6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

6.4 Bio Diesel ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 05:56 PM
pog23
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
Why go to all this extra effort of additives, trying to get the premium stuff and cetance booster if it is so good?

That alone tells me just get the good stuff and stay away from it.

In addition, since at least here in the lower 48 one cannot truely expect it will be the 5% vs some other known percentage I think it best to stay away from it if possible.
it really is a personal choice to run cetane stuff, i get it cheap so i choose to run it. well we own a husky so i just fill up there and husky only offers diesel max. i actually go through all over our diesel invoices from bulk delivery and do the math to make sure its b5. its within +.5% of 5%. how it works our last invoice was for 2980L of B5 delivered, when i look at our detailed invoice is says 2830L ULSD and 150L B100 Diesel. 150/2830= 5.3% bioD. i know this wont apply for every other diesel store but i do check ours out.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:16 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
being a former 6.0 guy, I used to run bio in my 6.0 and only had 1 issue running to strong a mix in the winter( had to change my fuel filters) I wouldnt hesitate to run it....It seems that opinions run ramped on this site...... I know multiple people that run bio in 7.3's , 6.0's and 6.4's and none have had any major issues. I wouldn't hesitate to run it in my 6.4, but I dont think I would push the issue.....(b-5 that is)

Old 07-28-2011, 06:26 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by pog23
we were doing head studs. i would do severe duty maintenance regardless of b5 or reg diesel. i work with 4 different gas stations in the lower mainland and talk to diesel customers constantly and have never heard of b5 diesel issues. a customer that drives from bc to alberta and uses b5 diesel in his 6.4 doesnt even remember when the fuel filters were last run and his truck runs strong. now im not saying he wont have potential problems from not servicing his rig im just saying b5 isnt bad. 6.0, 7.3 and older motors have been running fine on b5. its diesel not water. and if it was so bad they wouldnt allow it to be sold to the public who knows nothing about diesels or bio blends because they could be held responsible. maybe ford recommends to do the severe package to get and extra cash grab out of people running b5 or home made blends. or its for emissions junk.. well if you havent deleted the dpf (i know most people here still have the dpf on) your truck is suffocating anyways so if you think b5 is gonna kill your motor, the dpf will beat it to it.
You might be interested in the EPA report on the impact of bio diesel fuel on DPF technology. I posted it on this forum around december 13 to 15.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:33 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
It is worth mentioning here that the 6.4L is very different from either the 6.0 or the 7.3. The 6.4L has a DPF. Bio is harmful to a DPF equipped diesel. It enters the engine oil during the exhaust cleaning cycle and dilutes it. It is harder on the engine than regular diesel because a lot of the diesel dilution frfom regular diesel will "boil" out of the oil. The bio will not. As I said above, see the EPA report on the subject posted under my signature on December 13 to 15. It would seem to me that if the DPF has been deleted then the bio would be no harder on the 6.4 than on any other diesel.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:10 PM
pog23
Junior User
b5 or reg diesel shouldnt be the issue lol. should be get rid of the dpf and be environmental friendly by running bio diesel.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:40 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
It is worth mentioning here that the 6.4L is very different from either the 6.0 or the 7.3. The 6.4L has a DPF. Bio is harmful to a DPF equipped diesel. It enters the engine oil during the exhaust cleaning cycle and dilutes it. It is harder on the engine than regular diesel because a lot of the diesel dilution frfom regular diesel will "boil" out of the oil. The bio will not. As I said above, see the EPA report on the subject posted under my signature on December 13 to 15. It would seem to me that if the DPF has been deleted then the bio would be no harder on the 6.4 than on any other diesel.
I guess i'm good!
dont forget what stupid things the EPA comes up with..........I dont recall seeing any issues posted on the forum(s) about BIO causing a failure or major issue?

Old 07-28-2011, 07:41 PM
Rudiak
Tuned
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Some states only sell Bio. For example when I was in Illinois I had to use I think it was B15. The guy told me that's all they sell in Illinois. No straight diesel.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:46 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Rudiak
Some states only sell Bio. For example when I was in Illinois I had to use I think it was B15. The guy told me that's all they sell in Illinois. No straight diesel.
Let me guess your motor blew up?

Old 07-28-2011, 07:53 PM
pog23
Junior User
lol @ slowmans. i just wouldnt cancel a trip over bio diesel. thats just silly.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:56 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
im also a little confused since bio has less emissions all around, its a cleaner fuel..........it shouldnt really bother the DPF? I know when I used to buy B-100 and mix it in my 6.0 if I spilled it on the cement, it was gone in a few hours unlike diesel fuel.....

Old 07-28-2011, 10:04 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by slowmans
im also a little confused since bio has less emissions all around, its a cleaner fuel..........it shouldnt really bother the DPF? I know when I used to buy B-100 and mix it in my 6.0 if I spilled it on the cement, it was gone in a few hours unlike diesel fuel.....
I'm no chemist but the guys who did the test for the EPA are. I'm just a messenger. They did say in their final conclusion " biodiesel did not cause significant harm to the tested engines even when tested for 200,000 miles, which is twice the expected life of a diesel engine". That may not be a perfect quote but it's pretty darn close. Problem was, as I read the report data it seemed evident to me that it was causing harm. Guess it depends on your definition of harm. And, of course I've never expected any diesel to last only 100,000 miles.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:43 AM
wp6529
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm no chemist but the guys who did the test for the EPA are. I'm just a messenger. They did say in their final conclusion " biodiesel did not cause significant harm to the tested engines even when tested for 200,000 miles, which is twice the expected life of a diesel engine". That may not be a perfect quote but it's pretty darn close. Problem was, as I read the report data it seemed evident to me that it was causing harm. Guess it depends on your definition of harm. And, of course I've never expected any diesel to last only 100,000 miles.
The problem of course is that chemists are not diesel mechanics and don't have a good perspective on what damage is significant, nor the expected life span for a diesel engine.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:52 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by wp6529
The problem of course is that chemists are not diesel mechanics and don't have a good perspective on what damage is significant, nor the expected life span for a diesel engine.
Yep, I've often wondered how many diesel trucks I could find in the EPA employees' parking lot. The EPA was needed in the 70s and did a good job cleaning up some nasty places. I lived in Birmingham AL then and I can tell you they needed help. But, like other government programs they have to keep expanding the mission or close down. They had all the real problems taken care of 20 years ago. All they do now is find carpet tack problems and drive them with 30 pound sledge hammers.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:05 AM
cglenn
New User
I could be wrong but I thought that someone did a somewhat scientific analysis of minor biodiesel blends which showed significantly better lubricity than just straight ULSD. If I recall the ratio was at B2. Therefore if this study is correct wouldn't it be significantly better on our engines, durability wise, to run a very low blend of bio ?

Old 08-02-2011, 07:45 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Best I recall the study I read and posted addressed only the effects of bio on DPT equipped diesels. That might have been in there and I just don't recall.

Quick Reply: 6.4 Bio Diesel ???