model airplanes, trains, cars. Pretty much if it was small and would GO they built/toyed with it.

And my grandfather always thought if it was worth buying one of them its worth buying 6 of.

When we went to clean out his house(3 generations of my family lived in that house so some of it wasnt his...but still he never bothered to get rid of it). We brought back over 2 dozen unopened model airplane kits (engines, balsa wood, servos and all). and like 6 or 7 tackle boxes...which each of course had EVERYTHING you would ever need.

Since im the only fisherman in the family I kind of took one of everything and put it in my tacklebox, but I kid you not if I laid it all out. I have probably 15 of the same kinds of louers...looers...loooooooers.

Sorry this ends my rant. Its early... im tired. and its already 85* today.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:10 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Awitte58
If thats one thing I have a lot of and a lot of good quality stuff is soldering irons and Dremel tools/attachments.

My father as well as my grandfather were into model airplanes, trains, cars. Pretty much if it was small and would GO they built/toyed with it.

And my grandfather always thought if it was worth buying one of them its worth buying 6 of.

When we went to clean out his house(3 generations of my family lived in that house so some of it wasnt his...but still he never bothered to get rid of it). We brought back over 2 dozen unopened model airplane kits (engines, balsa wood, servos and all). and like 6 or 7 tackle boxes...which each of course had EVERYTHING you would ever need.

Since im the only fisherman in the family I kind of took one of everything and put it in my tacklebox, but I kid you not if I laid it all out. I have probably 15 of the same kinds of louers...looers...loooooooers.

Sorry this ends my rant. Its early... im tired. and its already 85* today.
I got 78 already

I wish I could get into some goodies like that.

Sickens me when people have family deaths and just pitch all sorts of really good stuff like that.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:23 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Talyn
I got 78 already

I wish I could get into some goodies like that.

Sickens me when people have family deaths and just pitch all sorts of really good stuff like that.
What sorta stuff you interested in? Like I said I have too much... I have 13 dremels or so that each have a few accessories...thats this dremel not sure the RPM rating on each of them...

We brought back a LOT of stuff. All of it worth bringing back. For a few years we had a storage unit cuz sadly my dads side and moms side all passed within the same 5 years.

But my moms side was farmers so we kept the land and auctioned off most of the equipment. Kept a lot of the woodworking tools from his shop as well as all of the things he made for us/was in the process of making us. They werent much into collecting so it was just pictures and stuff.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:48 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
What sorta stuff you interested in? Like I said I have too much... I have 13 dremels or so that each have a few accessories...thats this dremel not sure the RPM rating on each of them...

We brought back a LOT of stuff. All of it worth bringing back. For a few years we had a storage unit cuz sadly my dads side and moms side all passed within the same 5 years.

But my moms side was farmers so we kept the land and auctioned off most of the equipment. Kept a lot of the woodworking tools from his shop as well as all of the things he made for us/was in the process of making us. They werent much into collecting so it was just pictures and stuff.
I'm trying to find an old style table saw.

One with the HUGE cast iron deck that doubles as a good workspace.

I love old tools.
I wish I had more opportunities to collect them.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:50 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Auctions are your friend. Old tools are best had at auction. Estate auctions especially.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:53 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Auctions are your friend. Old tools are best had at auction. Estate auctions especially.
Unfortunately I've noticed they are vastly overpriced for value.

Around here at least.

Auctions are good and bad.
Good when you can score things at the correct value or lower.

Gun auctions are a good example of this.
400 dollar guns going for 1600 dollars.
WTF?!

The only benefit of overpaying at an auction here is that the government doesn't know what you bought or how many guns you bought, they just know you applied to purchase that day.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:20 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Talyn
Gun auctions are a good example of this.
400 dollar guns going for 1600 dollars.
WTF?!

The only benefit of overpaying at an auction here is that the government doesn't know what you bought or how many guns you bought, they just know you applied to purchase that day.
Haha That is exactly why things like guns go for outrageous prices!

Them doomsday preppers are buying up all the guns they can because AS YOU KNOW! the government is going to take away our right to bear arms right before the worlds end comes and we are all defenseless!

haha I love watching doomsday preppers or all those other shows where people have conspiracy theories how the worlds coming to an end and the govt is always part of it!

Old 06-28-2012, 09:59 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Haha That is exactly why things like guns go for outrageous prices!

Them doomsday preppers are buying up all the guns they can because AS YOU KNOW! the government is going to take away our right to bear arms right before the worlds end comes and we are all defenseless!

haha I love watching doomsday preppers or all those other shows where people have conspiracy theories how the worlds coming to an end and the govt is always part of it!
It's over-dramatized.

Special interest groups do want a protectionist culture though.

I love guns, I love being prepared.
I love the idea of a public militia.
Nobody ever considers our LEO's to be our Local Militia. Hmm Magine that?
Problem is they end up harassing people instead of protecting them in some cases.
Small dick syndrome.

I like the idea of being able to live off the land and not rely on others.
Does that mean I'm a prepper? Helllllllll no.
NO No NO.

But it is fun to watch these people spend 80,000 a year on supplies they are not thinking though.
If they could hunker down, these supplies would be great, but if you notice, most of the people on these shows could easily be over-run by a few of us on here.

Hell, I could buy a few hi-point pistols and carbines, train you all for a few hours (like 2) and we would be able to overtake half these people except for the people in the bunkers.
They can stay down there for all I care.

I'm talking the people that have 10 years of food supplies and have to use a go-cart to get around or a 4wheeler, so you know they don't move fast.
Or the people who have no gun experience.

Thats the purpose of having wilderness skills and prepping in lets say an "awol" format.
Not a hoarder because your paranoid. Cannot take that 80k in supplies with you newbie!

Old 06-28-2012, 10:31 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
I second that William!

I think "knowledge is power." is probably the best 'prepping' you can do.

All you need to have is a couple days worth of food on hand (which most households do... unless the world ends the day i needed to go to the grocery) a gun and some ammo (and know how to use it) and a reliable vehicle full of fuel to get you somewhere (thats why i bought a Ford Diesel).

And if the world goes to hell then you can take your ammo and food and travel somewhere in those couple days to get you what you need.
Having all that crap with you wont necessarily do you any good. I mean if you have a 3000 sq foot concrete enclosed basement where you have hydroponics to grow food and miraculously create water. lol

Long story short I hear ya William and I feel like the first guys id come to are my buddies on the truck forum and then hit up the NRA crowd. My friends all know how to hunt and just generally do stuff.
I guess im ready for whatever comes, but I feel like my Lord will just call me up the old natural way. Its called dying.

Old 07-15-2012, 03:35 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Where is everyone? I'm non the only one hanging out inside when is 104 outside am I? I'm getting really sick of this weather. Up to possibly 108 tomorrow. Humidity isn't quite as high as it was. All the crops are drying out. It's not good for sure. I'm not moving far from my ac..

I'm kinda bored as you may see...

I got a used dana 60 complete REAR axle to put in my 76 for 100 bucks as mine is in bad shape. Same gear ratio and width but different spring locations so I ordered new perches for it today so I can work on that next weekend. I do have ac in the shop, talking 100 all this week and next weekend, except for 2 days in the mid to high 90's...

Old 07-15-2012, 04:13 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,186 Likes on 2,221 Posts
i have AC in my shop too.
a 10,000 btu window unit sitting on one of the shelves, and a 95,000 btu furnace with a 5 ton AC unit to go with it sitting in the corner.
one of these days i am gonna hook one of them up.

Old 07-15-2012, 04:15 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm on vacation in gulf shores Al.

Sitting by the pool watching my little one play. And it's hot as two mice humping in a wool sock

Old 07-15-2012, 04:15 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
Where is everyone? I'm non the only one hanging out inside when is 104 outside am I? I'm getting really sick of this weather. Up to possibly 108 tomorrow. Humidity isn't quite as high as it was. All the crops are drying out. It's not good for sure. I'm not moving far from my ac..

I'm kinda bored as you may see...

I got a used dana 60 complete REAR axle to put in my 76 for 100 bucks as mine is in bad shape. Same gear ratio and width but different spring locations so I ordered new perches for it today so I can work on that next weekend. I do have ac in the shop, talking 100 all this week and next weekend, except for 2 days in the mid to high 90's...
It's crazy how hot it is here as well. I was hanging ceiling grid in a commercial space when the power went out yesterday. I packed up do to no lights, but mostly cause no AC!

Old 07-15-2012, 04:36 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Those both made me laugh quite hard, thanks Tom and Mike! All I have for ac is a wall unit, I put it in a window. It's old and big, must be 20000. 220 unit. Loud as heck, but works pretty darn good. I did insulate the shed quite well when I built it though.

Enjoy your time away Mike. Watching the little one is as good as it gets. I'm gonna go see my granddaughter this friday I think, she's so cute!

I hear ya Todd. This weather I've been working 5:30 or so till noon. I'm just not gonna work tomorrow. It's just ridiculous.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:15 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,186 Likes on 2,221 Posts
2 am to 10am is a nice thing, unless the job runs over like it did on thursday and you don't get in until 4 pm.
but i had friday off to make up for it.

Quick Reply: the official OBS diesel off topic thread