Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel pump is pumping but no start

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 04:01 PM
revans9295
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i did do some before testing but had nothing to compare it too. tonite i will have them clean ( been soaking all day in chemtool ) and will do testing again to see if the spray pattern changes any . it didnt seem like they was dirty to me but like you said on cold starts it may not be getting enough fuel . they cycled on and off with my toggle switch while releasing fuel when opened then shutting off also didnt see any drips because off leaking. tonite if i dont see a change they will be sent off for re-conditioning .i want them right the first time so there will be no question about them. i will let you know.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:33 PM
Slip ford man
Posting Guru
I don't think the injectors are your problem...when you get her back together install good plugs and wires if you haven't already done so. Then attempt to start her with your foot to the floor board, on your throttle.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:55 PM
revans9295
Senior User
Slip ford man - what are u thinking it might be ? I have already tried foot to the floor starting.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:43 AM
Slip ford man
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by revans9295
Slip ford man - what are u thinking it might be ? I have already tried foot to the floor starting.

No not really thinking anything, just that injectors are not likely the problem. I will reread the thread but I am wondering if you drained the tanks and replaced the fuel filter. Your problem sounds like contaminated fuel (water). An easy way to drain the tanks is to use a marine outboard motor fuel line and squeeze ball (be sure to have it long enough to reach lowest part of tank), install into the fuel fill neck, drain both, then remove filter.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:18 AM
revans9295
Senior User
I checked the injectors last night. There seems to be a cosiderable difference in the way they spray. So they was dirty but not stopped up. Do yall see any reason to have them bench tested ? The gas that was drained from the two gas tanks was put in my old farm truck 77 f250 4x4 and it has run not good but it has run so if it had water in it it was not much. I even put some in a jar to see if it seperates. It has not. So still thinking. ...

Old 12-29-2011, 07:49 AM
Slip ford man
Posting Guru
How were the tanks drained, what was found in the filter?

Old 12-29-2011, 08:31 AM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I checked the injectors last night. There seems to be a cosiderable difference in the way they spray. So they was dirty but not stopped up. Do yall see any reason to have them bench tested ? The gas that was drained from the two gas tanks was put in my old farm truck 77 f250 4x4 and it has run not good but it has run so if it had water in it it was not much. I even put some in a jar to see if it seperates. It has not. So still thinking. ...
No based on what you said and not if they all spray and are all doing so in a pattern that appears consistent across all of them.

Put them back in see how it runs.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:32 PM
revans9295
Senior User
the tanks was drained with a in-line fuel pump and the filter didnt seem dirty but the pressure came up a pound at the fuel rail and there was more volume of gas when i pushed the schrader valve.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:58 PM
Slip ford man
Posting Guru
The truck starts/runs when you introduce fuel/either, you have good fuel pressure at the time of starting...I would guess that your tanks are contaminated and that you also need to install a new filter...all the water will be at the lowest part of the tank & up if not recently agitated. You may also what to remove test/inspect the IAC, TPS, ECT, etc. but I don't think they are in play here....how could it possibly be the injectors, if the motor starts/runs with gas/either?

Old 12-29-2011, 05:47 PM
revans9295
Senior User
I got time to test the injectors better this time. I'm using a 6ml syringe with the needle end cut off and it fits tight on the injector then using the plunger to push it through. When I set it on my bench and fill the syringe with b12. Some of it leaks through. So it failed the leak test right ? Then on some when I turn them on it flows fine but when I turn it off I can still push a small stream or drips through it with the syringe. So do you think with them acting like this the truck stayed flooded or can a EFI get flooded. ?????

Old 12-29-2011, 06:12 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
I got time to test the injectors better this time. I'm using a 6ml syringe with the needle end cut off and it fits tight on the injector then using the plunger to push it through. When I set it on my bench and fill the syringe with b12. Some of it leaks through. So it failed the leak test right ? Then on some when I turn them on it flows fine but when I turn it off I can still push a small stream or drips through it with the syringe. So do you think with them acting like this the truck stayed flooded or can a EFI get flooded. ?????
No fuel should leak through them when closed, IE no power applied to the injector.

You're gonna have to take them all apart and do a real thorough job clean/inspecting them, you might be able to save them if you do, or just break down and replace the set.

My 94 runs good, real good in fact however I'm seriously considering ordering a new set for it, they are original around 100K on em now. Thinking maybe gain just a slight improvement in performance and equal maybe even greater boost in its fuel economy, the later enough to fairly quick recoup cost at rate feed it fuel every couple days.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:43 PM
revans9295
Senior User
where is a good place to get cheap injectors or get these fixed and cleaned ?

Old 01-06-2012, 08:55 AM
revans9295
Senior User
just an update . i should be getting my injectors back today and will be putting them in this weekend . keep the fingers crossed.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:53 AM
revans9295
Senior User
Ok. Danr1. Here we go. I have new injectors ,plugs , plug wires , dist , cap , rotor. I'm sustaining 38 psi at fuel rail and while cranking. Still no start. Help

Old 01-07-2012, 01:02 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Ok. Danr1. Here we go. I have new injectors ,plugs , plug wires , dist , cap , rotor. I'm sustaining 38 psi at fuel rail and while cranking. Still no start. Help
I been waiting for results of new injectors and gotta say little surprised it made no difference and add to say at least for the moment I am stumped.

Gonna have to review the whole thread look for anything overlooked first time around.

The fact it runs and runs well when manually introducing fuel via the throttle body suggests everything else works, least good enough for it to start and run.
Sensors are acting has enough air/compression at right time etc etc.

Something it originally died from, that obviously remains the issue reason PO bought new fuel pumps.
What you stated about conditions of the injectors yea would have been a problem, would have cause it to run poorly but apparently not "the" problem.

Quick Reply: fuel pump is pumping but no start