Odometer test codes

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 07:16 PM
nascarscrew
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Odometer test codes

Hi all, I have done searches for the odo test codes, but most appear to reference codes for 2002 or before.

http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/News/99hec.htm

So my question is; are the codes the same for all 97-03 trucks ? The reason I'm asking is I saw codes that don't match either of the reference points above.

br 133 (fluctuating)
p"x" all showed a reading except pe1,5,6 (000)
ALTF --

Then these code readings didn't match up to above references
dtc 5284 (implies Oil Switch Failure)
Oil 000 (indicates acceptable reading ?)
CR - h (should be -L if it's running, right ?)

Can anyone shed some light on this ?

Thanks,
Nascarscrew

Old 08-09-2003, 08:21 PM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Odometer test codes

Why dont you start by telling us what model and year you own. And what you are trying to diagnose.

Old 08-10-2003, 04:12 PM
nascarscrew
New User
Odometer test codes

Sorry, I keep forgetting you guys can't read my mind

Anyway, I have a 2003 4x2 Supercrew XLT w/5.4L & auto tranny. I saw a posting earlier showing how to run the odo code test. When I tried it I saw the codes mentioned ealier that weren't referenced anywhere.

I don't have an issue......just want to learn as much about this as possible.

The funny thing was I was speaking with my local dealer service mgr and he had never heard of this test. Oh well, hope his techs are more knowledgable then he is.

Thanks,
nascarscrew

Last edited by nascarscrew; 08-10-2003 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-10-2003, 05:07 PM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
Odometer test codes

Well I would hope so, since many service managers are strictly business men who never turned a wrench for a living.

But honestly, I have rarely ever needed to pull codes from the cluster. What I need to know I can find out with NGS, WDS, and pinpoint tests as well as service messages 99 percent of the time.

But just for you here are the 2003 F150 codes

Instrument Cluster Dealer Test Mode

To enter the Instrument Cluster Dealer Test Mode, depress and hold the instrument cluster SELECT/RESET button and then turn the ignition switch to the RUN position. Continue pressing the SELECT/RESET button (five seconds) until tESt is displayed in the odometer. The SELECT/RESET button must be released within three seconds of the odometer displaying tESt to begin the dealer test mode. Depress the SELECT/RESET button to advance through the following steps until dtc is displayed. Depressing the SELECT/RESET button will display any continuous DTCs stored before proceeding to the next step.

Odometer Display Description
GAGE Activates gauge sweep of all gauges, then displays present gauge values. Also carries out the checksum tests on ROM and EE.
All segments illuminated Illuminates all odometer segments.
bulb Illuminates all micro-controlled lamps and LEDs (low oil pressure/high coolant temperature, low fuel, service engine soon, brake, low range). Install a new bulb or LED as necessary.
r Returns to normal operation of all micro-controlled lamps and LEDs and displays hexadecimal value for ROM level (used when requesting assistance from the hotline).
EE Displays hexadecimal value for EE level (used when requesting assistance from the hotline).
dt Displays hexadecimal coding of final manufacturing test date (used when requesting assistance from the hotline).
dtc Displays continuous DTCs. Pressing the SELECT/RESET button will display any DTCs stored before proceeding to the next step.
enG Displays the speed in mph. Speedometer will indicate present speed within tolerances. Display will show 0 if input is not received, if input received is invalid for one second or more, or if speed is 0.
m Displays the speed data (mph) received from the PCM via the SCP network. Displays the metric speed in kph. Speedometer will indicate present speed within tolerances. Display will show 0 if input is not received, if input received is invalid for one second or more, or if speed is 0.
tAc Displays the tachometer data received from the PCM via the SCP network. Tachometer will indicate present speed within tolerances. Display will show 0 if input is not received, if input received is invalid for one second or more, or if engine rpm is 0.
FUEL Displays the actual A/D fuel level. The fuel gauge will display a filtered fuel level value. This filter will keep the pointer from moving suddenly or erratically. If the value displayed is between 0 and 20, the circuit is shorted. Go To Pinpoint Test B.
255=open send +/-0
232=Full stop +/-10
215=Full mark +/-10
178=3/4 mark +/-8
138=1/2 mark +/-7
93=1/4 mark +/-5
41=E mark +/-4
54="LOW FUEL" (0-59)
0-18=short (0-20 max.)

OIL Displays the code (0-255) for the oil pressure switch input to the instrument cluster. Displays the oil pressure reading input to the instrument cluster. Oil pressure gauge will indicate present oil pressure. Normal oil pressure (greater than 6 psi) will display a value between 000 and 176. A low oil pressure (less than 6 psi) or an inoperative engine oil pressure switch will display a value greater than 176.
dEGC Display of engine temperature in Degrees C input from cylinder head temperature sensor. If the value displayed is -40C, the SCP message for engine temperature has not been received for more than 5 seconds. Go To Pinpoint Test E.
49 C="C" mark
60 C=Normal band start
120 C=Normal band end
119 C=Temperature warning indicator ON
"-40" C=No SCP Message for 5 sec

br Displays the brake fluid level input to the instrument cluster.
bAtt Displays the code (0-255) battery voltage input to the instrument cluster. Battery voltage gauge will indicate present battery voltage.
93-102=6.9-9.1 volts (low voltage)
115-124=8.5-10.7 volts (norm band start)
215-225=15.8-18 volts (norm band end)
230-241=16.9-19.1 volts (high voltage)

rhEo Displays the present hexadecimal value for the instrument cluster backlighting pulse width modulated (PWM) input to the instrument cluster (used when requesting assistance from the hotline).
rhi
rhS
rho PWM input duty cycle.
SCP hexadecimal dimming step (used when requesting assistance from the hotline).
Output driver counts in hexadecimal format (used when requesting assistance from the hotline).
Cr Displays the present RUN/START sense input. Display will show -L with the ignition switch in the START position and -h with the ignition switch in the RUN position.
ALtFa Displays 8-bit hexadecimal value for alternate fuel level. Display will show a value between OO and FF if the message is received.
PA-PE7 Not used.
GAGE Repeats test display cycle.

a Refer to 413-01B (F250 only).

Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position or press and hold the SELECT/RESET button for three or more seconds and release to exit Instrument Cluster Dealer Test Mode. If no DTCs related to the concern are retrieved, proceed to the Symptom Chart to continue diagnostics.

Instrument Cluster Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Index DTC Description Source Action
B1202 Fuel Sender Open Instrument Cluster Go To Pinpoint Test B.
B1204 Fuel Sender Short to Ground Instrument Cluster Go To Pinpoint Test B.
B1342 ECU is Defective Instrument Cluster CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test. If DTC B1342, INSTALL a new instrument cluster; REFER to Instrument Cluster in this section. CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test.
B2143 Odometer NVM Memory Failure Instrument Cluster INSTALL a new instrument cluster; REFER to Instrument Cluster in this section. CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test.
C1284 Oil Pressure Switch Failure Instrument Cluster Go To Pinpoint Test D.
P1197 SELECT/RESET Switch Circuit Failure Instrument Cluster INSTALL a new instrument cluster; REFER to Instrument Cluster in this section. CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test.
U1027 SCP (J1850) Invalid or Missing Data for Engine RPM PCM REFER to Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) manual.
U1041 SCP (J1850) Invalid or Missing Data for Vehicle Speed PCM REFER to Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) manual.
U1073 SCP (J1850) Invalid or Missing Data for Engine Coolant PCM REFER to Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) manual.
U1123 SCP (J1850) Invalid or Missing Data for Odometer PCM REFER to Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) manual.
U1131 SCP (J1850) Invalid or Missing Data for Fuel System AFCM REFER to Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) manual.
U1132 SCP (J1850) Invalid or Missing Data for Odometer PCM REFER to Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) manual.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:26 PM
jstn_story
New User
4.2 fault codes?

i know this is an old post and am hoping your knowledge is still on hand. i was curious if the codes are similar for the 04 heritage w/4.2. i found a dry rotted hose running from the passenger side valve cover to the iac which was creating a rough idle and slight hesitation, sounded more like i had a nasty cam in it from how lopy it would get when it was warming up and cool temperature outside. so fixed that problem and idles fairly smooth for the most part but still sounds like the timing is off just a hair because i can hear it detonating through the air filter very lightly. but after my fix i pulled off the negative cable for a couple hours and the ses light was off as expected but came back on after about ten miles. and one more thing is that when i take it to advance and borrow the code scanner it comes back with nothing like the computer has no fault codes. if you could just let me know what you think about the codes if there are just a few different and the rest are generic then dont worry about the generics. if there is any other information you need just ask and i will get back with you.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:05 PM
jstn_story
New User
4.2 test codes results

the first set of codes is with key on engine off...

gage- all operational
bulb- all operational
r 53
ee 01
dt 7025
dtcd 262
eng 000.0
m 000.0
tach 0000
fuel 064
oil 255
degc 077
br 129
batt 154
rheo
rh. 000?
rhs ff
rho 3e0
cr -he
altf --

now with the truck running and at about 160-180 degrees they are as follows...

gage- operational
bulb-operational
r 53
ee 01
dt 7025
dtcd 262
eng 000.0
m 000.0
tach- idling at about 900 rpm's
fuel 064
oil 000
degc 079
br 129
batt 180
rheo 000
rh. 000?
rhs ff
rho 3eo
cr -h
altf --

i ran through what i could with the post you had up but i am sure a lot of the figures are different. please let me know if there is something up with my truck its my 116,000 mile baby that keeps running strong.

Old 03-26-2019, 07:19 PM
Rick Deis
New User
Thanks for the Dealer codes. You said "PA-PE7 Not used" but my 2001 F150 displays PA @54 off and 44 while running, P6 @19, PC @A2, Pd @3b, PE0 @ 148 when off and 185 while running, PE1 @000, PE2 @ 152, PE3 @129, PE4 @ 255, PE5 @ 000, PE6 @ 255 while off & 000 running and PE7 @ 255
Can you expand on what these codes are showing? My 5.4L experiences a not start condition when the winter weather gets cold but starts fine in the spring when it warms up. I've been researching possible reasons.

Old 03-26-2019, 07:31 PM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
I posted that in 2003, Ive forgotten more than I remember now. None of those instrument cluster codes would find the problem you are seeking though. You need to have a diagnostic monitor on it when it is failing. It could be something as simple as a PATS transciever going bad, or a relay bad
or water intrusion in the fusebox, or many, many other intermittent faults caused by poor connections/corrosion. The NGS/WDS systems have been replaced multiple times over the years and they are no longer even usable diagnostic tools today. An 18 year old truck, it could be many possible faults. Next time it fails to start is a good time to tow it to a dealer for a good diagnostic if you dont know a well experienced technician.

Old 03-27-2019, 10:36 AM
Rick Deis
New User
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately today I don't know any mechanic's who use old time trouble shooting techniques. Only 2 garages in town and today it seems the just want to replace components. Took it in and they wanted to drop the tank and replace the fuel pump ($680.00); they said that no codes came up on the OBD2. I didn't need it for the winter so parked it thinking this spring I would do a bit of trouble shooting myself. Started when the temp got up to about 50 f and runs fine now but the exhaust fumes seem quite intense. My son will be out in May and will bring his OBD2 if I haven't found the problem by then. I changed the relay and will do the fuel filter today. Can't find the Fuel pump driver module on my vehicle which seems to be a common no start problem (just the fuel vapor seperator on the frame in front of the spare). Was looking for an exploded view of the 5.4 but unsuccessful. Will educate myself viewing a few youtube videos and reading postings and check a few electronic components and look for vapor leaks. Wish me luck.

Old 03-27-2019, 04:43 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,715 Likes on 1,387 Posts
If you think it is running rich, why not test the fuel pressure on the fuel rail? There are several reasons it may be too high, and that can cause it to run rich.

Old 03-27-2019, 11:28 PM
Rick Deis
New User
Thanks for the input Dave. What might be the reasons why a fuel mixture is too rich ?
After changing the fuel filter the 2001 F150 5.4L SOCH-EFI Supercab 2WD decided she didn't want to start; fired but died instantly 3 times before I quit. Don't have a fuel gauge but am picking up a OBD2 friday so I'll see what codes she puts out. May have to buy a fuel gauge also. Funny thing though is my key fob has been acting up lately and sometimes it works to unlock the doors and sometimes nothing (battery is good) . Sure hope it isn't the anti theft acting up. I'll post Friday when I have some diagnostic tools.

Old 03-28-2019, 05:46 AM
Franklin2
Your fuel pressure regulator could be bad. It could be leaking. The vacuum line may be off or cracked.

Old 03-31-2019, 12:28 AM
Rick Deis
New User
Picked up a INNOVA OBD2 and a fuel pressure gauge as I'm determined to find the reason for my F150's no-start. Well it did it again; ran down the battery trying to get it going. Once charged I hooked up the OBD reader and so far no codes (No Powertrain DTC's or Freeze Frame Data is presently stored in the vehicles computer). Misfire monitoring, Fuel system Monitoring and Comprehensive Component Monitoring checked out fine with Catalyst, Evaporative System, Oxygen Sensor, Oxygen Sensor Heater and EGR System monitoring PENDING. I charged the battery and tested the fuel pressure hooking to the shraeder valve and the pressure read 0 lbs when I turn the key to the on position. After several attempts it finally started and the fuel pressure jumped to 30lbs. Reving the engine the pressure jumps up to 40 and then back to 30. When I shut it off the pressure gradually rises from 30 to 40 . Started it several times over the next 8 hours and all was good til the following day when it again quickly cranked but no start. Temperature last night dipped below freezing and this afternoon I tried to restart it (50f) but it wouldn't go. Putting the key in the on position effects a click in the relay but I couldn't hear the fuel pump engage. Several more attempts I get good cranking but no start. So once the temp got to about 55 it started. Took it out for a test spin and it ran just fine. Did the OBD again and this time it completed the Oxygen Sensor & Sensor Heater monitoring but still no DTC's. Below are the results. I'm thinking that maybe the colder weather affects a contact wire somewhere? So any thoughts appreciated. Lucky I'm retired and enjoy learing new things.

Monitor Status

Monitor Name
Monitor Icon
Status
MIL (Check Engine Light)

OFF

Misfire Monitoring

Complete

Fuel System Monitoring

Complete

Comprehensive Component Monitoring

Complete

Catalyst Monitoring

Not complete

Heated Catalyst Monitoring

Not Supported

Evaporative System Monitoring

Not complete

NMHC Monitoring

Not Supported

NOxAdsorber Monitoring

Not Supported

Secondary Air System Monitoring

Not Supported

Oxygen Sensor Monitoring

Complete

Oxygen Sensor Heater Monitoring

Complete

EGR System Monitoring

Not complete

Boost Pressure System Monitoring

Not Supported

Exhaust Gas Sensor Monitoring

Not Supported

PM Filter Monitoring

Not Supported

Old 03-31-2019, 07:42 AM
Franklin2
It's easy to get buried in all the wiring and electronics of these trucks, it's happened to me before. It could simply be a bad fuel pump like the garage said couldn't it? You didn't have fuel pressure and then you did. If you can get the fuel out of the tank you can change the pump yourself.

A good mechanic told me if your vehicle will not start and you suspect the fuel pump, you can go back and beat on the bottom of the tank and it will usually start working and get you home.

Old 04-22-2020, 05:30 AM
Brandy Taber-Herbert
New User
Digital odometer codes

when pressing reset button on odometer 2000 ford f150 triton, a code pops up. T13, t07, T00...what do they mean?

Quick Reply: Odometer test codes