6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

So what did you do to your 6.0L today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2020, 09:56 PM
Modoc
Fleet Mechanic
Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts
All I did was go out and started it for the first time in a week. Ran it with varying throttle until it reached operating temp. No starting problems indications showing on the EDGE.

Old 03-29-2020, 12:19 PM
LONCO
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It’s been a couple of weeks, but, installed 2.5 inch Bilstein front lift (coils, adj trackbar, caster shims, and shocks) , rear 4.5” blocks to replace factory 2“ + Bilstein shocks. 285/75/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on 17x9 Raceline 887’s

Old 03-29-2020, 04:44 PM
martam2020
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile question about 2003 6.0L No start

Hello All, thank you for allowing me to be a member. I really appreciate it. After searching for several hours, I am not able to find a question similar to mine...so here goes: I own a 2003 Ford F350 with a deleted 6.0L engine. At first, the truck when it got warm wouldn't start. I would let it cool down 5-15 minutes, then it would start. At first, as long as I didnt turn it off, it would keep running. A friend of mine (diesel mechanic) suggested we hook up air to the system to search for leaks thru the ICP (he had all the tools). We tore the top of the engine down and found a leak in the "o" ring in the stand tube on the drivers side...so we replaced all the "o" rings we could find (excluding the HP oil pump one. He pressured up the ICP and voila (no leaks were heard. We reassembled and I drove it home, but still when warm it cant seem to keep the ICP pressure after it runs for a bit. We put a tester on the connector under the dash (great pressure while running) but then when warm, could only produce 200 psi. After using it for a week or so, all of a sudden now it stops running totally while driving, and wont start until it cools again. My friend tried a new FICM, this did not fix the problem. So I am not sure what to do now. What else could this be? Can someone PLEASE PLEASE help?? I'd really appreciate it.My friend read it could be an injector problem, but they're very expensive to try so I would like to be sure. Is there any other way of testing the system to indicate what it is, and if injectors ...which one(s)?
THANK YOU ALL SO SO MUCH!!!!
Mark
martam03@shaw.ca

PS. I hope I posted this correctly!

Old 03-29-2020, 06:46 PM
namnguye
Laughing Gas
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by LONCO
It’s been a couple of weeks, but, installed 2.5 inch Bilstein front lift (coils, adj trackbar, caster shims, and shocks) , rear 4.5” blocks to replace factory 2“ + Bilstein shocks. 285/75/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on 17x9 Raceline 887’s
Very nice! If you're upgrading the mud flap, send the old ones to me :-)

Old 03-29-2020, 06:49 PM
namnguye
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by martam2020
Hello All, thank you for allowing me to be a member. I really appreciate it. After searching for several hours, I am not able to find a question similar to mine...so here goes: I own a 2003 Ford F350 with a deleted 6.0L engine. At first, the truck when it got warm wouldn't start. I would let it cool down 5-15 minutes, then it would start. At first, as long as I didnt turn it off, it would keep running. A friend of mine (diesel mechanic) suggested we hook up air to the system to search for leaks thru the ICP (he had all the tools). We tore the top of the engine down and found a leak in the "o" ring in the stand tube on the drivers side...so we replaced all the "o" rings we could find (excluding the HP oil pump one. He pressured up the ICP and voila (no leaks were heard. We reassembled and I drove it home, but still when warm it cant seem to keep the ICP pressure after it runs for a bit. We put a tester on the connector under the dash (great pressure while running) but then when warm, could only produce 200 psi. After using it for a week or so, all of a sudden now it stops running totally while driving, and wont start until it cools again. My friend tried a new FICM, this did not fix the problem. So I am not sure what to do now. What else could this be? Can someone PLEASE PLEASE help?? I'd really appreciate it.My friend read it could be an injector problem, but they're very expensive to try so I would like to be sure. Is there any other way of testing the system to indicate what it is, and if injectors ...which one(s)?
Mark
martam03@shaw.ca

I would continue to check the pressure out when hot to find leaky orings. There are many orings that can be leaked. Also, check IPR screen. Check your ICP sensor (unplug and see if you can start the truck hot). All else, replace the high pressure pump.

Old 03-29-2020, 06:56 PM
Visurveyor
Fleet Mechanic
Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts
Mark
martam03@shaw.ca

I think it would be a good subject to start a new post. You will get more answers.

Old 03-29-2020, 10:25 PM
ScotF150
Mountain Pass
I replaced the transmission pan & filter with the newer version. I also replaced the EPC and SSPC-D solenoids. Not a difficult job but I did get a tranny fluid bath. I hate it when that happens....
Scott

Old 03-30-2020, 10:20 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 329 Likes on 173 Posts
Mark
martam03@shaw.ca

Make sure and start your own thread, however, if it only stalls when hot, I would suspect the IPR especially if it doesn't have a heat shield.

Old 03-30-2020, 01:14 PM
LONCO
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by namnguye
Very nice! If you're upgrading the mud flap, send the old ones to me :-)
I wish I had known. My dad tore off one and I just (Thursday) threw the other three away.

Old 03-31-2020, 07:47 AM
bilter
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just finished installing new Bilstein shocks all around. Truck is an 05. Original shocks here in Maine. Had to cut the top mount off the front shocks to remove them, ended up buying a high torque Milwaukee M18 fuel impact to remove the other bolts. soaking with kroil for 2 days, a breaker bar with a pipe extension still wouldn't budge! The impact removed them like they were brand new bolts.

Old 03-31-2020, 09:02 AM
namnguye
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by LONCO
I wish I had known. My dad tore off one and I just (Thursday) threw the other three away.
Thank you! I was only joking seeing it missing on the second picture.

Old 03-31-2020, 07:49 PM
namnguye
Laughing Gas
Today I am working on a redesign of a remote oil sender adapter.
Before, I made it with the OEM oil filter housing. It was oily cast aluminum that welding it was a crazy problem and I kept having tiny leak.
Hopefully, remade this with steel will make the welding much easier, quicker and leak free.
I imagine this can be 3D printed also if made correctly. Probably the hardest part would be the two oil ports, which needs to be strong enough not to be broken with 3D printed parts.

Old 04-05-2020, 02:06 AM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Well , all I did was put the cab back on the chassis, and put the heads in the back of the truck , I’m sad to say my 6.0 hog hauler is dead, being sold as a mechanics special if any takers , Northern California , I’ll even toss in the scan gauge , stock rims and caps , The New and improved Hog hauler has arrived , just in the nic of Time , 2019 6.7 ccsb 4x , Xlt Diesel , ohhhh yea no comparison , sorry I let you all down , but I just couldn’t do it anymore .

Old 04-05-2020, 02:14 AM
Euroman
Senior User
Received 417 Likes on 134 Posts
Looking through the work I've done on the truck I realized it's been a while since changing the oil filters. Top one was easy, dirty but nowhere near nasty, bottom one just didn't want to turn, had to back it out slowly to keep the force down. That one was pretty clean. Premium diesel does have advantages.
Also, zero water in the drain, presumably due to the bio-diesel we have, but maybe also the high turnover at the pumps.
Also charged the batteries. Thanks to corona I haven't used it for nearly 3 weeks.

Old 04-05-2020, 11:32 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,486 Posts
Originally Posted by 04badford

Well , all I did was put the cab back on the chassis, and put the heads in the back of the truck , I’m sad to say my 6.0 hog hauler is dead, being sold as a mechanics special if any takers , Northern California , I’ll even toss in the scan gauge , stock rims and caps , The New and improved Hog hauler has arrived , just in the nic of Time , 2019 6.7 ccsb 4x , Xlt Diesel , ohhhh yea no comparison , sorry I let you all down , but I just couldn’t do it anymore .
What brought you to that decision?

You are not letting anyone down, no one walks in another’s shoes. Enjoy the new ride!

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your 6.0L today?