1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fluid film question

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 02:21 PM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
fluid film question

my new 250 arrived at the dealer yesterday and I'm going to pick it up thurs night. I plan on coating the underside with FF but have a question. We've had pretty crappy roads the last couple of days and even though the dealer is going to clean it up for me before delivery the underside of the truck will still get some salt residue on it during the drive home. Does anyone know if I spray FF over a less than clean surface if that will seal in the salt and cause worse problems? The rest of this week is going to be very cold and there is no way I'm going to attempt to wash the truck when I don't have a heated garage to park it in. Or should I just say the heck with it for now and wait until this spring to coat the underside? I'm really wishing I would've waited to order the truck so it came during nicer weather.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:33 PM
X1Lightning
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i would just apply it now, from what i can tell fluid film is just a spry on oil, so if you wash the underside of the truck its going to come off anyway.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:48 PM
mnpowerstroke99duty
Senior User
I don't know much about Fluid Film but if its like oil you should be fine. I sprayed the underside of my '99 with drain oil and its been washed a few times and still looks good.It hasn't washed off yet! I wish I would have done it for the last 12 years, maybe then I wouldn't have rust bubbles in my rear fenders coming through yet.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:55 PM
X1Lightning
Senior User
Originally Posted by mnpowerstroke99duty
I don't know much about Fluid Film but if its like oil you should be fine. I sprayed the underside of my '99 with drain oil and its been washed a few times and still looks good.It hasn't washed off yet! I wish I would have done it for the last 12 years, maybe then I wouldn't have rust bubbles in my rear fenders coming through yet.
what do you use for spraying your drain oil? I have always just brushed in on and that takes forever....

Old 01-29-2013, 04:19 PM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ziebart is the only way to go IMO. You just dropped many Ks on a new rig. I’d think $600 is a small price to pay for the protection offered by their process. Google it and read up.
I bought my 08 in 11 and it wasn’t originally undercoated. So some rust had already set in. They power wash the nooks & crannies. Dry it out. Then spray a rust converter/inhibitor inside everything; doors hood, those holes in the rockers, bed supports, tailgate inner etc...Then they spray the rubberized black coating over the chassis. The price includes an annual inspection & touch up as long as you own it.
IMO it’s the only way to save the metal from the harsh salt belt winters. Every now and then they run specials and you can get it for $500.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:24 PM
powerstroker100
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by X1Lightning
what do you use for spraying your drain oil? I have always just brushed in on and that takes forever....
I would like to know also

I always end up with it all over me trying to brush above my head

Old 01-29-2013, 05:52 PM
pbeering
Elder User
Apply the Fluid Film as soon as you can, then wash and reapply in the spring. Fluid Film is lanolin in suspension and it will protect on a microscopic level even after what you see is removed.

Feel free to PM or call for more.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:58 PM
powerstroker100
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by pbeering
Apply the Fluid Film as soon as you can, then wash and reapply in the spring. Fluid Film is lanolin in suspension and it will protect on a microscopic level even after what you see is removed.

Feel free to PM or call for more.
do you buy in spray cans

or buy in bulk and shoot it?

if you shoot it what kind of gun are you using

Old 01-29-2013, 07:11 PM
pbeering
Elder User
Originally Posted by powerstroker100
do you buy in spray cans

or buy in bulk and shoot it?

if you shoot it what kind of gun are you using
I am a distributor, so i have all flavors. Most of our customers apply the bulk with an undercoating gun and touch up with the spray can. It will spray through an airless gun too. The rattle can is recommended for battery terminals, plugs, and hinges since it will penetrate a bit due to the solvent used to allow it to spray.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:47 PM
powerstroker100
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by pbeering
I am a distributor, so i have all flavors. Most of our customers apply the bulk with an undercoating gun and touch up with the spray can. It will spray through an airless gun too. The rattle can is recommended for battery terminals, plugs, and hinges since it will penetrate a bit due to the solvent used to allow it to spray.
yeah I want to try the bulk with a gun.

I think I'm going to try shooting it with a cheapie harbor freight gun and see how it goes

Old 01-29-2013, 07:57 PM
FordBlueHeart
Logistics Pro
I used a cheap under coating gun I bought for $5. It worked good, but I used a whole gallon of it.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:07 PM
powerstroker100
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FordBlueHeart
I used a cheap under coating gun I bought for $5. It worked good, but I used a whole gallon of it.
where did you buy it?

Old 01-29-2013, 08:16 PM
6.2gasser
Senior User
Definitely spray it on now.
I sprayed FF under my entire atv. I used a pressure washer when I got home from hunting to wash it and to my surprise most of the FF stayed on! Once it is applied it is very difficult to remove. So, I say perfect for the under carriages.
It is a wax base material not oil. Great stuff!!

Old 01-29-2013, 08:36 PM
FordBlueHeart
Logistics Pro
I bought it at a local auto parts store that had a paint department that supplies to body shops.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:56 PM
mnpowerstroke99duty
Senior User
Originally Posted by X1Lightning
I bought a siphon air blow gun off eBay for about $13. It's basically a blowgun you use for blowing parts off but has a tee fitting on the end with a barbed hose fitting. You just stick a hose on the fitting and I drill a hole in a oil jug cap and stick the hose in the oil. Then you just hook up the air hose and spray away. It sprays a nice light mist of oil. I sprayed every thing. I hardly had any drips and it only took a half hour at the most to do everything.

Quick Reply: fluid film question