1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Dad's Truck Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 12:17 PM
Yaga1973
Elder User - What???

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad to see that you had a fun time on your vacation, that you've reached 200 pages, and that you're getting things in order (like you wouldn't have done so anyway)!

I'm going to have to agree with your impetus to change over to a hydraulic clutch. You've got the space, you know where to get the parts for the conversion and the reinforcement (I'd use Terrapin too), and you can stop second guessing where that clunk is coming from. From an ease in operability standpoint, you won't have any custom made parts and whoever inherits your truck will be able to use stock components to repair it.

Old 05-26-2013, 01:36 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Good points, thanks. I actually have everything to convert to hydro save for the throw out arm, which I cut up to change the leverage. So it should be easy.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:48 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Ordered the reinforcing plate from Terrapin MFG today. Jason says he will ship it on Tuesday.

Old 05-27-2013, 03:43 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Cleaning the shop is a bummer. But, as Bruno and Jon/jstitts can attest, it badly needs it. In fact, Bruno's text message on Saturday read "Dang, you have Dad's truck APART!" Guess he figured that from the fact that the shop looks like the fasteners on several trucks magically disappeared and the parts just fell off. So, I spent some time on that today, as well as getting Brownie's brake calipers out of the dirt, Jon.

But, all work and no play...... So I spent some time "playing" by cutting out the driver's side air inlet on the core support. As the pictures show, now you see it and now you don't. (Yeah, I know those are two different core supports - some of us aren't smart enough to take true "before" pictures but are blessed with several of everything to take pictures of.) Ditto the jack handle clips as one was broken so I'll have to replace it and I want the core support to get a good coat of paint.

Then I really played by thinking about the dual snorkel air cleaner. Here's a picture of what I'm thinking about, although this has the inlets going into the fenders and I'll pull air from either side of the radiator. In fact, I think the angle between the snorkels on that air cleaner is too wide for my application as it would cause too abrupt of a turn in the cold air hose. Anyway, the plan is to run a single temp control and dual flappers. However, only the passenger's side will be open for hot air as I only want to run one stove. So the flapper on the driver's side will decide if any air is let in or not since the "hot air" opening will be closed up. Anyway, thanks to Bruno I have one very good HO air cleaner and one "ok" air cleaner. So I'll meld them by grafting the snorkel onto the good one. And, I'll powder coat everything - probably black for the lower part and I may polish the aluminum upper and clearcoat it. But, I'll have to figure out how to put the lettering back on if I do it 'cause I kinda like it. After all, it is a 5.8L (at the mo, but that might change as well) and it does have a 4V carb.

Attached Images      
Old 05-28-2013, 09:16 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Marshall plans to make a blasting room in his shop using a bunch of PVC pipe and plastic sheeting so he can do all the blasting indoors to keep the humidity down. So I took the core support to him as well as my Eastwood dual-pot blaster and 100 lbs of soda. And I ordered the cab corners from Tabco. Hopefully he'll be able to make some progress on the cab and get the project off high center.

Also, I'm now looking for a grommet kit. Do any of you know if JBG, LMC, etc sell a grommet kit for the cab?

Old 05-29-2013, 10:19 AM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Cleaning the shop is a bummer. But, as Bruno and Jon/jstitts can attest, it badly needs it. In fact, Bruno's text message on Saturday read "Dang, you have Dad's truck APART!" Guess he figured that from the fact that the shop looks like the fasteners on several trucks magically disappeared and the parts just fell off. So, I spent some time on that today, as well as getting Brownie's brake calipers out of the dirt, Jon.

But, all work and no play...... So I spent some time "playing" by cutting out the driver's side air inlet on the core support. As the pictures show, now you see it and now you don't. (Yeah, I know those are two different core supports - some of us aren't smart enough to take true "before" pictures but are blessed with several of everything to take pictures of.) Ditto the jack handle clips as one was broken so I'll have to replace it and I want the core support to get a good coat of paint.

Then I really played by thinking about the dual snorkel air cleaner. Here's a picture of what I'm thinking about, although this has the inlets going into the fenders and I'll pull air from either side of the radiator. In fact, I think the angle between the snorkels on that air cleaner is too wide for my application as it would cause too abrupt of a turn in the cold air hose. Anyway, the plan is to run a single temp control and dual flappers. However, only the passenger's side will be open for hot air as I only want to run one stove. So the flapper on the driver's side will decide if any air is let in or not since the "hot air" opening will be closed up. Anyway, thanks to Bruno I have one very good HO air cleaner and one "ok" air cleaner. So I'll meld them by grafting the snorkel onto the good one. And, I'll powder coat everything - probably black for the lower part and I may polish the aluminum upper and clearcoat it. But, I'll have to figure out how to put the lettering back on if I do it 'cause I kinda like it. After all, it is a 5.8L (at the mo, but that might change as well) and it does have a 4V carb.

Gary,

LMC has the decal for $8.50. It is part #42-0112. I'll attach a link.

LMC Truck - Shopping Cart

Old 05-29-2013, 10:24 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by 1986F150six
Gary,

LMC has the decal for $8.50. It is part #42-0112. I'll attach a link.

LMC Truck - Shopping Cart
Cool! Why didn't I think of that!?!? That'll let me polish the aluminum, powder coat it clear, and then apply the decal. Thanks, a bunch.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:31 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
While it isn't technically work on the truck, it is a result of the truck: I cleaned, put away, and organized the shop some more today. And I put these things in the attic to get room to work:
  • Transmissions: NP435 & a C6
  • Transfer cases: Two NP208's and a BW1356
  • 3 core supports
  • 2 radiators
  • 3 A/C condensers
  • 2 air cleaners
  • 3 doors
  • 2 HVAC boxes and associated ducting
  • 2 pair of front fender liners

And, while that is quite a bit, there is a lot more to go, including bumpers, seats, an engine, exhaust systems, a couple of dashes, 4 wheels & tires, and lots of trim. Wow, it is amazing how many parts there are to these trucks. But, I have to have the shop clean and room to work since I'll soon start media blasting and powder coating things. That's when the fun begins!

Old 06-01-2013, 12:12 AM
CudaChick1968
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you can get that decal made up in vinyl, you can embed it right IN your powder coating.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:45 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Leanna - I was unaware that vinyl would take the temps required to cure powder. But, having perused your web site I'm betting that you know. Thanks for that tip. And, I'm jealous of your oven as mine is 6x3x3 and the extra foot in height, not to mention in width, would be fantastic.

And, welcome to FTE. What truck do you have? (No problem having Ford trucks and Mopar cars - I have a 69 Bee as well.)

Old 06-01-2013, 11:05 AM
CudaChick1968
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Leanna - I was unaware that vinyl would take the temps required to cure powder. But, having perused your web site I'm betting that you know. Thanks for that tip. And, I'm jealous of your oven as mine is 6x3x3 and the extra foot in height, not to mention in width, would be fantastic.

And, welcome to FTE. What truck do you have? (No problem having Ford trucks and Mopar cars - I have a 69 Bee as well.)

Thank you Gary! As you can probably imagine, it's a bit different for me making an appearance on a Ford forum to say the least -- especially trucks lol -- but I just couldn't ignore it after reading the great intro about my work that tbm3fan posted on your board a few days ago.

The only truck I've got, a 1983 model, has a mean 440 under the hood and boasts an emblem you probably don't want to hear about. Truth be told, the only Ford in the stable is an awesome, very well used 1964 2000 Series 4-cylinder compact tractor named Nellie.

I've embedded vinyl decals into quite a few pieces. The only ones I've had an issue with are bright white decals which tend to fade / discolor a bit with the heat. They look especially fantastic under a candy translucent powder ...

Dang it, I just realized I can't post pictures in a thread on this board without a URL link. Grrrr, that's kinda frustrating (maybe I have to have more posts to my credit or something first??). For those who have FaceBook, they can check it out in the meantime.

This is a Dodge Magnum control arm in Illusion Lite Blue with a vinyl decal my customer found on the internet somewhere for Harley gas tanks ...

... and that same control arm with its topcoat of Peeka Blue ...

My 7-foot oven took almost five months to build working every night but the effort was well worth it.

Thank you for the warm welcome and for taking a few minutes to check out my website. I surely appreciate it!

Old 06-01-2013, 11:23 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Leanna - I don't know what the qualifications are for posting, but hopefully one of the moderators will come along and tell us. I'd like to see the parts but don't use FB.

And, how 'bout posting a link to the post where tbm3fan plugged your work?

Old 06-01-2013, 11:28 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Supporters can post directly from their computers. Non-supporters have to post to a site like PhotoBucket, etc.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:03 PM
CudaChick1968
Freshman User
Ahhhhh, thank you for the clarification there fabmandelux! Celebrating my shop's 6th Anniversary yesterday, I have never once paid anybody to show off my work or for formal advertising (except to get business and postcards printed) and have no intentions of starting now. Word of mouth is the best advertising that money can't buy and it's what PSC will continue to rely on. I have no problems helping to support a site ... but I need to feel like I'm a part of it first if you know what I mean.

Gary, tbm3fan's post is entitled "Customization."

Old 06-01-2013, 12:33 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Leanna - I've now read the thread, drooled over the pictures, etc. Very high praise, and well deserved. My paltry powder coating efforts pale in comparison.

Quick Reply: Dad's Truck Build