85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,625 Likes on 1,325 Posts
Excellent idea.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:18 PM
JonWA78
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're heart is set on an FE swap I would try and find a 427. None of the engines are remotely economical to drive so you may as well go all out. If it is something you do plan on driving a lot consider a 300 six. You'll gain torque and fuel economy.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:46 PM
bobyunker
New User
Originally Posted by JonWA78
If you're heart is set on an FE swap I would try and find a 427. None of the engines are remotely economical to drive so you may as well go all out. If it is something you do plan on driving a lot consider a 300 six. You'll gain torque and fuel economy.
Actually I have been set for sometime now on a 302 or 351w. The 390 has sorta fell in my lap. Though it is at my disposal, does not mean it is the best for what I am wanting to do. That is why I am getting as much opinions, thoughts and facts as possible before committing. I have never looked into a 300 (6).

Old 02-10-2012, 12:21 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
I have always wanted a 300 six in something. It just hasn't happened yet. A couple of friends swear by them and I just like the way an inline six pulls. If I'm not mistaken, they have seven main bearings and that's a heavy duty engine in my book. I'm no hotrodder but I do tow equipment trailers and haul heavy stuff with my trucks, and I live on the the side of a mountain with a very steep road up. I may be into low end torque more than most though....... My vote is for the six. I see them on craigslist quite often. Then build a stand to run it on

Old 02-10-2012, 12:35 AM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,625 Likes on 1,325 Posts
Originally Posted by bobyunker
After doing some research I have found that Ford has three families of engines; the Windsors, Clevelands and the FE's. I have found that the 302 and the 351w have been popular for engine swapping (probably due to there reliability, accessibility of parts and etc). I have been looking for wrecked or out of commission vehicle that still runs to do a complete swap. I have been offered a truck with a 390 4spd manual to do the swamp. My goal for the truck is; 1) it will be my daily driver, 2) replace the engine (the current engine -78 Grenada inline six is going out) and 3) to be an eye catcher with some power and speed.
What are all of the considerations I need to consider if installing the 390?
That Grandad six--the 250, right? If so, it has the same bell pattern as the 302 and 351w. Not sure the bell off the six will work, but it would be worth checking and would give you the easiest way to go. Note the 300 uses the same pattern. While it is a fine engine, you mentioned "Power and speed". Not unless you hot rod it, and then you'll still be under a Mustang or lightly massaged 302..... Yes, they make their torque down low, but it's actually the same number, sometimes a tiny bit more or a bit less than a 302, which hits the number a few hundred to 1000 rpms higher.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:18 AM
tbirdscott
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JonWA78
You'll gain torque and fuel economy.
Over what? If you are comparing to an FE, 302, or 351W it has the lowest tq and hp ratings of the bunch except in the 70's engine where it is almost dead even tq with a 302. The 300 makes tq at a lower rpm, that is what all the hype is.

Also I havent met a 300 that gets any significant improvement in fuel mileage over a winsdor V8 and I have daily driven three big sixes in my experience and four Windsor V8's so I am not just repeating hearsay.

Common myths

You said you want something with power and speed that you can daily drive without breaking the bank, that doesnt sound like a 300 at all. Keep on searchin for a 302 or 351 One will pop up. Have you tried placing a wanted add locally?

Scott

Old 02-10-2012, 09:07 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Hey, I said I never even owned one.....

Old 02-10-2012, 10:24 AM
rgs4x
Mountain Pass
Are you sure you want a 390 with gas approaching $4 a gallon. Your best mileage will be no more than 10 mpg. Just something to think about.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:20 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 637 Likes on 570 Posts
Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod
That Grandad six--the 250, right? If so, it has the same bell pattern as the 302 and 351w. Not sure the bell off the six will work, but it would be worth checking and would give you the easiest way to go. Note the 300 uses the same pattern. While it is a fine engine, you mentioned "Power and speed". Not unless you hot rod it, and then you'll still be under a Mustang or lightly massaged 302..... Yes, they make their torque down low, but it's actually the same number, sometimes a tiny bit more or a bit less than a 302, which hits the number a few hundred to 1000 rpms higher.
If you want a old sixer, go back to the 223 that came with that era truck anyway!

Yes the 300 has tons of torgue. The last one I had was in a short box '95 with AOD. I live on a very steep hill that is very rough. Several times I have hauled well over a ton and a half of gravel or coal or wood. This requires going slow so as not to break springs on the holes. That old 300 would just purr it's way right on up the hill. I was more afraid of the tranny giving out first. Oh the way we abuse our trucks! Oh and by the way, with every thing tuned up, running correctly and empty, I could never get over 15 mpg. Of course that inclided my hill as well.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:23 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
So Spurredon, you're a hillsider too? Must be tough with that upstate snow? Do you have to plow it yourself? We just get mostly lots of rain and temps in the 40s and dreary here. I had wanted to post this pic of another six I have, as well as an example of my running in test stand, but for some reason I wasn't able to get on or post for a while, and when I finally could, I couldn't post pictures. I was thinking maybe the moderator shut me off ..... Seems every day I flip flop about whether or not to put this cummins 6ATfrom a ups truck in my fridge. Sure runs nice, and the fan would be 1 1/2" back from the radiator with no butchering......I will start a thread for that and stop the hijacking. GB

Attached Images  
Old 02-12-2012, 11:58 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,362 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Originally Posted by GB SISSON
I had wanted to post this pic of another six I have, as well as an example of my running in test stand, but for some reason I wasn't able to get on or post for a while, and when I finally could, I couldn't post pictures. I was thinking maybe the moderator shut me off ..... GB
I`m not aware of a reason for us to do that, it`s likely a glitch somewhere between your computer and this site or programs your using. See if it helps if there`s a problem by logging off and then back on.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:20 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by GB SISSON
So Spurredon, you're a hillsider too? Must be tough with that upstate snow? Do you have to plow it yourself? We just get mostly lots of rain and temps in the 40s and dreary here. I had wanted to post this pic of another six I have, as well as an example of my running in test stand, but for some reason I wasn't able to get on or post for a while, and when I finally could, I couldn't post pictures. I was thinking maybe the moderator shut me off ..... Seems every day I flip flop about whether or not to put this cummins 6ATfrom a ups truck in my fridge. Sure runs nice, and the fan would be 1 1/2" back from the radiator with no butchering......I will start a thread for that and stop the hijacking. GB
Not much snow this year. I have an '88 F1504x4 with a plow for that function. It's a typical "yard", truck but does what I need it too. I have always liked the looks of those cummings. You definately have enough back bumper to counter weight it! LOL! Is your current engine tired or are you just playful? Personally, I enjoy my Fridge looking like a Fridge under the hood as well. But hey, it's not a 350 so knock your sox off!

Old 02-13-2012, 08:55 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
My current 223 is yet untested. The truck is not registered or insured so I only drive it about 5 miles east or west of here. I think if I was to be TOTALLY honest is I kinda like the sound of the cummins when I fire it up.... Lets face it. The cost of diesel is way up and the extra mileage is negated by the cost. Heck, it's way higher than premium gas here......For me, the fridge is a hobby thing , kinda like golf, but Sooo much more fun. Though I have to admit I never tried golf. I'd rather stick pins in my eyes........

Old 02-14-2012, 03:49 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

If you ever do play golf, if you are anything like me, you best make sure you change and put on a shirt with a collar and tuck it in cause those little fellas are into lookin' a certain way!

And you're right, a diesel is a head turner when they start up!

Old 02-14-2012, 10:31 PM
H K
Freshman User
I'm putting a 390/c6 into my '62...to me it's the only period "correct" motor to replace the 223... My 62 has more in common techwise with your fridge than the later twin I-beam jobs so install wise it should be very similar. Don't care about gas mileage, this is a putter/parade truck. Your mileage may vary.
Plus, FE's are just cool. Trans-dapt has the motor and tranny cradles to make it a reasonable install, I've got some pictures of my progress over at the 61-69 forum.
Good luck in whatever you choose, just be wary of any motor offered as a 390. It is probably a 360 which is a wheezy, but gutty truck that performs better when turned into a 390 The only way to tell the difference is measuring the stroke, easily done with a plug out and a long dowel.
I lucked out, my 360 turned out to be a 30 over 390.

Quick Reply: Considering installing 390 in 59' F100 stepside shortbox