6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Additives causing damages to HPFP?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 09:37 AM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ford 716
That last sentence....opinion or fact? All Ford says is like your first sentence .........."provided they meet or exceed Ford specifications". Just because they don't specifically say it on the bottle doesn't mean they don't meet or far exceed Ford specs. And of course Ford is going to tell you to use their product if you are going to use an additive, you think they will tell you to use GMs?

Like you said, opinions mean zero.

Read your owners manual, "fact" Ford does not want you using emulsifiers, some of the elixirs in the lubricity study have emulsifiers. Now my opinion is it's not Fords job to evaluate all these additives to see if their beneficial or harmful.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:47 AM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
kind of off topic but here is some reading on wax dropout....

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...schaeffer.html

Old 02-19-2012, 10:20 AM
cford716
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ljutic ss
Read your owners manual, "fact" Ford does not want you using emulsifiers, some of the elixirs in the lubricity study have emulsifiers. Now my opinion is it's not Fords job to evaluate all these additives to see if their beneficial or harmful.
Your last post has nothing to do with what we are talking about.......emulsifiers do not meet Ford specs and therefore are not to be used, that was never in question.

I have read the manual several times, its actually on my computer and was referring to it each time I was posting. For those who want to read the actual section on this it is page 25 of the Diesel supp.

1) You said "Ford does not recommend any fuel additive that they have no control of ". Any, means all, and that is not accurate. If it meets Fords specs it is ok per the manual.

2) If it is an emulsifier then it does NOT meet their specs, do not use it, I never questioned this.

3) Ford does not need to evaluate all the additives, someone already else did. I wouldn't trust it even if they did. Would have to come from an independent group. (If they chose not to be included, oh well)

I was very clear in my original post what was fact and what was my opinion. You were very quick to reply "opinions mean zero", and I agree.

To be honest, no dis-respect, I could care less what you use in your truck. But don't give out misinformation with a blanket statement like that.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:22 AM
bnmccoy
Elder User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The whole issue with Rick's truck and others kept me on the fence; however, I stuck with Ford and bought new truck Wednesday.

Time heals wounds and not that I have had any issue with anything Rick has said I feel he should be given a break.

Most just want to know what the best way is to do the best for our trucks.

Back on topic with respect to additives and coatings. I started using PS DK back with my 95 Chevy 6.5 TD looking for economy improvement; it might of helped but was minimal so I did not use it regulary. I had a Line-X spray in bed liner, the bottle fell over once and leaked on the Line-X and stained it. Gasoline and other stuff never did anything to the Line-X. I know the formulation has changed since but I still remember what it did to my Line-X. Now I wonder what it could do to the 'wear coating' or even components in the fuel tank; Ford actually cautions about same with over use of additives and fuel tank.

I read the exact same thing that was posted in new manual a few days ago; the problem is where are the Ford specifications for PM22A or is there a number somewhere. I agree that if the manufacturer's can't state they meet the Ford specification it is cause of concern for me.

I had used the PS DK or white bottle in my 08 since day one. Primarily initially for EGR soot protection; yet I read somewhere yesterday that it is speculated that fuel was reformulated or something because EGR soot blockage had all but disappeared.

I think PM22A is in the future for the new truck unless PS can confirm they meet the Ford specification.

What we should all be doing is sending our legislators letters requesting the US standards be raised for diesel fuel to the Europe standard.

Bob

Old 02-19-2012, 12:30 PM
bnmccoy
Elder User

http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricant...ed/US_MSDS.pdf

Control F or Search for: PM-22 or FIR No.:

60-100 % Concentration
HYDROTREATED LIGHT
DISTILLATE (PETROLEUM)

0.1-1 % Concentration
NAPHTHALENE

0.1-1 % Concentration
1,2,4-TRIMETHYLBENZENE

CHEMTREC

Old 02-19-2012, 12:40 PM
bnmccoy
Elder User

http://www.powerservice.com/msds/pdf...011-1-2011.pdf

PS Diesel Kleen
scroll down to page 5 and can get an idea of what, but not concentration

Ethylbenzene
Naphthalene
Xylene
Petroleum Distillates
Cumene

Shipping info also lists:
Marine Pollutant (2-Ethylhexyl Nitrate)

Section 313 of the document mentions the possible maximum concentrations and says exact is secret.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:53 PM
bnmccoy
Elder User

Material Safety Data Sheets - Stanadyne

Lists Chemtrec as an emergency contact just like the PM-22A

Performance Formula

30-50 % w/w
Distillates, petroleum, hydrotreated light

20-30 % w/w
2-Ethylhexyl nitrate

10-30 % w/w
Naphtha (petroleum), heavy aromatic

3-7 % w/w
Ethylene glycol monobutyl ether

1-5 % w/w
Trimethylbenzene (mixed)

1-3 % w/w
Naphthalene

0.1-0.6 % w/w
1,2,4-Trimethylbenzene

Old 02-19-2012, 12:57 PM
bnmccoy
Elder User

Who is Chemtrec?

CHEMTREC History - A Timeline

Best I can tell they just manage to be a contact for MSDS customers of chemicals. I don't think they manufacture anything. But I might be wrong. Got to hit the road and right now a chance to drive the new truck is much more fun

Old 02-19-2012, 01:00 PM
Smoke2008
Senior User
This is some data ...anymore questions that cannot be answered with this...call them they are very helpful when it comes to explaining how benenficial their product is.

Diesel Fuel Improver
Diesel Fuel Improver

Old 02-19-2012, 01:07 PM
cford716
Elder User
Originally Posted by Smoke2008
This is some data ...anymore questions that cannot be answered with this...call them they are very helpful when it comes to explaining how benenficial their product is.

Diesel Fuel Improver
Diesel Fuel Improver

I emailed them and asked specifically about meeting Ford specs. I will post what reply I get.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:41 PM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cford716
Your last post has nothing to do with what we are talking about.......emulsifiers do not meet Ford specs and therefore are not to be used, that was never in question.

I have read the manual several times, its actually on my computer and was referring to it each time I was posting. For those who want to read the actual section on this it is page 25 of the Diesel supp.

1) You said "Ford does not recommend any fuel additive that they have no control of ". Any, means all, and that is not accurate. If it meets Fords specs it is ok per the manual.

2) If it is an emulsifier then it does NOT meet their specs, do not use it, I never questioned this.

3) Ford does not need to evaluate all the additives, someone already else did. I wouldn't trust it even if they did. Would have to come from an independent group. (If they chose not to be included, oh well)

I was very clear in my original post what was fact and what was my opinion. You were very quick to reply "opinions mean zero", and I agree.

To be honest, no dis-respect, I could care less what you use in your truck. But don't give out misinformation with a blanket statement like that.

Ford buys their PM22 from a company and it meets Ford approval to use it as a Ford diesel owner. Don't you think if the maker of PM22 decided to chaned their ingredients for any reason, they would have to get Fords approval before supplying future shipments? Thats called control. P.S. whos the person that evaluated all those products?

Old 02-19-2012, 03:55 PM
cford716
Elder User
Originally Posted by ljutic ss
Ford buys their PM22 from a company and it meets Ford approval to use it as a Ford diesel owner. Don't you think if the maker of PM22 decided to chaned their ingredients for any reason, they would have to get Fords approval before supplying future shipments? Thats called control. P.S. whos the person that evaluated all those products?
I have to apologize because I have no idea where you are going with this one either. I never questioned the maker of PM22 or what they put in it. My point was that the manual, ie. Ford, does not prohibit the use of additives that meet or exceed Ford specs., that's all. Your statement of " Ford does not recommend any fuel additive that they have no control of " I think if not just incorrect, is misleading.

In regards to your last question, the report was copyrighted by: Copyright© The Diesel Place & A. D. Spicer.

METHOD:
An independent research firm was hired to do the laboratory work. The cost
of the research was paid for voluntarily by the participating additive
manufacturers. Declining to participate and pay for the research were the
following companies: Amsoil and Power Service. Because these are popular
products it was determined that they needed to be included in the study.
These products were tested using funds collected by diesel enthusiasts at
“dieselplace.com”. Additionally, unconventional additives such as 2-cycle oil
and used motor oil were tested for their abilities to aid in diesel fuel lubricity.
These were also paid for by members of “dieselplace.com”.

So, an independent research firm did the lab work.

Hope that helps.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:00 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Originally Posted by bnmccoy
The whole issue with Rick's truck and others kept me on the fence; however, I stuck with Ford and bought new truck Wednesday.

Time heals wounds and not that I have had any issue with anything Rick has said I feel he should be given a break.

Most just want to know what the best way is to do the best for our trucks.

Back on topic with respect to additives and coatings. I started using PS DK back with my 95 Chevy 6.5 TD looking for economy improvement; it might of helped but was minimal so I did not use it regulary. I had a Line-X spray in bed liner, the bottle fell over once and leaked on the Line-X and stained it. Gasoline and other stuff never did anything to the Line-X. I know the formulation has changed since but I still remember what it did to my Line-X. Now I wonder what it could do to the 'wear coating' or even components in the fuel tank; Ford actually cautions about same with over use of additives and fuel tank.

I read the exact same thing that was posted in new manual a few days ago; the problem is where are the Ford specifications for PM22A or is there a number somewhere. I agree that if the manufacturer's can't state they meet the Ford specification it is cause of concern for me.

I had used the PS DK or white bottle in my 08 since day one. Primarily initially for EGR soot protection; yet I read somewhere yesterday that it is speculated that fuel was reformulated or something because EGR soot blockage had all but disappeared.

I think PM22A is in the future for the new truck unless PS can confirm they meet the Ford specification.

What we should all be doing is sending our legislators letters requesting the US standards be raised for diesel fuel to the Europe standard.

Bob
Bob

Congratulations on the new truck

Regards

Old 02-20-2012, 05:38 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Honest question here, what's wrong with just adding 2oz of vegetable oil to a tank of fuel?

Maybe a good idea to go to simple things? Seems silly but if we could use lubricity without adding a long list of chemicals that may harm a coating on the metal surfaces then the issue is solved.

And what the heck, might as well keep the fire stoked.... Saying that no one is immune to the catastrophic HPFP failure is really no more significant than saying that the sun will set this evening. Anyone could start a thread and state that all 6.7 engines are not immune to turbo failure, and they would be correct.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:10 AM
lexustbs
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
What about gasoline or kerosene causing the DLC to wear off? At 30,000psi I would think gasoline could do some damage even in a small doseage. Could the tanker driver accidentally put some gas into the diesel? You bet. Or what about the tank running out of fuel and the pump being starved? Metal to metal contact with no lubrication, I would say that might cause the DLC to get knocked off.

But that is all to simple, we need some big time answers. No possible way it could be those two things I mentioned. Heck both of those possible scenarios would be the customers fault and that is not what we are trying to do. We have to pin this problem on Ford no matter what! Get out the leather whips boys, We goin on a hunt!

I would of tested my fuel, because I would hate to stone somebody to death if in fact it was my fault to begin with. Just saying......

Quick Reply: Additives causing damages to HPFP?