Sponsored by: Moser

First report on my peragon bed cover

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 11:18 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
First report on my peragon bed cover

Ok, it's been about six weeks since I received my cover. I've never had a flat cover on a truck and didn't quite know how I would like it. I've had fiberglass toppers on a couple of different trucks but they were both short lived as I really like an open bed better, till now.

As stated previously in my posts, this an aluminum cover that folds like an accordion inside the bed. When folded, it consumes about 5 inches of bed space.

The cover and it's hardware are now fully seated and everything operates smoothly and easily. I've had occasion to lock valuables in the bed and never gave them a second thought.

I've hauled numerous items with the cover in it's stowed (folded) position and have never been happier.

The cover is not 100% waterproof. It will leak especially when driving. There is some vibration in the cover with the truck cruising at highway speeds. This is to be expected.

The cover lock is easy to operate and has a neoprene rubber cover. The front seal and the tail gate seal do a pretty good job. A friend of mine has flat fiberglass cover that is 100% water tight but the trade off is the $1000 price tag and the limited accessibility.

All in all, I'm very happy with my cover. I'm very pleased with how it makes my truck look and I especially love the added security and utilitarian use that I can get from my truck bed. If I had to haul something that was sensitive to the tiny amount of moisture that gets in my bed, I'd store those items in a plastic tote.

Peragon Retractable Aluminum Truck Bed Cover - Premium Design. Affordable Price..

Heath Copp has made a nice offer to the FTE family until 11/27/11.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:22 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Glad to hear you're having good luck with your new Peragon bed cover. I'm especially impressed with the looks of the locking mechanism. It looks like a fairly secure setup.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:49 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by shortride
Glad to hear you're having good luck with your new Peragon bed cover. I'm especially impressed with the looks of the locking mechanism. It looks like a fairly secure setup.
With the locking tailgate, you'd have to be a pretty bad dude to get into the bed.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:03 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
People around here haul their dogs around in the bed. I use to carry my Golden Retrievers around in the bed as well until I started putting tonneau cover on. They will not even get in the bed now so I have to haul them in the back floorboard with the seats folded up. I don't carry anything of any value in the bed anyhow so the BakFlip does a good enough job I guess. I think the pooches have gotten use to the AC this past summer.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:16 PM
BMWBig6
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are any of the accordian-style or segmented bed covers waterproof? I loved the (factory Ford) soft tonneau on my Lightnings, especially because nothing ever got wet.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:18 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by BMWBig6
Are any of the accordian-style or segmented bed covers waterproof? I loved the (factory Ford) soft tonneau on my Lightnings, especially because nothing ever got wet.

The Peragon cover used neoprene rubber at all seems and mounting points and it's guarantied to 100% waterproof, but very close.

As for the fellas who have other types of retractable covers, I'd like to read their input.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:05 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Very few manufacturers of tonneau covers actually claim 100% waterproof-ness. Actually the only ones that could even be considered would be the one piece hard fiberglass covers that wrap over the top and slightly down the sides of the bed rails.

I have a very economical soft roll up and it's nearly waterproof. Occasionally in really heavy rains will I get some water in, but it's less than a cup full (8oz. cup). I also installed a bedrug for liners that keeps my cargo elevated just slightly and out of any possible water. Mine seems to leak in from the top of the tailgate.

Anyhow...Tim that does look like a great cover. I'll be curious to see how it is affected by ice (maybe snow if you get any this year) and it's operation with that. I know the guys with the roll-n-lock have issues with debris, etc and the canister.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:11 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by MCDavis
Very few manufacturers of tonneau covers actually claim 100% waterproof-ness. Actually the only ones that could even be considered would be the one piece hard fiberglass covers that wrap over the top and slightly down the sides of the bed rails.

I have a very economical soft roll up and it's nearly waterproof. Occasionally in really heavy rains will I get some water in, but it's less than a cup full (8oz. cup). I also installed a bedrug for liners that keeps my cargo elevated just slightly and out of any possible water. Mine seems to leak in from the top of the tailgate.

Anyhow...Tim that does look like a great cover. I'll be curious to see how it is affected by ice (maybe snow if you get any this year) and it's operation with that. I know the guys with the roll-n-lock have issues with debris, etc and the canister.
Those are great points Chandler and that's why Peragon purposely avoids the canister type cover and why they increased the size of the rollers and the channel that they ride in. Only a good snow storm will prove weather they are on the right track or not.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:00 PM
juneau76
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm really glad that you're posting some positive comments on here about this cover, Tim. I was really excited about it when you first posted about the purchase. So much so, that I emailed the company with questions. I'm not one to flame people of the open boards, but, sadly, that email did not get a reply. I kept following your comments and decided to PM Heath on here to get a little personal interaction from someone at the company. That received no reply either. It may sound crazy after all that, but I think I'm still going to buy one from them anyhow based on your success story. Not to mention that I basically know what it will look like on my truck after seeing yours.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:35 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by juneau76
I'm really glad that you're posting some positive comments on here about this cover, Tim. I was really excited about it when you first posted about the purchase. So much so, that I emailed the company with questions. I'm not one to flame people of the open boards, but, sadly, that email did not get a reply. I kept following your comments and decided to PM Heath on here to get a little personal interaction from someone at the company. That received no reply either. It may sound crazy after all that, but I think I'm still going to buy one from them anyhow based on your success story. Not to mention that I basically know what it will look like on my truck after seeing yours.
I'm sorry that Peragon nor Heath are responding. I do know that Heath has been on a family vacation but you gotta come to work eventually. I just sent Heath a PM, we'll see if I'm met with the same results.

Based on my experiences thus far, you'll be happy as hell and most truck owners will become immediately intrigued.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:25 PM
Peragon
PLATINUM SPONSOR
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by juneau76
Hi Brad -

I apologize for my delayed response. We were away on a family vacation and I just got back into the office yesterday. My inbox grew fangs, so I'm digging out now!

I'm embarrassed by our apparent lack of response to you. Our normal response time to email is very quick - often within minutes and for sure on the same day. I've sent all the details you've given me here to our customer service team to find out if they can locate your original email and determine if we responded or not and when. I'm hoping we find out a response was sent, but didn't make it to you for whatever reason. We often have trouble with some email services filtering emails we send to customers.

I'd appreciate your order and I'm confident you'd be impressed with our product. If I can answer any other questions, please let me know and I'll be happy to help.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:32 PM
Peragon
PLATINUM SPONSOR
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MCDavis
I'll be curious to see how it is affected by ice (maybe snow if you get any this year) and it's operation with that.
Hi Chandler -

Good question on the winter issues with retractable truck bed covers. Like Tim mentioned, an advantage our design has is we don't have any closed space (canister) where ice and snow can build up and cause problems during the winter. If our cover is iced over, you can tap around the perimeter of the cover to break the ice free, then brush it off and open the cover without a problem. We're located in far northern Minnesota, so designing a cover that works well through the worst of the winter was a top priority!

Old 11-14-2011, 10:50 AM
juneau76
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just to close the loop on this, I did receive a reply via PM from Heath. I am told that two emails were sent in response to my original inquiry. I have no junk/spam filter on my archaic email, so I can't explain where in cyberspace they may have gone. I still have a lot of frustration over the whole issue, but I would recommend that anyone interested in their product reach out to them and not use my personal experience as a basis for any purchase decision.