the official OBS diesel off topic thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 07:07 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nateairman
I did some things today.

Mostly cleaned the old family ride and got it ready for sale. Kids are messy.

I chiseled out the panel adhesive at the top of the cab primed it and sealed it back up. Now its just got to rain...
You don't have a garden hose?

And yeah, kids are gross. I can't even identify some of the stuff I've clean out of the back seat in the 13 years we have had kids.... I love 'em though.

Old 04-29-2019, 09:10 AM
nateairman
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic

And yeah, kids are gross. I can't even identify some of the stuff I've clean out of the back seat in the 13 years we have had kids.... I love 'em though.
She is gardening and all the hoses are hooked up to soaker hoses. I don't dare touch them as she has a lot to say.

Old 04-29-2019, 09:44 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nateairman
She is gardening and all the hoses are hooked up to soaker hoses. I don't dare touch them as she has a lot to say.
Hahahaha! I don't blame you there! Don't mess with mama.

Old 04-29-2019, 12:41 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 401 Likes on 270 Posts
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic

Yea, wife's car is destroyed..I'm over it. It's her problem. Them rug rats get in my junk I'm on them like Stink in poo. Not in my rig is that crap happening.
I flat told them Friday that supposedly men are pigs...yea not like my women..

Old 05-01-2019, 10:46 PM
nateairman
Cargo Master
So idle hands are the devil's playground.....

What's it take to put the 460 guts of an e4od 4x4 into the case of a 7.3 e4od 2wd? The goal is a e40d 4x4 behind a 7.3

I am looking at options to for the other project.... may have a buyer lined up for all the left over parts once I bolt the Hulk together again..

Q: What do Humpty Dumpty and The Hulk have I'm common?

A: They are both torn apart at my house.....

Goodnight!

Old 05-02-2019, 10:57 AM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Received 1,182 Likes on 962 Posts
Thumbs up

Output shaft is the only real concern you need to worry about.

You may as well go through it if you are pulling it apart, it would be a fools errand to not IMO. I am guessing the 7.3 E4OD 4x4 unit is for a keeper vehicle?

Old 05-03-2019, 01:13 PM
dclack
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
WARNING! OT RANT!

My wife's Expedition has been leaking a little oil that drips onto the exhaust and last week it decided to start leaking coolant also. So I spent last weekend finishing a 302 swap in my Bronco so she could drive the truck. That all went well, but I had an annoying exhaust leak on the Bronco that turned out to be a bad header gasket. Easy fix; so I unbolted the header and pulled the bad gasket out. Then hopped into the truck (now the only drivable vehicle) to go get a gasket. As I pulled into O-Reilly's and 'tried' to stop, I realized that I no longer had power brakes! With a strong leg and the assist of the curb I managed to not add a drive-thru window to the store. I immediately checked the vent controls and sure enough the air was defaulted to defrost. Gotta be the vacuum pump.

So on into the store I go and would guess they actually have a new pump in stock. Of course not! All of the other stores in town have one, but not this location. So grabbed the header gasket I needed an headed home to hopefully get the Bronco back together before the other stores close. I was in such a hurry that I forget to grab my phone so I could check the part number and not have to rely on some pimple headed teenage kid ask me of my truck was 2 or 4wd. So I got there and after some searching and having to 'coach' the kid on what to put in his search, we finally found the part number and the right pump. Or so I thought!

As soon as I got home I realized that there was a minor difference between the two. Thanks to this site I found out that there is a minor difference between the '94.5-95 and '96-97 with the latter having a dual action diaphragm; but the two pumps are interchangeable. Since the stores were all closed now, I had no choice but to use this pump. The install went fine and worked like a charm. Oh, the '94.5-95 did not come with a pulley (a new one was $24, so I just reused my old one).

Now that the job was done I decided to see if I could fine the correct pump. Sure enough, the store that sold me the pump had the correct one in stock. What really pissed me off is that the '96-97 pump comes with a new pulley and bolts installed AND it was $13 cheaper with a $2 less core charge! So the next day I pulled that pump off, returned to the store, told them they sold me the wrong one, got the '96-97 pump, and got some money back.

Old 05-03-2019, 02:12 PM
dclack
Fleet Mechanic
So now that the Bronco and PSD are running, I need to fix the Expedition. I've been thinking that the oil leak was coming from the passenger head gasket and the leaking coolant now seems to confirm that. However, I got under there and the coolant seems to be coming from the lines that feed the rear heater core. That being said, I still think the oil is coming from the passenger head gasket. Should fix the head gaskets or look into a reman long block? The car just turned 200k miles but runs just fine. This place (Promar) has remans for $2300. If I fix the head gasket, should I pull the engine or try to do it in the car? What are you recommended brands for gaskets and timing chain parts? Any other opinions? Maybe from somebody who recently did a similar job a 5.4 Navi?

Passenger head gasket

Drivers head gasket (Yes, I see the broken exhaust stud; didn't notice it before though).

Old 05-03-2019, 02:25 PM
skuzzybucket
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Just a heads up, the back timing chains are a real nightmare in the truck. REAL nightmare.
I would pull it.
If you pull it, at 200,000 might as well freshen it up.
If it were a oil burner, I'd do a head job and slap it back in. Gas, I go for the reman, or the rebuild.

Old 05-03-2019, 04:56 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
It's not bad doing it in cab, passenger side is kind of difficult but doable, just prepare to leave the two back head bolts in place but not all the way in held by a rubber band so they wont fall down and scrape the head gasket same with driver side. Refreshen the heads and put new head gaskets, new timing chains, tensioners and guides. You cant beat OEM. In the end your looking close to $1000 just in parts and machine work not including labor. I did this with the wifes old Excursion 2 years ago but the X has lots of room to work with, the expy and f150s from that era like mentioned its hard but doable.

Old 05-03-2019, 08:01 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
2v or 3v?
2v I used to do right side head gasket after right side head gasket. In Frame easy peasey. I once upon a time could turn one out in a day.

Never did a 3v.

The 4v Navi...screwww that. That sucked just putting and engine in.

That engine is just broke in at200k. I never needed to do chains back then because they were new. You may need to look into a complete kit to be safe. Can always return or save for later..
Manifold fasteners always come out easy. Just drill a hole to get ahold of the broken part. It'll spin out no prob .

Old 05-03-2019, 08:27 PM
dclack
Fleet Mechanic
It's just a 2v. By right side, do you mean passenger?

Old 05-04-2019, 09:49 AM
nateairman
Cargo Master
Is it possible to get new vent glass into the frame with the factory gasket? If so how!?

I want to put a vent window in #3 before moving it outside. The door is seperating so it will need to be welded but for now it will be animal proof.

Old 05-04-2019, 10:05 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Originally Posted by dclack
It's just a 2v. By right side, do you mean passenger?
Yes. The gasket was Improperly designed. Ford gasket,new head bolts and reinstall. Clean gasket material. No machining needed. Just untorque in pattern like installing. I did MANY like that with no comebacks. I did in 8 hr day back then. Not sure I could now 18 years later and 50 lbs heavier lol.

The port that leak is from rear upper corner where oil pressure comes from block to head for valve train.

Old 05-04-2019, 11:23 AM
dclack
Fleet Mechanic
What about Mahle gaskets? I was looking at this set... https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...4IKasYfA%3D%3D

And this Cloyes timing set... https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...844&cc=1411119

Quick Reply: the official OBS diesel off topic thread