Oregon Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: 892504x4

2012 BS Thread Extraordinaire! "Let the BS flow"..........

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 01:50 PM
Seabiscuit-P3
Hotshot
Received 4,367 Likes on 1,332 Posts
I was looking at the trip check camera's. Interesting how no snow in one and another just a couple of miles away shows a pretty hefty accumulation. Looks like it is mostly South of us.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:20 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
A little history here. This one's for Don:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aVuu0-q8dQ

From http://www.motorcycleinsurance.com/w...-racing-video/ :

"This film was made on April 24, 1921, at the Beverly Hills Speedway in Los Angeles, California. The film is an important document in the history of motorcycle racing as it captures the short-lived Beverly Hills Speedway (1920–24) gives us all a look at the Albert “Shrimp” Burns, one of the top dirt and board track racers of the time.

"Burns set a new speed record of 102.5 miles per hour for a stock motorcycle in competition at this event despite crashing – at speed – in a race earlier that day. Burns came back bloodied and bandaged to run in the final race of the day on a borrowed bike.

"For all his bandaged glory and tough guy badness, Burns bought the farm just four months later at age 22 on a track in Toledo, Ohio.

"We are fortunate, at least, that his moving image lives on in this precious film preserved by the Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum.

"About the Film
The single surviving 35mm nitrate print of Beverly Hills Board Track Racing, donated by the son of a former Indian Motorcycle dealer, was preserved by the Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum in 2002, with a grant of contributed services from the National Film Preservation Foundation.

"The film preservation work was donated by Cinetech and the video reference copy created through a gift of Erickson Archival Telecine."

Enjoy!

Pop

Old 03-21-2012, 03:50 PM
SasquatchZilla
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice vid Marv!

I really like the classic motorcycle stuff. If I could afford it I'd get a bunch of classics, but in the mean time I'll just chop the jap stuff, cuz it's fun and cheap!

What fun times on the road this morning. Saw numerous people "ditched", one accident which looked liked it happened pretty early, but both cars had been abandoned for a while and had a few inches of snow on them. One was a red primered first gen Ranger and the other some small import of some kind. Since my work van's been broke down I drove the truck in. Man is it sweet to have 4wd, great tires and the where with all to drive well in bad weather! Pitty those fools in the ditch! Then I laugh and drive on!

Old 03-21-2012, 03:58 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by SasquatchZilla
What fun times on the road this morning. Saw numerous people "ditched", one accident which looked liked it happened pretty early, but both cars had been abandoned for a while and had a few inches of snow on them. One was a red primered first gen Ranger and the other some small import of some kind. Since my work van's been broke down I drove the truck in. Man is it sweet to have 4wd, great tires and the where with all to drive well in bad weather! Pitty those fools in the ditch! Then I laugh and drive on!
While you are driving in snow, I just got off the phone with a gal in Chicago. It's eighty degrees there today! She was laughing about the screwy winter they've had.

Keep your sheet metal safe, my brethren!

Pop

Old 03-21-2012, 04:27 PM
SasquatchZilla
Laughing Gas
Yeah, one of my friends said something about it being 70. I told him we're supposed to get the weather and you guys are supposed to get snow.

Stopped by a truck place near the gate way mall to look at toppers(canopies) for the truck. Gag! 1500! No thanks

Old 03-21-2012, 06:13 PM
The Woodhauler
Senior User
Rained all day here, real soggy. Temp is suposed to dip below freezing tonight.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:19 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Afternoon Mike. We've got a little over 3" of damn snow, and the weather guessers are saying 2-3" MORE.............I'm sure ready for spring. Oh ya, it's the second day of spring already.................Somewhere..............

Old 03-21-2012, 06:37 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
A little history here. This one's for Don:

Hall of Famer Shrimp Burns Goes All Out at 1921 Beverly Hills, Calif., Board Track - YouTube

From When Board Track Racers Were the Kings of Hollywood – Motorcycle Racing Video | MotorcycleInsurance.com :

"This film was made on April 24, 1921, at the Beverly Hills Speedway in Los Angeles, California. The film is an important document in the history of motorcycle racing as it captures the short-lived Beverly Hills Speedway (1920–24) gives us all a look at the Albert “Shrimp” Burns, one of the top dirt and board track racers of the time.

"Burns set a new speed record of 102.5 miles per hour for a stock motorcycle in competition at this event despite crashing – at speed – in a race earlier that day. Burns came back bloodied and bandaged to run in the final race of the day on a borrowed bike.

"For all his bandaged glory and tough guy badness, Burns bought the farm just four months later at age 22 on a track in Toledo, Ohio.

"We are fortunate, at least, that his moving image lives on in this precious film preserved by the Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum.

"About the Film
The single surviving 35mm nitrate print of Beverly Hills Board Track Racing, donated by the son of a former Indian Motorcycle dealer, was preserved by the Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum in 2002, with a grant of contributed services from the National Film Preservation Foundation.

"The film preservation work was donated by Cinetech and the video reference copy created through a gift of Erickson Archival Telecine."

Enjoy!

Pop
Thanks for posting this Marv! Those old board tracks were SCARY........Having been involved with Indians for the last 50 years I've got to meet some of "the old racers" These guys had gonads the size of basketballs! Two of them, Sammy Pierce, and Hap Alzana helped me build the Indian I ride today..........I think I was born way to late. I would have been one of them if I had my way.............

Old 03-21-2012, 07:14 PM
joe_13894
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SasquatchZilla
Stopped by a truck place near the gate way mall to look at toppers(canopies) for the truck. Gag! 1500! No thanks
I bought the truck, a matching canopy and a truck camper all set up together as one package. I didn't realize how much the toppers went for until the OO pulled out the receipts for the canopy.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:21 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
About 6-8" of white crap in Eug/Springfield...........Town is damn near paralyzed.
Even the tow truck went off in the ditch!.........These people in Eugene are clueless about driving in the snow.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:26 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Evening Dave! I thought they were clueless about life in general.....................lol

Old 03-21-2012, 07:31 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Evening, Don.............If I wasn't a workin' guy, I would have driven down to a parking lot by a busy intersection and stopped to watch the crashes.

How do you slide into the ditch in $75,000 BMW SUV with super this and that AWD?

Old 03-21-2012, 07:34 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Kinda like the idiot that was driving up and down the road here in his 4 wheeler in the snow, Just missed hitting the back of my tow truck, and slid sideways into the neighbors new car...............Nice LARGE dent in her car.......................hehehe...

Old 03-21-2012, 07:39 PM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Received 227 Likes on 184 Posts
Evening Oregon crew, just stopping in for a quick one. Don, found out tonight, we may have a bidder on the house, I'll know tomorrow. I sure hope so, I've had enough of this!

Old 03-21-2012, 07:41 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Good luck Pat! I've got all my fingers crossed and pulling for ya!

Quick Reply: 2012 BS Thread Extraordinaire! "Let the BS flow"..........