1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Air ride suspension compressor relay

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 02:58 PM
BAD RONALD
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air ride suspension compressor relay

The original compressor on this '01 4x4 front & rear system has stopped working. I want to bypass the relay to see if the compressor runs. Is it easier to access the relay from underneath the truck looking up or by moving the windshield washer reservoir?

Old 01-25-2014, 08:49 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by BAD RONALD
I want to bypass the relay to see if the compressor runs. Is it easier to access the relay from underneath the truck looking up
Yes.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:20 PM
BAD RONALD
Tuned
Originally Posted by pdqford
Yes.
Thanks for the reply Jim.

Can't wait to lie on the ground tomorrow. At least it will be a quick check.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:57 PM
BAD RONALD
Tuned
I bypassed the relay by jumping the connector. The compressor started up. Does this relay fail ordinarily or has a compressor problem caused it to fail?

I plan to install SMP relay #RY319 unless otherwise advised.

Amazon.com: Standard Motor Products RY319 Relay: Automotive Amazon.com: Standard Motor Products RY319 Relay: Automotive

Old 01-27-2014, 02:34 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bypassed the relay by jumping the connector. The compressor started up. Does this relay fail ordinarily or has a compressor problem caused it to fail?

I plan to install SMP relay #RY319 unless otherwise advised.

Amazon.com: Standard Motor Products RY319 Relay: Automotive
Before spending the money, I have ask... Is the suspension light on in the dash?
Did you reset the air compressor button under the passenger side dash?

I believe the 01's are set up the same as the 99's.

That relay isn't cheap!

Old 01-27-2014, 05:13 PM
BAD RONALD
Tuned
Originally Posted by r2millers
... Is the suspension light on in the dash?
Did you reset the air compressor button under the passenger side dash?
Check suspension light is not on. I'm unaware of a compressor reset button. Where is it located under the passenger dash exactly?

Old 01-27-2014, 05:30 PM
Mark62
Tuned
after my 2nd relay, I replaced the air ride suspension
for less than it would have cost to fix it. 99 EBExpy

Relay goes out because:
1. it cycles too much due to system leakes
2. motor runs too much causing it to wear out and require more amps to run...

Such a vicious cycle....

The air ride suspension switch is located on the passenger side, above the kick plate, in the corner, out of sight

Old 01-27-2014, 08:29 PM
BAD RONALD
Tuned
Originally Posted by Mark62
The air ride suspension switch is located on the passenger side, above the kick plate, in the corner, out of sight
I'm familiar with the switch. Gotta use it every time the truck goes on the lift. It is operational, powering the air suspension on and off. I'm unaware of any other "air compressor button under the passenger side dash".

I'll likely convert the system before I replace the relay a second time. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:48 AM
BAD RONALD
Tuned
Anybody have experience with Standard Motor Products parts?

Kinda hard to justify $122+ higher price for the OEM relay. Especially when I have had really good luck with $8 Ebay COPs. If the cheap relay can last until warm weather when I can evaluate systemic air ride condition, I'll be happy.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:12 AM
alloro
Received 4,196 Likes on 2,432 Posts
Kinda hard to justify $122+ higher price for the OEM relay.
You can save $92 and pick up a used one on eBay for around $29.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:45 AM
BAD RONALD
Tuned
Originally Posted by alloro
You can save $92 and pick up a used one on eBay for around $29.
Your solution for OEM is even better than that .

OEM F3LZ-2C013-B is around $200 online, higher locally. For a relay for cryin' out loud.
The RY319 is $78 new with free shipping (Amazon Prime).

$29 is a very inexpensive risk if a taxed compressor fried the original relay.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:45 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

I'm familiar with the switch. Gotta use it every time the truck goes on the lift. It is operational, powering the air suspension on and off. I'm unaware of any other "air compressor button under the passenger side dash".

I'll likely convert the system before I replace the relay a second time. Thanks for the heads up.
Yes, that's the switch I'm referring to. It's a switch to deactivate the system as well as a reset button once the suspension light comes on.

Mark is right... System leaks overheat the compressor with continual use. Check your air bags first, the small air connector just over your power steering unit on the drivers side. Both go bad.

I had to replace the rear bags after 10 years. They do wear out and after having to reset the system often, I knew I would do more damage shortly if not.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:08 AM
BAD RONALD
Tuned
Yes, that's the switch I'm referring to. It's a switch to deactivate the system as well as a reset button once the suspension light comes on.

Mark is right... System leaks overheat the compressor with continual use. Check your air bags first, the small air connector just over your power steering unit on the drivers side. Both go bad.
I didn't notice unusual compressor activity before it quit working and the rear end bottomed out. The front looks normal to me. It has been really cold here in New England lately, maybe a leak has been exposed or a tired compressor has had to work harder and it cooked the relay. Anyway, an airbag check is gonna have to wait until it's warmer unless an obvious failure presents.

If the compressor is struggling and the system holds air, can I switch off the system once the suspension has been raised and drive the truck safely?

Old 01-28-2014, 10:22 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

I didn't notice unusual compressor activity before it quit working and the rear end bottomed out. The front looks normal to me. It has been really cold here in New England lately, maybe a leak has been exposed or a tired compressor has had to work harder and it cooked the relay. Anyway, an airbag check is gonna have to wait until it's warmer unless an obvious failure presents.

If the compressor is struggling and the system holds air, can I switch off the system once the suspension has been raised and drive the truck safely?
I think it would be a good test to turn off the switch and see if it does hold air, and for how long.

If the bags are still good but your run them low, you can easily do damage to them.

I personally wouldn't drive it unless an emergency. Remember that the system adds and subtracts air as needed and with it off, it might still let air out when driving based on the leveling sensors.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:16 AM
BAD RONALD
Tuned
I think it would be a good test to turn off the switch and see if it does hold air, and for how long.

If the bags are still good but your run them low, you can easily do damage to them.

I personally wouldn't drive it unless an emergency. Remember that the system adds and subtracts air as needed and with it off, it might still let air out when driving based on the leveling sensors.
Understood. Thank you for your answers.

The truck was driven a few local miles with the rear end down. Fingers crossed there's no harm done.

Quick Reply: Air ride suspension compressor relay