6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

So what did you do to your 6.0L today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 09:04 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 217 Likes on 145 Posts

I know it is hard to see but I am wondering if this is the standard place for a FICM ground, on the heat shield. IMO the intake stud would be better but the eye seems to be too small and I don't have a nut for the stud with the correct thread.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:10 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 411 Likes on 272 Posts
I've got one of those covers, plus fluid and probably too old sealant, that I should install...

Have 80% of a building completed up by the house now

Projects will become more do-able soon...

That is just one of them....

Old 11-18-2017, 09:15 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,075 Likes on 1,405 Posts
Excurvelle,

It is supposed be be on an intake stud, but it’s not the FICM ground, it’s the harness shielding ground. The real FICM ground is on the fender by the hood strut mount.

So the shielding ground needs to be on something connected to the engine block, the true ground of all things. The heat shield is somewhat OK, but an intake bolt/stud would be best

Old 11-18-2017, 11:32 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
So after bleeding the brakes again on the truck i discovered there was still some trapped air in the system. Now they feel much better than they did before.

Bu then while i was cleaning up i noticed that somehow my boost gauge line got all twisted up. Not sure how that happened but went to lowes and just got a straight union to correct the issue.

No more kink in the line. Kinda surprised since its was rated to more than the engines supposed to get to heat wise. But noticed my regulator emergency returns doing something similar so now i gotta work on that.

Old 11-19-2017, 03:10 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Maybe it is just me but fresh T6 5W-40 and Hot Shot Secret make my truck run smoother.

Filled up the tank to get ready for a Thanksgiving camper trip to Murrells Inlet, SC

Old 11-19-2017, 07:17 PM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts
I got a new grill emblem.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:23 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
Excurvelle,

It is supposed be be on an intake stud, but it’s not the FICM ground, it’s the harness shielding ground. The real FICM ground is on the fender by the hood strut mount.

So the shielding ground needs to be on something connected to the engine block, the true ground of all things. The heat shield is somewhat OK, but an intake bolt/stud would be best

Thank you! I will move the connection once I figure out what nut goes on the intake stud.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:40 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

It the standard 6-1.0mm flange nut that Ford uses everywhere. You could borrow one from the MAP bracket over on the heater box for short term. I just bought a bag of 100 for $5.00. What is available from other then Ford may be up a mm in the hex size.

Old 11-19-2017, 09:39 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Changed the drivers side brake line and lubed the front-end up.

Old 11-20-2017, 05:58 AM
Tideman
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Jack I know you’re up to the high water line in what all you have going on, BUT when you get time could you post part # and where you got those nuts. I am constantly “misplacing “ them.

Old 11-20-2017, 07:30 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Danny,

I keep stock for my activities and load up even more when I’m doing projects like this motor. What I don’t use now, I will someday. Most of the nuts and bolts are McMaster as the quality is good and I have choice. HD bins and the like tend to have poor quality stock.

Field of dreams, past, present and future.

Shaky pano image. Ford specific items get their own container new and previously used. The Ford body bolts with the large washers come a different vendor and are always good to have. I’ll edit in that source later, I’m given it before. Those heads are the exact as Ford specs. Box right is mostly McMaster or odd leftovers.

An example of hex differences, 6mm stock. In a case like this, HPOP cover or oil pan, I’ll switch over to all of the new size so rework won’t drive some crazy. Stock 8mm, replacement 10mm. Flange diameter is still close to the same.

You have a choice to get JIC standards, which sometimes are the same hex andflange as Ford.

If you go to product detail of the part your interested in .....

It will show the design details and the hex diameter if the product table gets confusing.

Edit in.

If you want exact spec and the body flange bolts, Clips and Fasteners is where I go. There’s a lot to search, but can get more expensive depending on the subject.

Old 11-20-2017, 08:05 AM
Tideman
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
THANK YOU JACK!!!! Now I’m not going to mention the OCD because it obvious that you don’t have it . I’m on the other end of the spectrum. I could have 2000 of these nuts laying around and couldn’t find one when I needed it. Thanks again.

Old 11-20-2017, 08:56 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
Danny,

I keep stock for my activities and load up even more when I’m doing projects like this motor. What I don’t use now, I will someday. Most of the nuts and bolts are McMaster as the quality is good and I have choice. HD bins and the like tend to have poor quality stock.

Field of dreams, past, present and future.

Shaky pano image. Ford specific items get their own container new and previously used. The Ford body bolts with the large washers come a different vendor and are always good to have. I’ll edit in that source later, I’m given it before. Those heads are the exact as Ford specs. Box right is mostly McMaster or odd leftovers.

An example of hex differences, 6mm stock. In a case like this, HPOP cover or oil pan, I’ll switch over to all of the new size so rework won’t drive some crazy. Stock 8mm, replacement 10mm. Flange diameter is still close to the same.

You have a choice to get JIC standards, which sometimes are the same hex andflange as Ford.

If you go to product detail of the part your interested in .....

It will show the design details and the hex diameter if the product table gets confusing.

Edit in.

If you want exact spec and the body flange bolts, Clips and Fasteners is where I go. There’s a lot to search, but can get more expensive depending on the subject.

Admins/Mods, We need a sticky for this!!!

Old 11-20-2017, 09:00 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Danny,

By nature I'm not really OCD. My office right now would be a fine example.

However.......It took a few decades, more then a few, to realize I spend too much time looking for things like a nut or bolt, and no amount of CoQ10 is helping in this matter. So I put things in a place, labeled, and sometimes that still doesn't help.

This is a packed two car garage for all my activities, auto, motorcycle, farm, cabinetmaking, audio, remodeling, whatever. So things are everywhere and all space is utilized. Not the hoarder my mother was, but I've got a lot of toys. And I need to find things.

My last activity for the night is to put all tools back in their place, parts too, vacuum and clean up for the next day. Otherwise things get out of control.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:35 AM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
wish my garage was that organized... i was looking for my step drill bit and couldnt find em last night..

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your 6.0L today?