1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Build Thread: '49 F321

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 09:14 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
Jeff,
When I was fabricating my power steering pressure line I needed to go from a saginaw pump with standard fitting to my Toyota box with metric fittings.
At the wrecking yard I found a metric hose that had a male fitting on one end that went into the box and a female end that connected to a hard line that went to a the pump.
I took my standard fitting hard line and cut off one end, slipped on a metric male fitting and then made a double flare. That being down I was able to connect it to the rubber portion of the line.
I used a slit beam and clamp type double flare tool on the steel line. Yea, I know that type of flare tool is best suited for brake lines, tranny cooler lines etc and not the thicker, harder power steering lines but I took it slow and careful and I was able to make my "el cheapo" tool work. It was probably a fluke, but it worked.

Bobby

Old 01-06-2014, 09:45 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
Jeff,
When I was fabricating my power steering pressure line I needed to go from a saginaw pump with standard fitting to my Toyota box with metric fittings.
At the wrecking yard I found a metric hose that had a male fitting on one end that went into the box and a female end that connected to a hard line that went to a the pump.
I took my standard fitting hard line and cut off one end, slipped on a metric male fitting and then made a double flare. That being down I was able to connect it to the rubber portion of the line.
I used a slit beam and clamp type double flare tool on the steel line. Yea, I know that type of flare tool is best suited for brake lines, tranny cooler lines etc and not the thicker, harder power steering lines but I took it slow and careful and I was able to make my "el cheapo" tool work. It was probably a fluke, but it worked.

Bobby
Fluke? no...I just don't have the "touch"

It's nice to know that the power steering line is doable at home!

Old 01-07-2014, 05:56 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Jeff great to see you back at home and under your truck. Just keep moving forward.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:44 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
Jeff - I have no clue what all that modern looking stuff is in your truck, but am glad you know what to do with it. And am glad you're able to be back at it. Stu

Old 01-07-2014, 09:50 AM
homade
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jeff, looking good man, I know it won't be long now, patiently waiting.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:57 AM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by truckdog62563
Jeff - I have no clue what all that modern looking stuff is in your truck, but am glad you know what to do with it. And am glad you're able to be back at it. Stu
Stu, I know it's hard for you to sugar coat your true thoughts!
But thanks!

Originally Posted by homade
Jeff, looking good man, I know it won't be long now, patiently waiting.
Me too Garry! I am feeling the pressure...kinda freakin me out.
Are there counselors for this kind of thing?

Does Doc handle this kind of disease? Is that why he is here?

Old 01-07-2014, 07:44 PM
sturtzs'51
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, glad to see it beginning to look like a truck! You'll be cruisin' this summer for sure. And if that wiring starts to get you down, give me a buzz, I got that wiring stuff down pat......see picture. Had it running this weekend. And check out the AC unit I picked up.

Attached Images    
Old 01-07-2014, 09:02 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by sturtzs'51
Hey, glad to see it beginning to look like a truck! You'll be cruisin' this summer for sure. And if that wiring starts to get you down, give me a buzz, I got that wiring stuff down pat......see picture. Had it running this weekend. And check out the AC unit I picked up.
Hey Mr Sturtz! Looking good! I really like those blue spark plug wires too!

The only cruisin I will be doin this summer is the company 4x4 on a soon-to-be
stretch of highway...

Old 01-07-2014, 09:26 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Jeff,
Good to see you progressing. I really like the fiberglass fender route.
After we took a hard look at our bondo fenders we went that route too.
I figure you saved a month per fender easy of welding, grinding, sanding, etc.

If you are installing the electric stuff - You stand a good chance of getting it running by summer. We aren't aiming for perfection here - just forward movement & stopping.

Looking good over there - stay warm.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 01-07-2014, 10:12 PM
sturtzs'51
New User
How long until you go back into the trenches? Hope you get a least a few months before they send you back. It'll go faster after you get the beast running.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:39 AM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by sturtzs'51
How long until you go back into the trenches? Hope you get a least a few months before they send you back. It'll go faster after you get the beast running.
I would have to guess March-April...all I know for sure is...It will be here faster than I want it to be...

edit: BTW...that a/c unit looks pretty cool! (no pun intended)

If you find another a/c unit that hangs under the dash, my sister says you have to get it for me!

Old 01-08-2014, 08:54 AM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by ben73058
Hey Jeff,
Good to see you progressing. I really like the fiberglass fender route.
After we took a hard look at our bondo fenders we went that route too.
I figure you saved a month per fender easy of welding, grinding, sanding, etc.

If you are installing the electric stuff - You stand a good chance of getting it running by summer. We aren't aiming for perfection here - just forward movement & stopping.

Looking good over there - stay warm.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1
Thanks Ben!

Old 01-08-2014, 11:36 AM
ChuckRob
Elder User
The truck is looking good Jeff, glad to see your back at it.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:08 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Jeff,
I'm not sure if it happens to everyone but there came a point in our build where I just threw in the towel & said I need to take the shortest route to the end zone or I'm never going to get done. At that point:

o I gave up on dual exhaust out the back & went with side exit. (Duals out the back was made more difficult due to gas tank relocation).

o I gave up on EFI & just stuck a nice Carb on our 351W. Eliminating the need for computers, wiring harness nightmare, & in tank fuel pump, etc.

o I bought smaller tires up front to eliminate rubbing problem and other suspension issues and I stayed with my son's wheel selection instead of getting more desirable wheels.

o We sprayed the interior with bedliner & will do a fancy interior later.

o We stayed with a bench seat instead of buckets. Manual windows, etc.
Horn button went on the dash instead of taking the steering column apart again.

o Fiberglass fenders vs taking months to fix the horrible bondo originals.

o I told my painter to just paint it - I like the dents - don't make it perfect. it's 60 years old it's part of the charm.

Summary:
I think what I'm trying to say Jeff is if you are at that point. Take the most direct path to the end zone. Simplify your build plan to "Just get her done".
If it's a choice between complicated & simple - take simple. You may have to hire out some of the work to finish while you are busting it building highways. (You can always circle back later to tweak things to your liking).

Good luck over there Jeff.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 01-08-2014, 03:05 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Harrier
Jeff great to see you back at home and under your truck. Just keep moving forward.
Thanks Joe!

Originally Posted by ChuckRob
The truck is looking good Jeff, glad to see your back at it.
Thanks Chuck!

Originally Posted by ben73058
Hey Jeff,
I'm not sure if it happens to everyone but there came a point in our build where I just threw in the towel & said I need to take the shortest route to the end zone or I'm never going to get done.Not there yet, but I whine alot!

At that point:

o I gave up on dual exhaust out the back & went with side exit. (Duals out the back was made more difficult due to gas tank relocation). Already plan to run it out the side.

o I gave up on EFI & just stuck a nice Carb on our 351W. Eliminating the need for computers, wiring harness nightmare, & in tank fuel pump, etc.
It's the the challenge that drives me!
o I bought smaller tires up front to eliminate rubbing problem and other suspension issues and I stayed with my son's wheel selection instead of getting more desirable wheels.

o We sprayed the interior with bedliner & will do a fancy interior later.

o We stayed with a bench seat instead of buckets. Manual windows, etc.
Horn button went on the dash instead of taking the steering column apart again.

o Fiberglass fenders vs taking months to fix the horrible bondo originals.

o I told my painter to just paint it - I like the dents - don't make it perfect. it's 60 years old it's part of the charm. I'm also not to worried about a "perfect" finish, but nice enough is my way.

Summary:
I think what I'm trying to say Jeff is if you are at that point. Take the most direct path to the end zone. Simplify your build plan to "Just get her done".
If it's a choice between complicated & simple - take simple. You may have to hire out some of the work to finish while you are busting it building highways. (You can always circle back later to tweak things to your liking).

Good luck over there Jeff.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1
My big goal with my build, is to do it myself or it's not going to happen.

I have been working on automotive crap since I was 15. Both for myself and for others, learning and improving, still learning and improving. I was ready to put my years of experience on the table for my own benefit. I have never paid anyone to do any labor for me. The main goal for my truck is to be done by nobody else. Just for my satisfaction. One day I will be asked,"who did this or that?" I will tell them it was me. It may not be perfect but it will be mine, built, bought, and paid for, by the same fingers, typing this post.
If it takes 5-10 more years, then so be it! I will just continue to enjoy the build, friendship, and knowledge of you great people!

This may be a bit lengthy and I hope you don't feel offended in anyway.
Please believe me when I say that. And to boot, I may change my mind tomorrow.

It's just another link in my chain of life!

Quick Reply: Build Thread: '49 F321