6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

250 miles/per full tank..what gives?!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 05:53 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 80 Posts
So..If I wish to subscribe to the theories of MPG according to XB70, I must accept a few simple facts:

1. Threads on the subject of MPG are totally useless, so I should just shut up now.
2. Most of the people who "attempt" to calculate their MPG are not capable of doing so. I guess due to the addition and division and stuff.
3. Most of the people fueling their trucks have no idea how to do so consistently.
4. XB70's truck is tuned and maintained to such a degree it can be considered "the standard" by which all others may be judged.
5. the terrain and traffic/road conditions necessary to accurately calculate MPG only exisits in the enviroment in which this truck resides.
6. some of us (not pointing any fingers) are liars.

I appecriate you've spent considerable time studying this issue, and I'm sure your numbers are right for your truck but by your own admission there are too many variables to accurately (as in NASA accurate) calculate MPG. How ,in good conscience, can you put your experiences and numbers against someone else's with a such a degree of confidence that you can justify calling them liars? You may know how you got your numbers but have no idea how they got theirs.

P.s. I already know my spelling sucks.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:00 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Me thinks this thread is turning into an oil thread. Everybodies wrong and everybodies right. Could go on for 10 more pages and still be in the same spot.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:59 PM
Capital Customs
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 69cj
Me thinks this thread is turning into an oil thread. Everybodies wrong and everybodies right. Could go on for 10 more pages and still be in the same spot.
Me Thinks you may have something here. but.

Most 6.0L Trucks should be getting alot more miles on a tank of fuel then 250. I know if I start getting that and can`t fix it I`ll sell it.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:45 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Capital Customs
Me Thinks you may have something here. but.

Most 6.0L Trucks should be getting alot more miles on a tank of fuel then 250. I know if I start getting that and can`t fix it I`ll sell it.
You are 100% correct but at this point till the truck is checked out by someone that is competent everything is speculation and we will get absolutely no where. JMHO.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:31 AM
XB70
Elder User
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
So..If I wish to subscribe to the theories of MPG according to XB70, I must accept a few simple facts:

1. Threads on the subject of MPG are totally useless, so I should just shut up now.
2. Most of the people who "attempt" to calculate their MPG are not capable of doing so. I guess due to the addition and division and stuff.
3. Most of the people fueling their trucks have no idea how to do so consistently.
4. XB70's truck is tuned and maintained to such a degree it can be considered "the standard" by which all others may be judged.
5. the terrain and traffic/road conditions necessary to accurately calculate MPG only exisits in the enviroment in which this truck resides.

I appecriate you've spent considerable time studying this issue, and I'm sure your numbers are right for your truck but by your own admission there are too many variables to accurately (as in NASA accurate) calculate MPG. How ,in good conscience, can you put your experiences and numbers against someone else's with a such a degree of confidence that you can justify calling them liars? You may know how you got your numbers but have no idea how they got theirs.

I can put my observations up against everybody else because I bothered to actually make observations.

If my truck is in proper operating condition, there is no way a 4X4 6.0 with a 5R100 that weighs more and has bigger tires will get higher MPGs in regular driving than I get feather footing at a steady 52 MPH on a deserted road over 55 miles.

Most people lie about MPG.

Most people can't divide or multiply. They can add only after taking of their gloves and shoes. But, that only gets them to twenty.

Most diesel owners refuse to spend and extra 5 minutes at the pump topping off their tanks.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:31 AM
2006powerstroke90
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod

I agree with you 100%

It seems like everyone on here is just trying to prove someone wrong some where...

I just does not make sense, I start the thread for advice or things to maybe look out for...and only few peole helped out...

People just feel the need to bicker I guess....

Old 08-05-2011, 12:49 AM
Snuggyworm
Postmaster
Smile

just read somewhere that if you have aftermarket tires and lift kit, it will affect your MPG. what is probably needed is to probably re-program your computer to accept the new height of the truck with the new tire size, then your computer / message center can come closer to the actual MPG. it's not entirely accurate, but that's an estimate. after the re-programming, it may be off by about 1 to 2 MPG, but it will show numbers closer to what you got now.

hope this info helps.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:23 AM
Capital Customs
Elder User
Originally Posted by 69cj
You are 100% correct but at this point till the truck is checked out by someone that is competent everything is speculation and we will get absolutely no where. JMHO.
correct., and for everything one person that tries to help and gets good mpg you will have two that will call bull. not all of us are as dumb as a rock as XB70 has stated or thinks. The op does have an issue with his truck and we need to see what happens after the repairs. good luck.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:23 AM
amadas350
Senior User
was that the first tank that went only 250 miles.

is it possible someone syphoned some diesel out of your tank?? how has the tank after that been for milage.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:22 AM
2006powerstroke90
Postmaster
No one took diesel out of my tank..

Im going up to the camp ground tonight so ill see how it goes.

capital- xb70 is not dumb as rocks, he has actually had many good points in other threads.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:49 PM
2004 F-250 PSD
Freshman User
wow this got out of hand quick, let us know what the conclusion is.....

Old 08-05-2011, 01:07 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 2006powerstroke90
I agree with you 100%

It seems like everyone on here is just trying to prove someone wrong some where...

I just does not make sense, I start the thread for advice or things to maybe look out for...and only *few peole helped out..

People just feel the need to*
bicker I guess....
Ur right of course. I didn't mean to contribute to the hijackin of your thread. Just felt the desire to pipe up after reading a couple of unnecessarily rude and condescending posts.*

On the other hand, there were responses to your issue ranging from "it ain't broke-mine does the same thing" to "sell it".
My guess would be anything that would cause it to run rich on the mixture. I wouldn't have a lot of hope about changing the filters. They may need changing but I would expect a lean condition from that. Maybe some trash got through them and is messing up an injector or two but seems like you would notice it running badly. Might sound stoopid but have you been into the air filter lately? Maybe left a rag or something in there, or chipmunks built a nest or something. Does your truck have the EGR flapper in the intake elbow? It might be stuck. I thought _ME2_ was the voice of reason (and humor) through this thread. And a few others agreed. Change the fuel filters and see how the next tank goes. I would add watch the mirrors often for smoke and post back. We'll be glad to scratch our heads over it with you.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:11 PM
2006powerstroke90
Postmaster
No you didnt hijack at all.

Well I drove it today went 100 miles and used 1/4 of a tank, which is really good for me.

I tryed my best to keep it under 2k but for some reason there were a lot of A holes on the road.

The only time i got a bucking is when i hit the limiter doing 95.

You know, honestly, i should probably change my air filter.

Would that really decrease my mpg but much?

Things I did, adjust to proper air pressure in tires, clean egr valve, and drain the W/F sep.

From a dead stop to the floor i notice a little black smoke, i have a habit of looking in my mirrors frequently looking for white, blue, or black smoke.

Im still thinking it needs a ford visit though. so smoke the motor for exhaust leaks, and test the injectors.

but i have looked and felt everywhere i could on the exhaust for soot or air and i didnt see or feel anything. im not giving up hope , but appreciate any ideas

Old 08-05-2011, 04:30 PM
Teds
Senior User

if i was having your issue i would def be seeing how many gallons it holds, maybe somebody switched out the tank and it is a 18 gal tank...

Old 08-05-2011, 05:08 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
When you say 1/4 tank are you going by the gauge or did you top it off? That top 1/4 goes a lot farther than the bottom one. A bad dirty air filter makes a big difference on a gasser I'm not sure if it's more or less on a diesel. There's an indicator on housing you can check easy, if it's in the red press the reset and it will climb right back up there after a couple of high RPM runs. I don't want to sound like a cheerleader for it but a ScanGauge is a good inexpensive way to learn a lot about what's goin on under your hood. I would snag one if you plan on keeping your truck awhile. Have you seen the check engine or wrench light on?

Quick Reply: 250 miles/per full tank..what gives?!?