Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New To Ford: Inline 6 to 5.0 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 10:09 AM
nstueve
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SCRebel
I can see how in some states is can be illegal, but how is it bad advice.

If he put a v8 in (302, 351w) and wanted fuel injection he would have to have a complete truck harness (SD), I believe the 4.9 and 5.0/5.8 harness are different, or get a harness from a mustang and splice it into the origiional harness. He would also have to have a computer for a MT or AT trans (depending wheater he has a AT or MT). He would have to have another fuel rail, injectors, ect. Not counting that with the mass air you have to use the car intake, or a lightning intake.

If he put carb on all he would need is a $50 fuel pump, $50 carb, $100 intake, and the elctronic ingition off of a 80-86 carbed f150 ($50) and he would be rolling. Then if he wanted to do mods later he could (351w, cams, heads, stroking ect)
If he has a AT (ie E40D) he would need the stock computer since the AT is electronically shifted. Or he would have to buy a horendously expensive stand alone computer... OR he would have to swap transmissions...

If he has a donor car with the harness all he has to do is hard wire in the harness and find the right truck computer... put donor fuel rails in from car... and swap the towers and engine mounts over... NO intake, no carb, no fuel puimp, no ignition... plus you are still 50 state compliant.

I know we are all having a ball here commenting on this but we don't know what the OP's goal is and the actual condition of the 300 I6...

Old 07-15-2011, 10:16 AM
hondasux
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you all for the replys and so far most are helpful. The truck has 310,000 miles on it. It cam lowered with aftermarket 16" wheels and is pretty much already setup for street. The bed (not really my taste) is a flare side and has a tunneau cover on it. The paint is flawless because it has been repainted. Manual transmission which is great. The donor car is a 1994 mustang 5.0 also with manual transmission. The car has 70,000 miles on it so I want to use both engine and transmission if possible. The mustang has all over damage and frame damage but it runs and drives perfectly, just too much damage to try to restore. From what I gathered, I will need the v8 mounts and towers which is not hard to get. Since I'm going from map to maf, I'm assuming running the whole 5.0 harness and somehow splice into the factory truck harness in order to run he lights and other electrical components. Some posts said to use the truck intake manifold but is hat necessary?

Old 07-15-2011, 10:22 AM
hondasux
New User
Sorry got my last post in right after nstueves. So the mustang computer is a no go? And looks like mustang manifold is good. So far this swap sounds easier and easier

Old 07-15-2011, 10:26 AM
KevinGnWV
The village idiot.

Originally Posted by hondasux
Thank you all for the replys and so far most are helpful. The truck has 310,000 miles on it. It cam lowered with aftermarket 16" wheels and is pretty much already setup for street. The bed (not really my taste) is a flare side and has a tunneau cover on it. The paint is flawless because it has been repainted. Manual transmission which is great. The donor car is a 1994 mustang 5.0 also with manual transmission. The car has 70,000 miles on it so I want to use both engine and transmission if possible. The mustang has all over damage and frame damage but it runs and drives perfectly, just too much damage to try to restore. From what I gathered, I will need the v8 mounts and towers which is not hard to get. Since I'm going from map to maf, I'm assuming running the whole 5.0 harness and somehow splice into the factory truck harness in order to run he lights and other electrical components. Some posts said to use the truck intake manifold but is hat necessary?
I'd keep that bed if it were mine.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:30 AM
nstueve
Postmaster
OK... picture coming into view now... if your going street/strip the truck a 302 would be good.

You'll need to use the truck transmission I am pretty sure the T5 or w/e 5spd in the car will not fit the truck or will be a huge pain. the good news is that the 5.0 computer and harness can be moved over to the truck and ditch the 4.9l computer. I'm not sure how the harness and computer all wire in but it sounds like ur on the way to a cool truck. The only reason you'd need to get a different computer is if you needed to run a E40D transmission (which you don't!) so your 5.0l mustang computer will work fine!

Also you might want to check into a 10in vs 11in clutch... I don't think the 4.9L flywheel will work with the 5.0l so you'll need a flywheel for a M5OD 302 combo. You might be able to use a 11in clutch with that... depends on whether the flywheel is drilled for the 10, 11, or both. I think you could use a F250HD 302 flywheel and it will be drilled for the bigger clutch... Either way the M50D in the truck will bolt straight to the 302 no problem.

As far as the HE lights and other accessories I would make sure you have a 3G alternator so you have at least 95 amps... I'm pretty sure a 94/95 mustang 5.0 would have had a 3G though... As far as wiring the accessories you should be fine as long as you have a 3G but if you add aditional lights and accessories I would put a fuse panel under the hood and run power the the fuel panel and then to the accesories. This way you protect your electrical system and it make diagnosis of electrical problems easier later.

KEEP THE FLARESIDE! I love their look (lifted or lowered)....

Also I'd PM conanski (Paul) and ask about cam options... you might as well juice the engine up a little if you are swaping motors and going to have them out!

Intake, computer, and engine harness all go together into the truck!

WHERE THE HECK ARE THE PICS OF THE TRUCK???????????????????????????????

WELCOME TO FTE!

Old 07-15-2011, 10:38 AM
KevinGnWV
The village idiot.

Originally Posted by nstueve
OK... picture coming into view now... if your going street/strip the truck a 302 would be good.

You'll need to use the truck transmission I am pretty sure the T5 or w/e 5spd in the car will not fit the truck or will be a huge pain. the good news is that the 5.0 computer and harness can be moved over to the truck and ditch the 4.9l computer. I'm not sure how the harness and computer all wire in but it sounds like ur on the way to a cool truck. The only reason you'd need to get a different computer is if you needed to run a E40D transmission (which you don't!) so your 5.0l mustang computer will work fine!

Also you might want to check into a 10in vs 11in clutch... I don't think the 4.9L flywheel will work with the 5.0l so you'll need a flywheel for a M5OD 302 combo. You might be able to use a 11in clutch with that... depends on whether the flywheel is drilled for the 10, 11, or both. I think you could use a F250HD 302 flywheel and it will be drilled for the bigger clutch... Either way the M50D in the truck will bolt straight to the 302 no problem.

As far as the HE lights and other accessories I would make sure you have a 3G alternator so you have at least 95 amps... I'm pretty sure a 94/95 mustang 5.0 would have had a 3G though... As far as wiring the accessories you should be fine as long as you have a 3G but if you add aditional lights and accessories I would put a fuse panel under the hood and run power the the fuel panel and then to the accesories. This way you protect your electrical system and it make diagnosis of electrical problems easier later.

KEEP THE FLARESIDE! I love their look (lifted or lowered)....

Also I'd PM conanski (Paul) and ask about cam options... you might as well juice the engine up a little if you are swaping motors and going to have them out!

Intake, computer, and engine harness all go together into the truck!

WHERE THE HECK ARE THE PICS OF THE TRUCK???????????????????????????????

WELCOME TO FTE!
And since he CAN use the car's computer, he could leave the engine as is i.e. intake etc. Just to clarify his earlier question.

EDIT: You answered that. It wasn't showing up until I looked at the page again. OOPS!

Old 07-15-2011, 10:47 AM
nstueve
Postmaster
yeah sorry I have a tendency to go back and edit my previous posts so they answer more questions or are clearer...

Old 07-15-2011, 10:58 AM
KevinGnWV
The village idiot.

yeah sorry I have a tendency to go back and edit my previous posts so they answer more questions or are clearer...
No problem Still can't rep you though, sorry.

And please, Mr hondasux, if you don't want the bed...sell it, donate it, or trade it. But please don't crush it!

Old 07-15-2011, 11:13 AM
SCRebel
Posting Guru
If he has a AT (ie E40D) he would need the stock computer since the AT is electronically shifted. Or he would have to buy a horendously expensive stand alone computer... OR he would have to swap transmissions...

If he has a donor car with the harness all he has to do is hard wire in the harness and find the right truck computer... put donor fuel rails in from car... and swap the towers and engine mounts over... NO intake, no carb, no fuel puimp, no ignition... plus you are still 50 state compliant.

I know we are all having a ball here commenting on this but we don't know what the OP's goal is and the actual condition of the 300 I6...
I see what your sayin, and I like my EFI. I guess when it comes to toys and hot-roding I like the older ways. lol.

Just to be sure, I thought the car and truck motor mounts and towers were different. Thats how it was with my 87 and the 85 Thunderbird.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:20 AM
SCRebel
Posting Guru
if it was me, I would keep the mass air harness and computer, and try to find someone to trade the mustang motor for a 5.8, then put the mass air on the 5.8.

BTW the 5.0 mass air computer will run the 5.8. Also the 4.9 and 5.0 use the same clutch and pressure plate, but different flywheels.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:06 PM
nstueve
Postmaster
if it was me, I would keep the mass air harness and computer, and try to find someone to trade the mustang motor for a 5.8, then put the mass air on the 5.8.

BTW the 5.0 mass air computer will run the 5.8. Also the 4.9 and 5.0 use the same clutch and pressure plate, but different flywheels.
Yes the clutches are probably both 10in... but if you get a F250 5.0 flywheel you can put a HD 11in clutch on... Pretty sure on that, at least something to check into...

x2 on the 5.8L! you'll get better low end torque and better overall HP on a jucied up 351w!!!!!!! There are tons of guys on here that will tell you the 351w is a better truck motor than the 5.0L but i didn't want to push that since he already had the 302 sitting there. the 351w would by far be my choice on a lowered f150 street machine! your talking 210 HP and 325 TQ from a stock 351w... With cam, headers and some gt40 heads! BAM!!! street machine just got out of puberty and grew a pair!

I see what your sayin, and I like my EFI. I guess when it comes to toys and hot-roding I like the older ways. lol.

Just to be sure, I thought the car and truck motor mounts and towers were different. Thats how it was with my 87 and the 85 Thunderbird.
Yes that's right... You need truck towers and motor mounts. I suggest pulling the towers from a junkyard truck and getting new motor mounts.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:08 PM
nstueve
Postmaster
Originally Posted by KevinGnWV
No problem Still can't rep you though, sorry.
darn and I'm only 3pts away from 3 green squares... (sarcastic tone)... LOL... No worries you can get me next time.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:22 PM
KevinGnWV
The village idiot.

darn and I'm only 3pts away from 3 green squares... (sarcastic tone)... LOL... No worries you can get me next time.
Yeah i'm lackin 3 pts for my 2nd square.

Ok everybody rep everybody else in this thread!

I am partial to the 5.8 myself, but I already have one. He already has the car engine and all the electrical goodies to go with it so, why not. With a little tuning he will still be kickin butt with it.

PICS PLEASE! That means now, and the swap too. We want documentation! We crave it! It's like....greasemonkey **** or somethin lol.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:03 AM
88dually
Elder User
Ford ****...lol

Old 07-16-2011, 08:09 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 992 Likes on 783 Posts
The mustang T5 will swap into the truck.. meaning it's been done, but I don't know what issues if any there will be with the mounting backet or the shifter location which is towards the tailstock vs up near the belhousing with the truck transmissions. There may also be interference with the Mustang accessories and the frame so a set of truck brackets might be a good idea. A V8 truck rad would also allow the use of stock V8 rad hoses but the I6 rad can be utilized with some custom hoses. The Mustang fuel rail is also different then the truck version but if you pull the extension hoses that connect the rail to the chassis lines you should be able to make it work.

Quick Reply: New To Ford: Inline 6 to 5.0 Swap